Screenshot_20180301-192701 (resized).png
Screenshot_20180301-192946 (resized).png
bd5f117a77113f12799f5fbe24b064a5 (resized).jpg
256zp1 (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
zzzz1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180217-064537 (resized).png
The_Wizard_of_Oz_Judy_Garland_Terry_1939 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 6 years ago

They priced me out. I'm glad they are around and I'll play them at shows or friends houses but it's simply not worth the money. I can't get that much fun out of a game and there are a ton of other things I'd rather do with my money. Good for them if they can sell enough $9500 and up games to stay in business.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Wait till your main board goes bad on the shitty spike system past the 90 day warranty. That'll be the nail in the coffin.

You mean when they send you a replacement for free and provide good support like they pretty much always do?

Typical pinside, every JJP thread turns into a stern bash fest.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Yeah, this issue has been doumented since day one, so they won't be able to just stop with the support.
Thus far, they have been very good in support dept, but the real problem is how much time it has wasted. I also feel bad for the players tha continually drop in coins only to have to deal with intermittently weak flippers. Not much fun to play a game that does not even flip consistently.

That sucks, sorry it's been such a pain.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I find it funny, yet ironic, that this thread started off as a jab at JJP by a known Stern supporter and is ending with current stern quality issues.

I personally find the stern and jjp nonsense annoying and old. Every thread ends up with the same people gushing about one and bashing the other and then the same people that always do the opposite.

Both have made good games, both have made some meh games, both have had QC issues, both have had playfield issues, both have provided good customer support for the most part, and both have consistently jacked up prices.

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Tax cuts have nothing to do with politics. It’s about the bottom line, jobs, productivity, wage increases etc and manufacturers like pinball will be receiving a 20% income exclusion
And I can guarantee you Sterns decision to hire more people and the salaries they pay will be somewhat dictated by tax cuts.
That’s what business does. Across the board. To think it will have no impact on the business of pinball is asinine

More people are great, I honestly would prefer a 2 year code completion and a 20% price decrease. Everyone would be a lot more patient if stern pros were $4100 again. But we know that's not going to happen.

#151 6 years ago

I think it's going to be interesting to see the Iron Maiden reveal next week. The thing that got so many people excited about POTC from JJP was it has a new designer that clearly put a not of new ideas and that this is my first game passion into it. I think people like that JJP doesn't seem to hold design features back and just prices the game more if needed so that the designer doesn't have a lot of restrictions. For me that makes the games higher then I will pay for them. I'm glad that others are willing too though. Next week we find out what stern has done with Keith's first game. Did they hold him back and remove a ton of stuff? Will it be exactly what Keith wanted and if so what's the price going to be? Will this be sterns response to POTC or is it just business as usual. I'm excited to see.

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I spoke with a large JJP dealer yesterday regarding when he thought Potc would be released and the answer I got was probably not for another 6 months. seems like a long time to me.

That's definitely an issue for JJP. People seem willing to wait for their games but they loose a lot of momentum between announcement and actual delivery of games. That's something that JJP will have to get a handle on at some point if they can keep growing.

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

even IF they dont butcher it... It should be the same price. It does not have many more mechs than a typical Stern, just 4 flippers. If people are dumb enough to pay thousands more for 2 extra flipper mechs then they will be sure to charge it... Sad that people are even regurgitating this storyline they want you to believe. Going beyond 17 coils should NOT add big bucks to the end cost of a game.

It appears DI has picked up steam and WOZ is still selling. This tells me they are just using that time to put more polish on POTC before it delivers which is a great thing! I woudl say if anything that POTC seems like they did a nice job of stealing the show and getting tons of orders last fall, did a nice hype bump with the live stream last week, and will likely get more bumps from the refined game being for play at TPF and MGC this spring show circuit. If anything, it seems they have extended the hype train better than most with this one.

Story lines mean nothing to me, I'm excited to see Iron Maiden because it's from a new designer and hopefully that will bring some fresh thoughts and designs to the table. I'm also expecting normal stern pricing but that seems to not be as normal with every release these days. Every company seems to find a reason for a price increase.

No real clue how DI has sold. Seems like it is doing OK, not setting the world on fire but selling steady and being received well from what I've heard but I do not know JJP's numbers. It plays well but the theme will hold some people back from it. As for the hype drain I do not agree, the people that are already in are getting more excited and that is who you are mostly hearing from. Others that didn't bite at first have moved on and may circle back around once shipping and the kinks are worked out or may just move on period.

