(Topic ID: 255482)

Is it worth getting a Zizzle for a 7 year old?

By Malenko

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Malenko
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball2 (resized).jpg
    pinball1 (resized).jpg
    20191121_195006 (resized).jpg
    zizzle (resized).jpg
    1EFBDD39-5B57-4A99-849C-F8B19B000FB7.gif
    pin2 (resized).jpg
    pin1 (resized).jpg
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

My nephew came to visit a while back and he really liked playing my TMNT and Getaway. I had considered getting him some tables for "the pinball arcade" but with Christmas coming up I also thought about going a little more deluxe and getting him a zizzle.

Now I'm aware that Zizzles are the Go-Bots of pins but he is just a kid, and not my kid. Is the pirates game going to keep him entertained for a while or are they just a small step up from the plastic table top pins? I watched a youtube video of one and while its obviously too basic for me, he isn't exactly worried about getting through wizard mode on a game.

I would probably prefer to get him the Marvel Zizzle, but there's a pirates one about 2 hours away for $295 which is way past the top end of the budget I spend on my nieces and nephews but he's a good kid and this would be a one time thing. I figured if I got it now I could clean it up, maybe make it prettier, add some pirates toys and stuff like that. If its not worth it I'll get him one of those TMNT or marvel table top pins for $50.
    pin1 (resized).jpgpin1 (resized).jpgpin2 (resized).jpgpin2 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Zizzle is a tease if you already let him play with the big boy toys. Before you know it he'll be a teen.
    Go find him a $500-- EM on Craigslist to start with and fix it up together.
    -Mike

#3 4 years ago

I agree with getting an EM or early solid state. I routinely have kids of all ages (4-19) weekly at my house. The younger kids always go for my one EM, despite it being next to Stern, Williams, and JJP games. It plays slower, so is easier for them to track. Rules are simple and they love the real bells. Plus, it is a tank, so they cant hurt it.

#4 4 years ago

Really nice idea though but personally I would forget it. The zizzle is a toy and he will get bored with it.
    You won't find a beat up EM or SS for $250 or less so think of something else to give the little guy and let him play your pins when he visits.

#5 4 years ago

Yeah dont do it. They break too and support from zizzle is low.

#6 4 years ago

Friends don't let friends Zizzle...

#7 4 years ago

Get folding stool at Home Depot and a real coin op pinball

#8 4 years ago

Just give him the TMNT, you will be his hero for a long time. Just kidding of course but I would say no to the zizzle, he's already played on some great pins you have.

#9 4 years ago

Our 5-year-old is bored of our Marvel Zizzle and is only interested in going into the basement to play the real games.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

Our 5-year-old is bored of our Marvel Zizzle and is only interested in going into the basement to play the real games.

Here is solid proof that a Zizzle isn't gonna entertain or help influence the pinball hobby.
    -Mike

#11 4 years ago

Your "Pinball Arcade" tables are a better idea. Get him a bunch of them, and he'll have more fun then the Zizzle.

#12 4 years ago

I was already leaning towards not getting it, not only for fear of it being a piece of junk that breaks, but for him growing bored of it and my sister making me come get it.

If he's still into pinball in a few years maybe I'll find a good players cab and have him over under the guise of "helping me fix it up" and I'll give it to him or something. Thanks for all the replies, it was a big help and a save of time and money.

#13 4 years ago

Get a Mario Bros Mushroom World. A similar sized machine with more going on, a DMD and a theme he may relate to better.

#14 4 years ago

A few Years ago I bought a new in box Zizzle from a kid he got it as a Christmas present when they were new and never opened it. I paid $100 for it basically brand new. At the time I had a nephew that liked to play my games when he came over. Needless to say the Zizzle got very little play and he still liked playing the full size games. So the Zizzle went back up for sale and we haven’t looked back.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Here is solid proof that a Zizzle isn't gonna entertain or help influence the pinball hobby.
    -Mike

For that kid. I bought a zizzle for my wife's classroom 5 years ago. Still a hit every year, all year. Summers it stays in my son's room whom plays it often.

It's good for what it was meant to be. A toy.

#18 4 years ago

Sorry everyone but at 295$ I would say go for it. It's a far more real pinball than a Tomy astro shooter, it has lights, sound, it speaks, there are some calls. He is surely not gonna play it for the next 10 years, but it's a really cool toy.

I would surely have loved having one when I was 10

#19 4 years ago

Malenko - I think most of the posters here are misreading your post, unless of course I’m the one misreading it.

The 7 year old doesn’t live with you, therefore has no access to “real” pinball and that’s where you want to step in and get a zizzle, which will in fact help expose him to pinball.

So I say do it. And if you want to do it I have one I modified that I will give you. Added side posts and a center post because the game was a drain monster. Let me know and I can drop it off to you next week.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

I also thought about going a little more deluxe and getting him a zizzle.

Quoted from Malenko:

but he is just a kid

Utter waste of time and money to get anything less than a full sized pinball machine.
    A zizzle will just make him hate pinball, not love it.

There's "no such thing" as just a kid when it comes to pinball.
    I started playing at 3 - had my own game at 8 in 1980, thanks to smart, loving parents (Lawman / then Seawitch).

Times like this call for a DE Checkpoint - or a Gottlieb Shaq Attaq/Rescue 911...something in that range.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

If its not worth it I'll get him one of those TMNT or marvel table top pins for $50.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Whatever you do, don't get the TMNT table top pin. My son has it and the sound is the most annoying thing ever. if you're going to spend $50, get him a Nintendo Switch game like Luigi's Mansion. That will be money much better spent!

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

Get a Mario Bros Mushroom World. A similar sized machine with more going on, a DMD and a theme he may relate to better.

Too expensive and I'd want to keep it for me

Quoted from ejg10532626:

Times like this call for a DE Checkpoint - or a Gottlieb Shaq Attaq/Rescue 911...something in that range.

I'd want to keep the Checkpoint too! I was only considering the Zizzle because of the low pricepoint . If I had the scratch I would get him a much better option than a zizzle.

Quoted from djreddog:

Malenko - I think most of the posters here are misreading your post, unless of course I’m the one misreading it.
    The 7 year old doesn’t live with you, therefore has no access to “real” pinball and that’s where you want to step in and get a zizzle, which will in fact help expose him to pinball.
    So I say do it. And if you want to do it I have one I modified that I will give you. Added side posts and a center post because the game was a drain monster. Let me know and I can drop it off to you next week.

You are reading it right, he does not live with me but he is about a half an hour away. So while he's always welcome he doesn't have full time access to pinball.
    Shoot me a PM with a price and everything. That would be amazing!

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

Too expensive and I'd want to keep it for me

I'd want to keep the Checkpoint too! I was only considering the Zizzle because of the low pricepoint . If I had the scratch I would get him a much better option than a zizzle.

You are reading it right, he does not live with me but he is about a half an hour away. So while he's always welcome he doesn't have full time access to pinball.
    Shoot me a PM with a price and everything. That would be amazing!

The price is FREE!

#24 4 years ago

I sent you a PM, I appreciate it!

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

The price is FREE!

That’s a really kind gesture djreddog!

#26 4 years ago

djreddog,wow thats what pinside is all about!!!Karma points 2 U!!!!

#27 4 years ago

I was going to say the same thing...well done djreddog, Pinside is a great place

#28 4 years ago

Does it make sense to BUY one to spread the pinball love? No. But it does make sense to inherit a FREE one for the kid to hopefully enjoy!

#29 4 years ago

I was going to say go with something that’s not full size like a Big Top but free is even better. That’s really nice of you djreddog. I’m sure he will love it.

#30 4 years ago

Hopefully pinstadium makes a kit for it.

JK.

1 week later
    #33 4 years ago

just picked it up from djreddog!
    zizzle (resized).jpgzizzle (resized).jpg

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

You sir are awesome! What a kind and stand up thing to do. Young kids will absolutely enjoy it as they are not purists of Pinside where real is the only option. I didn't buy my grandson a real Car either but he loves the toy version.... So nice to see people like you willing to help others spread joy. Bravo!

#35 4 years ago

Shooter lane pic

I hope he enjoys it. If he gets tired of it pay it forward or they make great virtual pinball machine platforms.

#36 4 years ago

I'll probably just add some lighting and probably make some stickers to cover the slingshot plastics. If I can find some toys cheap I'll decorate the playfield. I had planned on spending a couple hundred for the game, now that I got it free, I dont mind dumping a little bit of money into it for him.

RedDog already did the center post, and outlane mod. Nothing over the top like using an arduino. If/when he gets tired of it, I'll make sure it comes back to me and I'll definitely pay it forward.

#37 4 years ago

Great thread. Thanks for spreading some holiday cheer... Save the $$ you were going to spend on the zizzle and get the kiddo an EM when you see one pop up on the cheap!

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

I'll probably just add some lighting and probably make some stickers to cover the slingshot plastics. If I can find some toys cheap I'll decorate the playfield. I had planned on spending a couple hundred for the game, now that I got it free, I dont mind dumping a little bit of money into it for him.
    RedDog already did the center post, and outlane mod. Nothing over the top like using an arduino. If/when he gets tired of it, I'll make sure it comes back to me and I'll definitely pay it forward.

Bought mine for 100 and made some stickers and found some toys. Maybe 30 in stuff. Kids at my wife's school loves it and so does my son when its home.

20191121_195006 (resized).jpg20191121_195006 (resized).jpg
    #39 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

You won't find a beat up EM or SS for $250 or less so think of something else to give the little guy and

I have picked up several games in this price range, including a BK, FP2, Pinbot and a few EMs. Also a FP for just a little more.

#40 4 years ago

In today's market? If so you are one lucky SOB.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

In today's market? If so you are one lucky SOB.

Yes. All within a year and 2 just a couple weeks ago.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Yes. All within a year and 2 just a couple weeks ago.

All in Alaska?

#43 4 years ago

Those in my area are all going to be $1K plus unless you find some non-working beat POS. I'm jealous

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

All in Alaska?

Yes. All needed some kind of work, but well worth it. Only the fp2 had a beat up playfield. All the others needed mechanical work, which I enjoy.

#45 4 years ago

I got my three grandsons a Zizzle for Christmas a couple of years ago and they were delighted.
    When they come down their ready to rock and roll on the real thing.I think it was Zack Meny’s first pinball sale!

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I got my three grandsons a Zizzle for Christmas a couple of years ago and they were delighted.
    When they come down their ready to rock and roll on the real thing.I think it was Zack Meny’s first pinball sale!

Did it have pin stadiums on it? Lol I really hunted for a Zizzle for my grandson as a surprise but glad this came along instead. Boxed and ready for the tree.

#47 4 years ago

Take a lot of the people on here’s advice and buy your nephew a $500 gift.

1 month later
    #48 4 years ago

So post Christmas update, he LOVES IT.

He'll likely grow out of it soon enough, but he's got a little brother to pass it along to as well. All I did to it when I got was just give it a quick cleaning. It was in perfect shape (thanks again djreddog )

pinball1 (resized).jpgpinball1 (resized).jpg

pinball2 (resized).jpgpinball2 (resized).jpg

Apparently he also got that mask for Christmas and wore it the entire day.

#49 4 years ago

cheaply made, parts are almost impossible to find for them.

8 months later
    #50 3 years ago

necro-bump.....

He's starting to play it less and less; but his younger brother is starting to play it. I definitely got my money's worth ($0.00) and Im still grateful to djreddog for the hook up! If his younger brother doesnt get into it, it will make the cross town trek to my other sister's house, for her kids.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-worth-getting-a-zizzle-for-an-7-year-old?hl=rampton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.