(Topic ID: 98855)

Is it time for separate "Top 100" lists for DMD and SS?

By swampfire

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should there be separate top 100 lists for DMD and pre-DMD Solid State pins?”

• Yes 192 votes
      76%
    • No 31 votes
      12%
    • Don't care 28 votes
      11%

(251 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

257384-i.png
    Early_Pinball.jpg
    There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 9 years ago

I was just thinking about this the other night. It doesn't seem fair to compare what essentially are EM games with a digital score to current DMD games with all the rules and craziness.

#52 9 years ago

I like to think that I have 3 different hobbies: EM pinball, SS pinball and DMD pinball. My enthusiasm for each of these waxes and wanes. Right now I'm spending most of my time playing the EMs, but in 6 months it could be SS. Then when Stern releases its next blockbuster, I'll be back on DMDs. Pinball is a great hobby if you have ADD.

#53 9 years ago

I say to seperate it. I know when I rate a game I rate it by category. So when I am rating a Em game I might give it a 9 based on other Em games. there is no way EM and SS games have the same music and code as the new Stern DMD games. For example I rated surf champ Em game in the 9's based on it compared to other EMs. Comparing it with lets say Metallica is impossible. For the era of the game such as HIGH Speed vs lets say AC/DC..Just my thoughts but I am a pin guy and love all of them and have em,ss, and DMD in my collection. Gota love pinball!!!

#54 9 years ago

If they are split should it be top 50?

#55 9 years ago

i agree with the OP, they should have their own top 100.

#56 9 years ago

I think of "Classic Solid State" as a category that includes SS games from 1977-1984. System 11 games are more like the 90's DMD games then they are like these early ss games. Think of classics tournaments. Most just feature early ss games and ems.

#57 9 years ago

The poll is currently running 6-to-1 in favor of a change. And I'm usually the Pinside contrarian.

#58 9 years ago

Split DMD/SS, and I'd split LCD(post-DMD) from DMD, even though there are very few titles at the moment. But let the chart start to form.

#59 9 years ago

I'd say splitting them is a good idea. Even though the list is kind of silly.

#60 9 years ago

I agree that listing games in order of rating is silly, but I like seeing them all in one place. Here's the IPDB query I use when I want to see what SS pins I'm missing out on:

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=SS&yr=1976-1990&prd=300-30000&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

(This actually reminds me that I need I donate to IPDB again)

#61 9 years ago

The list should be used as a very loose guide anyway so doesn't really matter.

#62 9 years ago

Really when it comes to ranking these I still have issues with both pinside and ipdb. Yes ranks are 'grain of salt' types of things anyway, and I think Robin has a decent system here.

Personally I find the idea of ranking games with filters a much more interesting idea but it might requrie a much more complicated system. Frankly I'd find it interesting to be able to customize a Top 100 based completely on filters.

For example, I'd like to be able to see the ranked top # of pins of any era - EM, SS, DMD (which I find funny because DMD are SS), LCD, CRT, OCD, ADD, whatever. For most people EMs and DMD era pins won't compete in the area of audio - chimes versus speech and background music/call-outs/etc. However, what if I just wanted to build a ranking based on peoples take on playfield layout - no art, no sounds, just straight play on the field? What if I wanted to see a ranking of games using playfield layout, 'fun', and playfield art, no backglass art or audio? It would mean a totally dynamic rank generator would have to be written for the site and perhaps an array of rankings could be listed including all eras based on specific components of the rating system. This is something I would find interesting.

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Frankly I'd find it interesting to be able to customize a Top 100 based completely on filters.

I completely agree. This would be amazing

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from prock:

Why even have separate lists? Why not just filters?

Yep.

I think it would be ideal to show all SS games at once, and then have the option to break them into sub categories.

-mof

#65 9 years ago

Question.

Why are there only 300 solid state titles rated, if there were 1200+ solid state games made?

Where are the other 900+ games, and why are more of them not rated?

-mof

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Question.
    Why are there only 300 solid state titles rated, if there were 1200+ solid state games made?
    -mof

because they really sucked?

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Frankly I'd find it interesting to be able to customize a Top 100 based completely on filters.
    For example, I'd like to be able to see the ranked top # of pins of any era - EM, SS, DMD (which I find funny because DMD are SS), LCD, CRT, OCD, ADD, whatever. For most people EMs and DMD era pins won't compete in the area of audio - chimes versus speech and background music/call-outs/etc. However, what if I just wanted to build a ranking based on peoples take on playfield layout - no art, no sounds, just straight play on the field? What if I wanted to see a ranking of games using playfield layout, 'fun', and playfield art, no backglass art or audio? It would mean a totally dynamic rank generator would have to be written for the site and perhaps an array of rankings could be listed including all eras based on specific components of the rating system. This is something I would find interesting.

Exactly! Great examples! Pinside already has all that data it would be great to put it to work!

#68 9 years ago

I say lump them together and let the chips fall where they stand.

Why should one be judged any different from another?

Early_Pinball.jpgEarly_Pinball.jpg 257384-i.png257384-i.png
    #69 9 years ago

Been saying this for years. It's one of the major reasons why I have not looked at the so called "top lists" on this site in 3 years.

#70 9 years ago

Splitting them might make it more informative but I still don't place a lot of importance on Pinside polls (or any others for that matter) except for newer games. Since I was alive and playing pinball when all the early SS pins were new and a lot of the DMDs, I pretty-much already know which ones I prefer. I tend to place more value in reviews of newer pins that I haven't seen yet.

#71 9 years ago

Agreed, they could be listed alphabetically without ratings, and I'd be fine with that.

#72 9 years ago

Filters are the way to go. That way everyone can view the lists how they want and everyone is happy. That, or we have much more specific arguments about what should be #1 with XYZ filters..

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Question.
    -mof

Good question. I was wondering the same thing...
    -mof

#74 9 years ago

If you want to do advanced DB queries, go to IPDB - that's what it's for. But if you just want to see a bunch of great pins listed together at the click of a mouse, use Pinside. Robin, what do you think? What's your vision for how the Pinside Archive and IPDB complement each other?

#75 9 years ago

Drained topic #1

#76 9 years ago

Just my opinion, the IPDB isn't rated as much in the recent times. Some of the machines I have been interested in the ratings were old like no one is rating on it like they do on Pinside... just a thought

#77 9 years ago

Don't know about others, but I don't look at ratings to decide which game *I* like or want. I watch a video, load it on VPin, play it the real thing in person if possible. It's not like Yelp where you can make informed decisions about quality/service when you want to eat out for a one time event. It's personal. There are games I have loved others hate, and definitely vise-versa.

Ratings are interesting but not useful -- i.e. trying to compare Elvis, Led Zepplin, Duran Duran, Spice Girls, and Snoop dog just because all of them were ranked #1 at one time for their era; when I only have interest in a couple of them myself and the others could be ranked at #100 for all I care.

Rankings only lead to pInflation and unrealistic expectations (on both sides). Trying to split it out is a waste of someone's time which could be better spent playing or fixing

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pac-Fan:

Don't know about others, but I don't look at ratings to decide which game *I* like or want.

Agreed, I listen to and watch the videos and examine the playfield layouts to decide what *I* like.

I use the Top-300 to determine the likelihood of whether OTHER people will like the pin when I'm ready to move on it. I study the ranking AND the number of reviews on it. If I'm faced with buying a pin rated 75 or a pin rated 225, and I'm on the fence, the pin rated 75 may sway me, because I'll think it will be an easier sell.

For me, it's one of many factors when making a buying decision, the "Resell-ability" of the object.

-mof

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from john32:

Just my opinion, the IPDB isn't rated as much in the recent times. Some of the machines I have been interested in the ratings were old like no one is rating on it like they do on Pinside... just a thought

For the pins I'm interested in (EM and early SS) IPDB tends to have more rating comments. For example, "Abra Ca Dabra" has 12 comments on Pinside, but there are 35 on IPDB. I imagine some guys who really know their EMs don't use Pinside, or they posted their reviews before Pinside existed.

