Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Capinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“I this ok”

• Yes 82 votes
      59%
    • No 56 votes
      41%

(138 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

smoking!_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpg
    download_(3)_(resized).jpg
    example_vaps_(resized).PNG
    aI0eZyW_(resized).png
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 8 years ago

So my question is......Is it wrong to randomly PM pinside members and ask them if a game in their collection is available for purchase even though there is no ad. Lately I've been getting PM's from members mostly with less then a year under their belt asking me to sell them games. Maybe I'm wrong but this drives me bananas

#2 8 years ago

No way. I sell a lot of games like that it seems. If someone didn't like it I'd recommend not adding that game to the collection

#3 8 years ago

I'd say if they asked in a polite way it's not a huge deal. But if it's just a DM that says nothing more than "Is your -insert pin here- for sale?" then that would be somewhat forward and rude.

#4 8 years ago

Make your collection private. problem solved.

#5 8 years ago

Package deal price for your Tron and Skateball?

#6 8 years ago

I wouldn't mind actually would welcome it but it has never happened.

#7 8 years ago

I think it's fine as long as you're not rude or pushy about it. I've gotten a few PMs here and there about a few of my games, though I'm not ready to part with most of them yet (unless there's an amazing deal/trade to be had).

However, some folks just don't like to be bothered by unsolicited queries, so it kind of depends upon the person you're contacting I suppose.

Oh, one other thing--you probably won't get a positive response if you make a unsolicited lowball offer.

#8 8 years ago

Your topic heading sais Is it wrong?, but your poll sais I this OK? Im confused.

BTW - I think it's fine to ask.

#9 8 years ago

how much for your tron?

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from chadsugg:

I'd say if they asked in a polite way it's not a huge deal. But if it's just a DM that says nothing more than "Is your -insert pin here- for sale?" then that would be somewhat forward and rude.

I'd say that isnt even rude. Its direct and to the point. I wouldnt want someone beating around the bush, when their intention is to see if my pinball is for sale from the get go.. I'd think thats disingenuous and not want to sell it if they didnt get to the point

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

how much for your tron?

$3.50

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from chadsugg:

I'd say if they asked in a polite way it's not a huge deal.

100%.

If you let Pinsiders know what games you have, this shows other Pinsiders that you are open to discussion regarding your games. Things like playability, condition, parts, and any other questions.

#13 8 years ago

The key is to buy the games nobody else wants and then you will no longer have this problem.

#14 8 years ago

I have actually sold 2 games this way and they went to great homes. If I'm not interested in selling I just let them know.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

I'd say that isnt even rude. Its direct and to the point. I wouldnt want someone beating around the bush, when their intention is to see if my pinball is for sale from the get go.. I'd think thats disingenuous and not want to sell it if they didnt get to the point

Yeah I totally get that side of it. In most situations, I'd say I personally wouldn't be upset at all by someone asking, even if it was to the point like that with none of the usual niceties. I should've put more emphasis on "somewhat" in my post.

I guess the best way to put it is that I can definitely see why some people would be taken aback by being asked out of nowhere.

#17 8 years ago

I'm on the side of the fence that this is fine as long as the person inquiring isn't pushy, rude, or throwing low ball offers.

Usually the person is local but too timid to put a wanted ad up. As long as they're cool, I'm cool.

#18 8 years ago

the thing about putting up a wanted ad or PMming members about selling a game is that you're gonna get thrown the "i'm in no hurry to sell it" price.

#19 8 years ago

The only way it's rude is if you cold call someone, and then complain about your asking price.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Package deal price for your Tron and Skateball?

I got a package for you buddy lol

#21 8 years ago

aI0eZyW_(resized).pngaI0eZyW_(resized).png

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The only way it's rude is if you cold call someone, and then complain about your asking price.

^^^^Absolutely.

Ive done it a few times (pm'd, not complained about price) and I have both bought and sold games from cold "calls" (from an Oz forum) - as a seller it's great because it saves the hassle of listing etc. and as a buyer, often if the guy you pm doesn't want to sell, he knows someone that does. Or he's selling something else.

And usually it's local guys so it's great way to get in contact with other collectors.

#23 8 years ago

Well, you do have a pretty sweet collection.

I can see if being annoying, but I think it is fine as long as it is asked in a nice way.

#24 8 years ago

We have had a couple people PM and ask.. We have NEVER sold a game... And nothing is for sale.. But I always tell people if your in our area ... Come by and play them game you want to find... Gives them an opinion on how the games works/plays.. All good.

NT.

I should add... If your in our area. Stop on in ...We are right off the INT 35.... south of..DSM.. Shoot us a PM..

