(Topic ID: 198941)

Is it true that Stern Playfields dimple more than JJP?

By Multiballmaniac1

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170927-125218 (resized).png
    dimple (resized).jpg
    jpst2 (resized).png
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I am sure there already is a thread on this, but to owners of both JJP and sterns, what is your observation. I work in the building materials industry and there are many different grades of plywood out there and the cost varies considerably. Why would stern use a cheaper grade? In the overall cost of the game it wouldn't even be that much money to have the best grade. Just wondering....

#2 6 years ago

I have a Metallica from 2014. It has more plays on it than any other game in my arcade over the past 3 years. Dimples aren't something that I notice, if they're there at all.

#3 6 years ago

No. All playfields dimples.

#4 6 years ago

Stern dimpling threads are the new "Is the market about to collapse?" threads.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern dimpling threads are the new "Is the market about to collapse?" threads.

Seriously! Aren't there at least 2 other current dimpling threads where people are even busting out hardness tests? I was hoping for a 3rd place to discuss the same issue.

#6 6 years ago

I get off on these types of threads......

MY PLAYFIELD IS SO HARD RIGHT NOW!

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I have a Metallica from 2014. It has more plays on it than any other game in my arcade over the past 3 years. Dimples aren't something that I notice, if they're there at all.

My Metallica is a little over a year old now and it is FULL of dimples. It looks like surface of the moon... I don't think it affects game play but def dimpled.

Curious since yours is a bit older if there was a change over the years that the newer play fields are dimpling now...

#8 6 years ago

Will dimples cause the market to collapse and is JJP better than Stern and also did you see that crazy ad on Craigslist and eBay and also are prices too high for all the pinball machines I want to buy?!

#9 6 years ago

You forgot to ask about CODE!

#10 6 years ago

Games that have lots of air balls dimple more than games that don't have a lot of air balls, but in the end they all dimple.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blacksun:

My Metallica is a little over a year old now and it is FULL of dimples. It looks like surface of the moon... I don't think it affects game play but def dimpled.
    Curious since yours is a bit older if there was a change over the years that the newer play fields are dimpling now...

What I said is, I don't notice them. They might be there. I'm too busy playing to be looking at the playfield.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

What I said is, I don't notice them. They might be there. I'm too busy playing to be looking at the playfield.

When I am playing I tend to look a the playfield a lot! Like, almost all the time

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blacksun:

100% Fact...my location has gotten every NIB since Metallica...so I've got to play them all day one and everyday after...MET,IMVE,TWD...these titles 100% did not have dimples like the recent ones do...SW and BM66 just look terrible...I'm not saying they all won't....but somewhere around GB...the wood just had to change...I'm nowhere near as pinball smart as most of you...but my eyes work..............Joey

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

When I am playing I tend to look a the playfield a lot! Like, almost all the time

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

#16 6 years ago

If stern would ever release a goddamn code update then they could fix the dimpling issue... So tired of them raising prices but not improving the quality of the code! Come on now. We have been dealing with the dimpling for sooooo long and there have been many code updates for their games and none have addressed the dimpling... Ridiculous!

Source am software dev so I know this.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

I have seen you play, like watching Tommy!

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

100% Fact...my location has gotten every NIB since Metallica...so I've got to play them all day one and everyday after...MET,IMVE,TWD...these titles 100% did not have dimples like the recent ones do...SW and BM66 just look terrible...I'm not saying they all won't....but somewhere around GB...the wood just had to change...I'm nowhere near as pinball smart as most of you...but my eyes work..............Joey

Thanks for the post. I appreciate the non sarcastic tone not like others on here, all it was is a question. Lol. Levi. Sigh

#19 6 years ago

I might have to make some more "stupid" posts for people to go crazed about. It's
    Like watching the NFL collapse. Fun.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I might have to make some more "stupid" posts for people to go crazed about. It's
    Like watching the NFL collapse. Fun.

The only thing collapsing are the opponents of the newly-reborn Washington Redskins!

Comin' to get ya KC!!!

#21 6 years ago

I have to say .. .
    My Dialed In LE seems to have NO playfield dimples after ~300 plays. And I do get the occasional airball.