Quoted from mof:

If I'm faced with buying a pin rated 75 or a pin rated 225, and I'm on the fence, the pin rated 75 may sway me, because I'll think it will be an easier sell. For me, it's one of many factors when making a buying decision, the "Resell-ability" of the object.

Exactly. If enough people dislike a pin, I like to know what it's weaknesses are. A low rating just tells me "go look at the comments before you buy this pin".

Quoted from davewtf:

Drained topic #1

This is like leaving a party and yelling "I'M LEAVING NOW!" Classy.

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

If you want to do advanced DB queries, go to IPDB - that's what it's for. But if you just want to see a bunch of great pins listed together at the click of a mouse, use Pinside. Robin, what do you think? What's your vision for how the Pinside Archive and IPDB complement each other?

Thanks for posting your idea! Sorry for my slow reaction.

To be honest, I don't really know the IPDB ratings system as I've never used it.

I think splitting up the Pinside top 100 has some advantages but also some downsides. Making such a big change will be tough to sell at this point.

Adding a "roll your own top 100" screen (I.e. Filters) seems like the way to go for this.

Quoted from chubtoad13:

Filters are the way to go. That way everyone can view the lists how they want and everyone is happy. That, or we have much more specific arguments about what should be #1 with XYZ filters..

I agree but there's one big disadvantage: a top 100 based on filters is not a definitive list. I want to be able to say: this is THE Pinside Top 100.

Filters could make a nice add-on. I'll look into adding this.

Did you know I already have some custom lists which I made a few years ago:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/various

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Filters could make a nice add-on. I'll look into adding this.

Sweet!
    -mof

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Did you know I already have some custom lists which I made a few years ago:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/various

Those are very cool. I had no idea they existed

#83 9 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

Those are very cool. I had no idea they existed

Me either. Where has that been hiding?

#84 9 years ago

I have been married for 13 years, but I have to quote what I have heard is the most stated line said on dates today "Is this happening or what?".
    A good idea and it makes sense, so let's do it! Who is really against it? Who says - I want to do an apples to apples comparison rating of a $1000 Sorcerer built in 1985 versus a $10,000 Tron LE built last week?!???!!!
    For those who say "I don't care about ratings or anything when I buy a pin". Fine. Then why do you stand up and suddenly have an opinion on how other people categorize their opinions?
    Let's do this! Great Idea by a long time respected collector who loves pinball and collects a wide range of pins! We should listen to people like this. When is it going to happen?

#85 9 years ago

What there is a top 100 list .......? Ive never heard of this ......

#86 9 years ago

I would like both. An all inclusive list of all things pinball judged against one another. Also I think it is long overdue to seperate SS like EM has been. EM, SS and DMD are very different beasts and could use their own scoring system by genre.

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

EM, SS and DMD are very different beasts and could use their own scoring system by genre.

I have also realized this, shortly after adding EM games. you can't really judge the animations in a game that has no display And there are more "faults" with the rating system, which was obviously designed solely for recent SS games.

... Lately I've been playing with the idea to ditch the current rating system altogether and replace it with another system that is not prone to troll votes (people scoring games with perfect 10's or with "this game is trash" 1's).

In this new system people would simply be asked to compile a list of games they have played (defaults to all games in their collection) and drag them in the order of their preference. Best game at the top, worst game at the bottom. Couldn't be simpler.

Scores would be given to the best x games in each persons list, or something to that extent. Still have to work out the exact scoring.

We could easily migrate to such a new system because it would keep people's top x list (their ratings) as a basis.

While doing this, I could also tackle the whole PRO/LE/VE and Remake "problem" in the current rating system.

Food for thought...

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I have also realized this, shortly after adding EM games. you can't really judge the animations in a game that has no display And there are more "faults" with the rating system, which was obviously designed solely for recent SS games.
    ... Lately I've been playing with the idea to ditch the current rating system altogether and replace it with another system that is not prone to troll votes (people scoring games with perfect 10's or with "this game is trash" 1's).
    In this new system people would simply be asked to compile a list of games they have played (defaults to all games in their collection) and drag them in the order of their preference. Best game at the top, worst game at the bottom. Couldn't be simpler.
    Scores would be given to the best x games in each persons list, or something to that extent. Still have to work out the exact scoring.
    We could easily migrate to such a new system because it would keep people's top x list (their ratings) as a basis.
    While doing this, I could also tackle the whole PRO/LE/VE and Remake "problem" in the current rating system.
    Food for thought...