#25 8 years ago

I've had two people do this, both times I sold the game. Both were games I'd intended to sell at some point in the future and just didn't get around to it yet. I don't mind them. Worst that can happen is that the person with the game you want says no.

#26 8 years ago

With having a midsize collection I get them all the time. I also get PM's for parts. Have sold a few parts but no pins. Personally don't mind it at all. I don't have a lot for sale or willing to sell much right now but it never hurts to ask.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

With having a midsize collection I get them all the time. I also get PM's for parts. Have sold a few parts but no pins. Personally don't mind it at all. I don't have a lot for sale or willing to sell much right now but it never hurts to ask.

Package deal price for your Tron Meteor and Skateball?

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

With having a midsize collection

Yeah I'd classify 50 pins as "mid-size"

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Package deal price for your Tron Meteor and Skateball?

What did you say? You want to trade me your Tron for my Meteor and Skateball! Sure bring it on over.

#30 8 years ago

Must resist.......the unbelievable comedic opportunity to send op pm's asking if pins are for sale.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Yeah I'd classify 50 pins as "mid-size"

Well I did just down size to 50. Does that count?

#32 8 years ago

I always figured it never hurts to ask. I've been asked a couple times.

#34 8 years ago

Guilty.

#35 8 years ago

Having enjoyed playing for a while and recently getting into ownership I am kind of in-between. I personally would not contact someone to ask for a specific pin. But as I've made some contacts locally I've been referred to others with collections. What I've done is said that I'm looking to purchase a pin in xxxx price range and just seeing if they had any for sale. I've generally got back what they have in the range or that they have nothing at the moment. Then I ask to keep me in mind in the future if they decide to sell. Has been pleasant and I ended up with a pin from someone who had one posted but it didn't work out, asked if they had anything else and they did.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

Must resist.......the unbelievable comedic opportunity to send op pm's asking if pins are for sale.

I've been waiting for someone to do this....nothing yet lol

#37 8 years ago

I think it's fine and I get my share of PM's about wanting to buy my games. I'm sorta flattered they think that highly of a game that I own to have the courage to send off a PM to see if I'll sell it or not.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#38 8 years ago

Off topic for a sec, how do it fix the poll. It's supposed to read "Is this ok".

#40 8 years ago

i don't want attention but am asking for it? Is this what this threads about!

#41 8 years ago

I think this thread actually exposes perhaps a need for the admin's to expand the board capabilities just a tad. One of the features I love on the KLOV/arcade-museum site is the VAPS database that allows you to list your pinball/arcade collection and boards, but additionally being able to mark them as being for sale or not. You can also add a "want" list, allowing the site to auto-matchup people that might not be actively buying/selling with WTB/FS ads, but would be willing to deal something if a buyer came along.

Here's an example:

example_vaps_(resized).PNGexample_vaps_(resized).PNG

#42 8 years ago

Back on thread.

YES, its wrong . If I want to sell a game I will list it. GTFO of my collection! I actually have 40 plus games in my inventory, I list 15 ,I have asked Robin to give me the opportunity to to keep them hidden but recorded on my personal list.(its an ideal recording system). If I want to sell it ,I WILL LET YOU KNOW. rant over

#43 8 years ago

I sold a pin 2 weeks ago this way. Funny as I wasn't looking to sell it but it had always been in the back of my mind.....came at a perfect time bc another machine in the area popped up that I'd been wanting and needed the cash for. Didn't bother me one bit.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Back on thread.
    YES, its wrong . If I want to sell a game I will list it. GTFO of my collection! I actually have 40 plus games in my inventory, I list 15 ,I have asked Robin to give me the opportunity to to keep them hidden but recorded on my personal list.(its an ideal recording system). If I want to sell it ,I WILL LET YOU KNOW. rant over

Soooo unless I'm misreading, how much were you asking for the Xenon?

#45 8 years ago

Im all good with pm's asking if I have a game for sale, everything is for sale at all times over here.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Back on thread.

Is it really that hard to just tell someone it's not for sale? Personally I like to keep my game list public in case anyone needs a picture, information or would just want to see and play a game that they haven't played before.

#47 8 years ago

I have been approached to sell a pin and I have asked other local collectors if they are ready to let a pin go. When asking I usually already have a good idea of the condition of the pin from descriptions and pics posted of their collection.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

No way. I sell a lot of games like that it seems. If someone didn't like it I'd recommend not adding that game to the collection

I only list games I have for sale in my collection. Obviously I'm not selling any games right now.

#49 8 years ago

Talking to someone and getting to know a person, then asking if anything is available is different. This is more like you just sit down to watch a movie and there's a knock at your door from some dude trying to sell you life insurance to me

#50 8 years ago

PM Sent!

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-wrong-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.