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Woz will always sell good game shitty theme but why do you think DI picked up you can still buy a CE and they only made 150 of them

It's a really well done game that possibly shoots better then any other game made in the last 20 years. I think it will continue to sell for several years. The theme and call outs are what holds it back for me. Otherwise there isn't much you can knock on the game for. Some people will not like the code but you simply cannot make everyone happy when it comes to code or art for any game.

As for the CE's it was there first attempt at it and it was a straight money grab after seeing BM66. People shouldn't be buying that thing as it gives you pretty much nothing other the LE model. So it can't come as much of a surprise that they are not selling fast. The LE is the best value on this one.

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

lol
you are grasping for something now. Pathetic and sad all with one short post.

Quoted from JY64:

JJP threads have 12 post in the last 24 hr not counting this thread so I doubt they are setting the gaming world on fire

You made me agree with Whysnow.

I hope you are happy with yourself.

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If they dont change something with the next release, it is obvious the tides have turned.
They can not continue to put out stripped back games, lacking or even alpha code at delivery, poor/cheaper construction, and frankly aweful issues with the spike 2 system at the current prices. Something has to change in a big way as they wont continue to float by on the coat tails of JJP prices or big themes selling games (look at GOTG as example and SW before that).
I am fine paying current prices if they can get their shit in order. I am done with striped back, crap code games, and poor quality at their current prices.

People have been saying the same thing about stern for 10 years. It's like the pinball bubble that everyone thinks is about to pop.

SW is an awesome game. Lots of fresh new stuff and while the code at initial launch looked a little rough, Dwight knocked it out very quickly. GOTG clearly looks rushed and I think the code on it is a mess that doesn't feel right for the game. I think it shoots great and looks good though. A little too much of a IM/Met copy for most peoples tastes though.

Quoted from Skyemont:

Good points. I know ALL companies have to make $$$. I understand that. But, who pays the salaries of these companies. WE DO!!! So if we are not happy, sales stop, people lose jobs, companies go out of business. Plain and simple. Sometimes when I look at these pins stripped down, I have to look twice to make sure I'm not looking at a Zizzle.

What exactly looks like a Zizzle? Some of guys go way over the top with your exaggerations. If you don't like the game just don't buy it. If sales drop stern will change some tactics, if they don't then they are not going to really care if you like their games or not.

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I wouldn't call them zizzles, but "feature-laking" would probably be a better term for it. I think most people agree that SW could have been so much more. I'm not debating the condition of the code since been improving at a steady pace since launch.

That really depends on what type of pinball experience you are looking for. I would say SW is one of the fastest most intense pinball experiences ever created. If you like that type of game you will love it. If you want a little slower game with a bunch of ball interaction features then you are going to like DI better. No matter how SW was made people were going to bitch because no 1 game is going to make everyone happy.

Personally I would not want them going back and making SW into what some of you wanted. I like it how it is even though I didn't think I would like when it was initially launched.

#225 6 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Ha! Now this made me laugh! No way in hell you actually believe that...Is that you Gary Stern?!

Come over to my place and we will play some. Maybe you can let some of your hate down enough to enjoy yourself?

The game is super intense, maybe it's just not your style?

Quoted from Rockytop:

He listens to the Pearl Jam satellite station non stop, so I think all the years of trying to figure out what Eddie Vedder is saying has caused some brain damage.

As soon as Eddie figures out what he's saying he's going to let me know so I can die in peace.

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

That's perfect. Don't tell me the lyrics to Yellow Ledbetter though...I like to mix it up, and make up my own every time it comes on.

There's a boxer and a bag and some SOB's that won't waive on that damn porch. I know that for sure.

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Those guys on the porch don't sound friendly...they're probably on pinside then

Probably bought a stern without complete code, waiting on Zidware, Alien, and TBL deliveries, mad at the colors on their AFMr playfield, and are trying to figure out how to have fun on TH.

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I'm a Stern employee

Oh yeah, well according to someone in this thread I'm Gary Stern. So as your boss get to work on my Led Zeppelin pin.

Can't we all just agree that jjp makes good games but they have crazy prices? And that stern makes a different style but still great games that are also over priced? I think a more accurate title is all pinball companies are pricing themselves out of business.

#381 6 years ago

I heard they are offering a much better real model ship in a bottle for purchase afterwords that makes the CE one look silly.

See, it's fun to make up stuff and watch guys that spend 12.5k heads explode

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-jjp-pricing-itself-out-of-business?tu=jgentry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.