#22 6 years ago

Not all wood had the same hardness and I wouldn't put it past Stern to have switched to a lesser wood if it means saving a few bucks. They are all about cost cutting so wouldn't be surprised if they switch to balsa wood in the future.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Not all wood had the same hardness and I wouldn't put it past Stern to have switched to a lesser wood if it means saving a few bucks. They are all about cost cutting so wouldn't be surprised if they switch to balsa wood in the future.

If your referring to recent Sterns versus all JJP games then the answer is YES....several tests have been done to confirm hardness of the Stern play fields are inferior

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Groo:

You forgot to ask about CODE!

Dimples are the new code.

#25 6 years ago

poll: what machine should i buy next?

edit: i should note, i have 9 kids who have never been outside before, a wife that hates anything fun, and a dog that barks aggressively at any images of zombies or elvira. please keep that in mind with your recommendations.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

edit: i should note, i have 9 kids who have never been outside before, a wife that hates anything fun, and a dog that barks aggressively at any images of zombies or elvira. please keep that in mind with your recommendations.

You are ripe for a pinball startup pre-order!

Send money now, but never endure the hassle of actually receiving and setting up the game!

#27 6 years ago

I heard the new Tron VEs wont have the dimpling issue.

#28 6 years ago

Here's been my experience in the past year- had a GB premium built Sept 2016, playfield dimpled deep and quickly, got an Aerosmith Premium about 2.5 months ago, there are dimples, but nowhere near as bad, deep or as many as my GB, bought a Dialed In 3 months ago, has dimples, but are taking a lot longer to show up, not very noticeable and not as many as GB or AS. From my experience it seems as Stern may have starting using more dense wood lately, but I might have just gotten lucky on AS and got one of the better ones, not sure, but those are my first hand observations on those 3 machines in the past year.

#29 6 years ago

Turn on any clearcoated game and take off the translite/backglass and you will be able to see the dimples if the backglass light is on.
    Playfield wood is soft compared to the hardness of the ball.

If a game has been played a bunch the dimples will start to look like the texture of an orange peel.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Dimples are the new code.

but a fix is on the way

jpst2 (resized).pngjpst2 (resized).png

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

Hold on for a shocker:

My advice is play every game, and then buy what YOU like. I capitalized YOU for no apparent reason but it should make sense.

#32 6 years ago

My WOZ dimpled but not as bad... and then the ink started chipping off.

#33 6 years ago

I have a Twilight Zone. Classic Bally, not Stern, right? Anyway, I improved the lighting significantly and dimples appeared from out of nowhere.

My question is : Has anyone measured the impact more photons have on a playfield? I suppose additional lighting pounded the clearcoat and caused the problem since it is well known all WMS clearcoats were flawless back in the 1990s. I know we are told that photons do not have mass, but that's all PhD nonsense and more than likely a conspiracy since something obviously caused more dimples on my playfield when I swapped in LEDs and improved the lighting of the playfield significantly.

Maybe Stern is using those cheap LEDs that emit heavier-mass photons thus causing more pronounced dimpling ... especially on lighter color / less detailed regions of a playfield. Incandescent bulbs emit zero-mass photons, but they cause forest fires and only I can prevent forest fires.

Thank you.

#34 6 years ago

Any machine from any of the manufacturers will have some type of flaws.
    My advice is to figure out what you can live with and just purchase accordingly.

#35 6 years ago

Ghostbusters was the fastest and deepest dimpling game I've ever had, but it also generated more airballs than anything I've ever owned until I got the airball protector. It's tough to compare that against other Sterns or the two JJP's I have, because the ball action is so vastly different. I'll pull the glass on Dialed In, which has had A LOT of play since I got it and see how it's holding up compared to how my Spider-Man, Iron Man, or AC/DC wore over a similar time period.

#36 6 years ago

Damn.

This is the closest I could find for Dimples and Pinball...

dimple (resized).jpgdimple (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I capitalized YOU for no apparent reason

Haaaaaaaaa!

#38 6 years ago

I swear, if some newb ever comes over to buy one of my pins and starts nit-picking the dimples I'm going to dimple his head.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I swear, if some newb ever comes over to buy one of my pins and starts nit-picking the dimples I'm going to dimple his head.

