(Topic ID: 198941)

Is it true that Stern Playfields dimple more than JJP?

By Multiballmaniac1

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170927-125218 (resized).png
    dimple (resized).jpg
    jpst2 (resized).png
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

JJP will have the same problem as Stern. Stern's node boards will blow out and will not be replaceable and JJP uses a computer that may or may not be replaceable when it goes out. Some of you may be able to replace it but most will not. The game will then be worthless. I'm not trying to be negative but that is the way I see it. These games are made to be obsolete in a matter of time.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

JJP will have the same problem as Stern. Stern's node boards will blow out and will not be replaceable and JJP uses a computer that may or may not be replaceable when it goes out. Some of you may be able to replace it but most will not. The game will then be worthless. I'm not trying to be negative but that is the way I see it. These games are made to be obsolete in a matter of time.

One thing that's really cool about pinball (and other gaming hobbies) is that really smart people often make really great aftermarket solutions when problems like these occur. I'm not worried. Someone will make replacement parts if needed.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I don't know man seems like most folks haven't had much trouble keeping their Pin2Ks running and that shit is mad obsolete!

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

One thing that's really cool about pinball (and other gaming hobbies) is that really smart people often make really great aftermarket solutions when problems like these occur. I'm not worried. Someone will make replacement parts if needed.

Hopefully, for all of you who have these games they will. I would love to own an Aerosmith one day and the thought of it having parts that can't be replaced would prevent me from getting one.

#55 6 years ago

The metal ball defeats wood 100% of the time. Playfield colors and lighting impact how visible the dimples are without a really detailed review. I’m sure there’s a variance, but numerous previous threads have yet to completely resolve this great mystery.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from taz:

The metal ball defeats wood 100% of the time. Playfield colors and lighting impact how visible the dimples are without a really detailed review. I’m sure there’s a variance, but numerous previous threads have yet to completely resolve this great mystery.

I dunno. That wood density test post on a lot of recent playfields was pretty persuasive.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Hopefully, for all of you who have these games they will. I would love to own an Aerosmith one day and the thought of it having parts that can't be replaced would prevent me from getting one.

That's pretty silly bro. You really think your aerosmith is going to become a paperweight?

Man, that stupid youtube link really did a number on people.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I dunno. That wood density test post on a lot of recent playfields was pretty persuasive.

I'm not sure why some people are in denial about this.

#59 6 years ago

My new games (TWD, ST and GB) all have a lot of dimpling. The LOTR from 2003 I just brought home doesn't have even one. The playfield is as smooth as the day it was made.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not sure why some people are in denial about this.

Maybe they don't have enough recent machines to personally compare. It's 100% obvious to me on these newer Sterns, and the wood density test lines up with the "problem" machines. Anyone who does have enough newer machines should know this is a problem. They've also cheaped out on the cabinet wood. Aerosmith Prem had a great playfield, but the cabinet wood was CLEARLY softer than a KISS Premium's cabinet. You could FEEL it when installing the Williams/bally leg braces.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

JJP will have the same problem as Stern. Stern's node boards will blow out and will not be replaceable and JJP uses a computer that may or may not be replaceable when it goes out

As long as there are x86 processors out there.. and linux... it will be replaceable. The same can't be said about custom PCBs or specific integrated platforms.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

pretty short sided thinking....the likelihood of your theoretical scenario is slim to none...somebody will always figure out a way to keep the games alive....

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

pretty short sided thinking....the likelihood of your theoretical scenario is slim to none...somebody will always figure out a way to keep the games alive....

Yeah, I'm not really worried. With all the esoteric hardware that's been kept alive, and especially the Pin2K design disaster that was worked around I'm sure this current hardware will be kept alive in the future, too.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's pretty silly bro. You really think your aerosmith is going to become a paperweight?
    Man, that stupid youtube link really did a number on people.

That remains to be seen. Right now I can't afford one so it doesn't matter but down the road 2-3 years from now if I buy one and the board goes out and Stern doesn't have them at any price what then. They are not so good at keeping parts in stock for older games. Replacement parts being available are a factor in the games I buy to keep.

#65 6 years ago

JJP game motherboards and drives will be available, and cheap down the road.

#66 6 years ago

Dimples are a mark of beauty. Embrace the dimple.

Screenshot_20170927-125218 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170927-125218 (resized).png

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Word is that Stern is using multiple playfield manufacturers. These different companies are clearly using different wood...that's why we're seeing some runs of games looking fantastic, and some that get cratered. For those of us that have seen the difference between "normal" dimples and craters, you know the cratered games aren't going to smooth out. So, the answer to this question is that it's sometimes true. Sometimes Sterns dimple more than JJP...depends which company they sourced the playfield from.

I kind of assumed the same thing on Stern using several manufacturers. My AS looks worlds better than my GB did, but you still notice the dimples more than Dialed In. Dialed In definitely has dimples, they all will dimple to some degree, but the dimples aren't as noticeable, you kind of have to look for them where as they are easier to notice on AS and on GB you could see them from across the room!

#68 6 years ago

I have played the hell out of my hobbit over the last year - and the dimples aren't that bad at all - and I have no PF issues or wear that I can see. And Rarehero is right about the clear coat shine - it is like glass still.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Stern's node boards will blow out and will not be replaceable and JJP uses a computer that may or may not be replaceable when it goes out. Some of you may be able to replace it but most will not. The game will then be worthless. I'm not trying to be negative but that is the way I see it. These games are made to be obsolete in a matter of time.

Actually no, JJP uses what is essentially an off the shelf motherboard with an off the shelf hard drive, and they write their own software. Motherboards and hard drives change and evolve over time, and can be updated in a JJP pin along with code..... for many, many years.

You're right though, a proprietary single use board used by... well, another company. Eh, not so much.

#70 6 years ago

My AFMr is showing some dimples on the playfield. It doesn't bother me. I don't expect it to stay perfect forever because, you know, I play it.

#71 6 years ago

Anyone think mylar over the larger playfield inserts is a good idea? On MMR there's factory installed mylar over the Shield insert only but the "Hurryup" insert by the castle gate is large as well. If so, where do you get your mylar?

4 weeks later
    #72 6 years ago

Something to think about.
    My friend has woz and hobbit bought brand new and straight from the container has many dimples .
    I have woz and hobbit bought app 1 year after games released so in storage for a while in its box and with double the plays of my friend I have only a few dimples in mine which are nearly impossible to see . Maybe the wood needs time to harden and release all moisture . So when I buy my next nib I will store it for a while before playing if it's just been produced

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Explain the wear of JJP games compared to Sterns.
    Dialed IN's with wear at the scoop- over with a JJP 'cliffy'
    WOZ with wear - they send out decals to cover it up
    Don't tell me JJP is superior

JJP is superior.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from Georgeh:

Something to think about.
    """"So when I buy my next nib I will store it for a while before playing if it's just been produced""""

Yeah, good luck with that! lol That would be torture to have a NIB game finally arrive only to set it in the corner of your garage for 1 year to Cure... Dimples are Pinball! Play it and don't look back.

#75 6 years ago

Talking with the clear masters lately, there does seem to be several opportunities to let the clear harden over time which can be negated by spraying additional layers too quickly. Maybe it's not so much the wood but the clear that hasn't hardened. I've got a PF that took 4 months to clear, letting each layer harden completely before sanding and laying the next layer. Have not installed it yet! Will let you know how it goes...

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-true-that-stern-playfields-dimple-more-than-jjp/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.