(Topic ID: 198941)

Is it true that Stern Playfields dimple more than JJP?

By Multiballmaniac1

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170927-125218 (resized).png
    dimple (resized).jpg
    jpst2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from pindude80:

Here's been my experience in the past year- had a GB premium built Sept 2016, playfield dimpled deep and quickly, got an Aerosmith Premium about 2.5 months ago, there are dimples, but nowhere near as bad, deep or as many as my GB, bought a Dialed In 3 months ago, has dimples, but are taking a lot longer to show up, not very noticeable and not as many as GB or AS. From my experience it seems as Stern may have starting using more dense wood lately, but I might have just gotten lucky on AS and got one of the better ones, not sure, but those are my first hand observations on those 3 machines in the past year.

Word is that Stern is using multiple playfield manufacturers. These different companies are clearly using different wood...that's why we're seeing some runs of games looking fantastic, and some that get cratered. For those of us that have seen the difference between "normal" dimples and craters, you know the cratered games aren't going to smooth out. So, the answer to this question is that it's sometimes true. Sometimes Sterns dimple more than JJP...depends which company they sourced the playfield from.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Explain the wear of JJP games compared to Sterns.
    Dialed IN's with wear at the scoop- over with a JJP 'cliffy'
    WOZ with wear - they send out decals to cover it up
    Don't tell me JJP is superior

Not talking about scoop wear. That's inevitable on any game without a Mantis or Cliffy. It's a design flaw if the game doesn't come with protection there. Talking about wood softness and the type of dimpling that happens because of it.

I have 7 Sterns and a Hobbit. I'm happy with all my Stern playfields - they were all made with good wood, and look the same as Hobbit....although I'd say Hobbit has better clearcoat - it's definitely shinier/glassier....but dimple-wise, they're all about the same.

That being said, I've seen some Stern games that have playfields that look like mushy clay...you can "feel" the texture of the lumpy playfield as the ball rolls. Again - not saying this is happening on every game...when I had a STLE, the playfield was nice and smooth...but my friend's STLE looked like complete garbage. I got a good playfield, he didn't. I've seen a TWDLE with a lumpy playfield...but I've also seen a ton of TWD's with perfectly fine playfields.

I'm not commenting to "pick sides". I'm commenting based on facts and experience. Stern is using multiple sources for playfields. Someone's making good ones. Someone's making shit ones.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

JJP will have the same problem as Stern. Stern's node boards will blow out and will not be replaceable and JJP uses a computer that may or may not be replaceable when it goes out. Some of you may be able to replace it but most will not. The game will then be worthless. I'm not trying to be negative but that is the way I see it. These games are made to be obsolete in a matter of time.

One thing that's really cool about pinball (and other gaming hobbies) is that really smart people often make really great aftermarket solutions when problems like these occur. I'm not worried. Someone will make replacement parts if needed.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I dunno. That wood density test post on a lot of recent playfields was pretty persuasive.

I'm not sure why some people are in denial about this.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-true-that-stern-playfields-dimple-more-than-jjp?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.