2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by stangbat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Worth restoring”

• Yes 18 votes
      53%
    • No 16 votes
      47%

(34 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 2 years ago

Just wondering is there any point in restoring playfields that you can buy new such as mm mb?

#2 2 years ago

The older PF is better than a new one.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

The older PF is better than a new one.

All depends on who restores it.

#4 2 years ago

Depends on how much work needs to be done.
    You need to add case by case to your poll.

#5 2 years ago

I guess if the pf has most of the artwork gone then your up for a new pf.

A new pf is about $800 would you buy a restored one for roughly half that on and exchange basis? If the quality was ok as we all know sometimes there may have to be a compromise.

#6 2 years ago

Compromise as in not matching exactly to original

#7 2 years ago

There is only one restorer out there and that is HSA. Kruzeman is great but he doesnt tak in PFs and Chris Hudgins does total restores on whole games. I usually buy a repro PF and keep my old one and have it restored just for shits and giggles. If I run into a game that needs a PF Ill have one. A restored PF wont dimple like a new one either and I have had more than one repro come up with very ghosted inserts to the point that it was not usable.

#8 2 years ago

Totally case by case basis. Some of the reproductions are not dimpled or drilled right, and the clearcoat job can be suspect. With a restore you run the risk of a bad paint job. There's no perfect answer. If the PF art is mostly ok, I'd do a restore. If it's pretty worked, get a repro and maybe have it cleared by a pro. My $0.02

#9 2 years ago

If you can have a playfield restored for around what a new one costs or less do it every time.
    While Mirco playfields have REALLY nice artwork and colors and the dimples are generally pretty close, the clearcoat on them is horrific.
    You simply can't hammer in T nuts like Stern does in their videos. You have to drill them [pull them in]. If you start smacking with a ballpeen hammer, the clear will crack between holes. It's so brittle. He needs to add a flex agent or change clears. Putting in wood screws will lift the clear off the screened artwork. While in many cases, when the post or lane guide or whatever is screwed down you don't see the lifted part, but in a lot of cases you do.
    Sure wish Playfield Renovations were still around. We have HSA do ours for work and with the 3 tier system they have, we've been pretty happy with their service turnaround and their clears. I would recommend them.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

Mirco playfields have REALLY nice artwork and colors and the dimples are generally pretty close, the clearcoat on them is horrific

Can you elaborate on the horrific comment? Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post. I thought your comments following the horrific statement referred to Stern playfields.

#11 2 years ago

7 votes for no. Why?

#12 2 years ago

I would rather buy a repro than have it restored. Normaly the restoration will be minimum the same price as a repro. Because i’ll only use plafields with a playfield protector i don’t mind so much about dimpling. You’re never sure if a restored pf will get ghosted inserts after a few games. I had a AFM pf restored (looked perfect at the beginning) and inserts started ghosting after only about 30 games. I bought now a Mirco AFM and that looks really nice. I don’t know how it plays and if there will be issues when installing it, but Mirco told me it has the same clear as the WOZ and TH playfields. So it should be good.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome/page/6#post-3714083

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from OlDirty:

I would rather buy a repro than have it restored. Normaly the restoration will be minimum the same price as a repro. Because i’ll only use plafields with a playfield protector i don’t mind so much about dimpling. You’re never sure if a restored pf will get ghosted inserts after a few games. I had a AFM pf restored (looked perfect at the beginning) and inserts started ghosting after only about 30 games. I bought now a Mirco AFM and that looks really nice. I don’t know how it plays and if there will be issues when installing it, but Mirco told me it has the same clear as the WOZ and TH playfields. So it should be good.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome/page/6#post-3714083

Who did this pf that ghosted?

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from OlDirty:

inserts started ghosting after only about 30 games

It's kindof a crap shoot for this. You don't really know what's gonna ghost or not.
    You can reglue inserts, but there is a risk of breaking them upon removal. Usually if it's stuck down, I leave it.

Some insert plastics react badly with clear. I believe HSA has something on their website about system 11 playfields being incompatible.

The fact is, we can strive for perfection, but all we can do is get close. No matter if you choose repro or restore, it will be better than what you had. If not, it wasn't bad enough to replace.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from OlDirty:

I had a AFM pf restored (looked perfect at the beginning) and inserts started ghosting after only about 30 games.

Same thing happened to mine. It is somewhat stable now. Some inserts are fine, but some inserts are slowly getting worse. I don't know if the inserts are moving a little bit and they should have been locked down. It could simply be due to this era of playfield as some of them are prone to ghosting (I've seen this with TOTAN, CV, my TOM, and a few others). The surface tension from the new clear when it cured may have been enough to break the old clear loose from the insert. Stinks though because it wasn't ghosted at all before the restore.

In hindsight, I wouldn't have had my PF restored and would have went with new. I figured mine was in good enough shape I may as well have it restored. And at the time the Mirco PFs weren't quite as good of a match as they are now.

So for me it would depend on the condition of the original and when it was made. If it was an original AFM, TOTAN, or CV, I'd think twice. If it was TZ, Whitewater, Funhouse, and many others, I wouldn't hesitate to have a restore done if the price and condition was right.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    £ 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 19.99
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 94.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 209.99
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 21.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside