Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pin-it
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Get a gut feeling that makes you want to sell all of your solid state pinball machines/arcades to start an EM collection? Not sure what happened but I think I want to convert.

#2 9 years ago

Go for it ! You will be fully hooked on EMs very soon.

#3 9 years ago

Sounds good to me, but keep your Evel Knievel as you will most likely not find or be able to afford the EM version. Now go buy that Skylab you want and put those for sale signs on the rest.

Ken

#4 9 years ago

Mix them up, I've got 1 EM, 2 solid state, 1 alphanumeric, 2 DMD and a PIN2K. Choice is good.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from blue95:

Mix them up, I've got 1 EM, 2 solid state, 1 alphanumeric, 2 DMD and a PIN2K. Choice is good.

Yes, unless you want to go FULL EM, I'd mix it up.

#6 9 years ago

I used to have a few solid states but everytime the kids played downstairs, they would play the EM's...sold!

Welcome the "Happy Side" of pinball!

#7 9 years ago

I have a few EM's mixed in, and they get played more than I thought they would.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

I used to have a few solid states but everytime the kids played downstairs, they would play the EM's...sold!
    Welcome the "Happy Side" of pinball!

The happy side. I like that.

I'm starting to sell off the arcades first. Original dedicated Galaga and Centipede. I'm keeping Evel Knievel for sure. Its in the process of a major playfield restoration right now. I have some guitars I'm hoping to sell here pretty soon as well. Hoping I can pull about 2 grand together for the Chicago pinball expo. Usually some really nice EM's there.

#9 9 years ago

Don't think it's weird at all. I started collecting pins back in 2000 and I got all the popular DMD's....of course they weren't nearly as expensive as they are now. I've since gotten a little burnt out on the DMD machines and I've been going the way of the early 80's pin and EM's. Right now I only have one DMD machine and the rest are 80's and EM's. The fact that I can't afford DMD pins any more doesn't help, but I really like walking up to an EM and playing a quick game. That and the fact I can put my beer on the play field glass helps too! haha!!

#10 9 years ago

I want a mix of 'em too!

#11 9 years ago

Welcome to the world of "reel" pinball! Of course we love the older ones with light-up scoring as well.

#12 9 years ago

I have been trying to reduce my modern machine lineup as my EM lineup increases. I must be prepared when that well preserved woodrail comes my way. I just wish all the big DMD fans weren't spending all their monies on Walkng Dead right now.

#13 9 years ago

Too each their own I guess. But the EM bug has really bitten me hard. I've been watching a lot of videos on youtube. I've got the itch.

#14 9 years ago

Not weird. There are a lot of things going for EMs, especially if you haven't been playing them your whole life. Mainly, they are all brand new games, whcih is more than I can say for most DMDs.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I just wish all the big DMD fans weren't spending all their monies on Walkng Dead right now.

That leaves more Ems for us.

#16 9 years ago

No. That's like waking up one morning and selling your car for a horse and wagon.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

No. That's like waking up one morning and selling your car for a horse and wagon.

C'mon! That's a little extreme. It's more like selling your 2014 Porsche Cayenne and buying a '67 Camaro.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

That's like waking up one morning and selling your car for a horse and wagon.

Till you run out of gas...

#19 9 years ago

Ok, I was just kidding around. Still haven't found any fun with the Em's but my time might come one day. Its like women I never thought I would appreciate bigger girls but as I get older a new found love has emerged. I enjoy that you fella's like your EM's.

#20 9 years ago

It is good
    No need to sell everything to day and buy 11 EMs tomorrow

Take your time and buy nice machines

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from DayDay:

Get a gut feeling that makes you want to sell all of your solid state pinball machines/arcades to start an EM collection? Not sure what happened but I think I want to convert.

Wait until you actually get one!

In my case that only reinforced the idea of having fewer DMDs and more EMs! Now I have two. And another one on the way.

3 DMD's are on their way out.

And as strange as it sounds, I find it very comforting to know that I can sell off all my high priced DMD's to help pay for bills or college tuition for my kids if I have to, and still be able to enjoy the hell out of this hobby on the cheap by going with EMs.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Its like women I never thought I would appreciate bigger girls but as I get older a new found love has emerged.

For me, EMs are like younger girls. Stripped down and to the point. With nothing to hide.

Quoted from Pin-it:

That leaves more Ems for us.

That remark was in regards to them buying my DMDs.

#23 9 years ago

I've been all Em for a long time and it's been great. They are generally cheap, fun to work on and have great art. Simple but challenging objectives make the gameplay addictive.

I have had a few SS games and I do miss them sometimes. High Speed for instance. I see that in your collection DayDay. Nothing wrong with converting to EM but visiting a diverse collection is always fun too.

#24 9 years ago

I have thought about selling a couple DMD games and getting an entire wall of awesome themed EM games.......Figure a pair of newer Sterns can buy a dozen EMs (assuming I am buying non-popular ones). If I wasn't intimidated by repairing EMs, I probably would

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from DayDay:

Get a gut feeling that makes you want to sell all of your solid state pinball machines/arcades to start an EM collection

No.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That remark was in regards to them buying my DMDs.

Now i got it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-weird-to-wake-up-one-day-and and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.