The steps to figure out what to deduct for dimples are as follows:

1)Count the number of dimples in one square inch
    2)divide the square footage of the playfield by 12, multiply that answer by step one.
    3)multiply the answer from step 2 by $0.05
    4)deduct answer in step 3 from sale price
    5)run as fast as you can cause seller is red faced pissed!
    6)create new Pinside account so you can do business again.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

"Can you get a pic of the shooter lane?"

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

"Can you get a pic of the shooter lane?"

Cause wanting to see a picture of the area that typically gets the most wear is so out of line.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from pindude80:

Here's been my experience in the past year- had a GB premium built Sept 2016, playfield dimpled deep and quickly, got an Aerosmith Premium about 2.5 months ago, there are dimples, but nowhere near as bad, deep or as many as my GB, bought a Dialed In 3 months ago, has dimples, but are taking a lot longer to show up, not very noticeable and not as many as GB or AS. From my experience it seems as Stern may have starting using more dense wood lately, but I might have just gotten lucky on AS and got one of the better ones, not sure, but those are my first hand observations on those 3 machines in the past year.

Word is that Stern is using multiple playfield manufacturers. These different companies are clearly using different wood...that's why we're seeing some runs of games looking fantastic, and some that get cratered. For those of us that have seen the difference between "normal" dimples and craters, you know the cratered games aren't going to smooth out. So, the answer to this question is that it's sometimes true. Sometimes Sterns dimple more than JJP...depends which company they sourced the playfield from.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Cause wanting to see a picture of the area that typically gets the most wear is so out of line.

It gets pretty ridiculous. You have these flawless games aside from a tiny dimple in the shooter lane and it's a hard pass for the buyer. I mean, c'mon.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It gets pretty ridiculous. You have these flawless games aside from a tiny dimple in the shooter lane and it's a hard pass for the buyer. I mean, c'mon.

Yep. For some people, these things aren't games. They're furniture.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Yep. For some people, these things aren't games. They're furniture.

I guess. It always surprises me how many games, like an original run Spider-Man, still show up for sale with "less than 300 plays." I mean...what?!

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Word is that Stern is using multiple playfield manufacturers. These different companies are clearly using different wood...that's why we're seeing some runs of games looking fantastic, and some that get cratered. For those of us that have seen the difference between "normal" dimples and craters, you know the cratered games aren't going to smooth out. So, the answer to this question is that it's sometimes true. Sometimes Sterns dimple more than JJP...depends which company they sourced the playfield from.

Explain the wear of JJP games compared to Sterns.
    Dialed IN's with wear at the scoop- over with a JJP 'cliffy'
    WOZ with wear - they send out decals to cover it up

Don't tell me JJP is superior

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Have you owned one? I have all of them and they clearly are from a manufacturing/quality perspective...so are CGC games

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Different problems, but Dialed In dimples WAY less than any recent stern. We have one on location side by side with a Ghostbusters Premium and a Batman SLE and they are a mess of dimples while Dialed In has very few.

It's a pretty recent Stern problem. The hardness tests pretty much lines up with the recent playfields that dimple a lot.

#49 6 years ago

none of my JJP or CGC games have many dimples...especially compared to Stern. Now that being said my LOTR LE had none....

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Not talking about scoop wear. That's inevitable on any game without a Mantis or Cliffy. It's a design flaw if the game doesn't come with protection there. Talking about wood softness and the type of dimpling that happens because of it.

I have 7 Sterns and a Hobbit. I'm happy with all my Stern playfields - they were all made with good wood, and look the same as Hobbit....although I'd say Hobbit has better clearcoat - it's definitely shinier/glassier....but dimple-wise, they're all about the same.

That being said, I've seen some Stern games that have playfields that look like mushy clay...you can "feel" the texture of the lumpy playfield as the ball rolls. Again - not saying this is happening on every game...when I had a STLE, the playfield was nice and smooth...but my friend's STLE looked like complete garbage. I got a good playfield, he didn't. I've seen a TWDLE with a lumpy playfield...but I've also seen a ton of TWD's with perfectly fine playfields.

I'm not commenting to "pick sides". I'm commenting based on facts and experience. Stern is using multiple sources for playfields. Someone's making good ones. Someone's making shit ones.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-true-that-stern-playfields-dimple-more-than-jjp?hl=koos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.