Very nice. I support this "new thinking". However, if someone's ratings are private, will they be included in this newly proposed ranking system?

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Very nice. I support this "new thinking". However, if someone's ratings are private, will they be included in this newly proposed ranking system?

Private ratings never count. They don't count now and they never will. After all, they're private!

#90 9 years ago

Sounds great to me. It really could use the overhaul.

#91 9 years ago

If this was changed from "top 20" to "top 100", I'd be really happy:

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/various/decade

#92 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

If this was changed from "top 20" to "top 100", I'd be really happy:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/various/decade

Disagree (if we mean making a final solution)...

The "decades" don't cut it for me... (as good brackets)

It's def a SS vs DMD thing around 1991 or an EM vs SS thing around 1976, etc...

Things don't line up on the 70 80 and 90 dates too well, that's just a coincidence/illusion that it (kinda) matches the technological advances.

-mof

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Food for thought...

This sounds like a great idea. Please implement this!!

I also agree with the concept of making one big list, include all games regardless of era or decade or technology, then use filters to toggle what view you want to use. You could exclude EMs, or show only EMs. You could sort by decade, manufacturer, display type, whatever you want. It seems like this would be much more flexible, and avoid arbitrary categories.

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Food for thought...

I don't see how this would work.

If Joe has 5 games he found on the side of the road, there is still a best in his collection. But a best in his collection has no way to be compared to a best in another collection.

Example: Jane had one pin. It's popeye. She ranks it number one because it's the only one she has.

How would this work?

#95 9 years ago

Me personally, i say don't separate.

I think it's idiotic that people want their dmd pin on the top 100 list by kicking off better rated SS pins. Honestly, i think it's an attempt to inflate value of pins that get less press or aren't as desirable. Kinda embarrassing if you ask me.
    I guess it's fine if you want to win that way, but IMO, the best are the best regardless of pin era.

It's called the top 100 for a reason.
    By separating the list, you are essentially letting pins that don't deserve to be in the top 100 onto the list.
    If they deserved to be there, they would be.

There are a handful of system 11's better than some of the dmd's, why punish a good pin just because the display is different?

The filtering idea is decent, but the master list before filtering should accommodate all pins.

#96 9 years ago
    Quoted from jcar302:

Honestly, i think it's an attempt to inflate value of pins that get less press or aren't as desirable.

Why do you speak so disparagingly about Stern's modern releases that can't top 20+ year old machines?

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

I don see how this would work.
    If Joe has 5 games he found on the side of the road, there is still a best in his collection. But a best in his collection has no way to be compared to a best in another collection.
    Example: Jane had one pin. It's Popeye. She ranks it number one because it's the only one she has.
    How would this work?

It would be "the law of averages". That's only one vote for Popeye.....and that's only if "Jane" actually votes; and that's if "Jane" only votes for that one pin in her collection. You can vote for other pins you've played but don't currently own. "In this new system people would simply be asked to compile a list of games they have played ".

#98 9 years ago

I say keep the list as is but offer two additional tabs, one for SS and one for DMD

#99 9 years ago

Interesting side note to the "Pinside.com - Top 20's by manufacturer list" (as of week 32, 2014)

Bally has 10 machines ranked 8.0 or better.
    Williams has 9
    Gottlieb, Sega and Data East.......0
    Stern - 12

Two ways to look at that:
    1. Newer is better
    2. Williams/Bally combined still kicks everyone's ass.

#100 9 years ago

I agree I think with all the new DMD type (I would consider LCD display DMD type) pins coming along the solid state should get their own ranking as there are some very good solid state ones that don't make the grade simply because of when they where made.

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-time-for-separate-top-100-lists-for-dmd-and-pre-dmd-ss/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.