Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DCFAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

We owned a Star Trek Pro and sold it a couple years ago, now on the hunt for a Premium. Talking with my son tonight, and we both agreed the plastic ramps on the pro just feel smoother to hit over and over vs the wireform on the Premium/LE... am I nuts?

#2 6 years ago

Lots of people like metal better but I've always preferred plastic...probably what I grew up with more.
They of course have their set of issues in the lastibility department but just feel I like them more

#3 6 years ago

Yea, they can crack. I don't worry much about my MET Pro ramps getting damaged. Those plastic ramps on ST Pro just felt so good to hit, and they even look better to me than the wireform Premium ramps.

#4 6 years ago

I hear where you are coming from, but metal ramps have their place too - would you want a criss-cross plastic ramp cutting right through the middle of the playfield? Probably not. Otherwise yes, for an HUO game, I don’t have a problem with plastic ramps like you find on games like ST.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

I hear where you are coming from, but metal ramps have their place too - would you want a criss-cross plastic ramp cutting right through the middle of the playfield? Probably not. Otherwise yes, for an HUO game, I don’t have a problem with plastic ramps like you find on games like ST.

Ah yes i agree...and what i meant was plastic ramps over metal ramps...not habitrials/wireforms which are great.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

You are right on that. Games that have ramps that cut across the playfield wouldn't look right in plastic. Also, plastic wouldn't look right on Metallica. But the plastic ones just feel better to shoot, they almost seem a little faster to me.

#7 6 years ago

To me, plastic ramps always feel buttery smooth compared to metal ones. But metal ones always feel snappier and more agile than plastic ones.

White Water with metal ramps would be terrible and clunky, and T2 or The Getaway wouldn't have a crisp, sharp feel with plastic ramps.

That's my perception, anyway.

#8 6 years ago

I posted this in another thread recently that metal ramps have less friction with the ball, and I also believe the surface dirt is less of a factor in slowing down the ball on metal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-weird-i-like-plastic-ramps-better-than-wireform and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.