(Topic ID: 196887)

Is it time for another large-format pinball machine?

By westofrome

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jwilson
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

If you are lucky enough to find a pinball machine in an FEC, beach arcade, or Chuck E Cheese, one thing really sticks out - it's most likely the smallest machine in the place. Manufacturers are competing with mobile/home games by bringing giant physical experiences. You've probably seen giant Space Invaders, giant Pac Man, giant crane, etc. The pin, if you're fortunate enough to find one, looks positively tiny in this environment.

Would an innovative large-scale concept help pins stick out more in this market? Not necessarily Hercules 2, although that's a possibility, but also something like a multiplayer circular game like Killer Queen. And of course, tickets

#2 6 years ago

I'm not an operator, so I can only speak to what I observe as someone who frequents arcades. I've noticed that people like to spectate arcade games just as much as play them, and those massive Pac Man LED walls draw in a large amount of spectators who may eventually go to play the game once they watch it once or twice. Would a giant pinball machine do this? I'm not actually sure... How well does Hercules earn for the few places it's still out on location?

I do like the idea of a large multiplayer game--like a head to head game, but with more players. Think: Hungry Hungry Hippos, but a pinball machine. But the drawback to that is in order for it to be fun, it'd *require* multiple players.

#3 6 years ago

Nope. If normal sized pinballs don't earn well, have a lot of upkeep needs, and are expensive to purchase, why would an op go in on a more expensive, larger machine?

#4 6 years ago

The reason why you don't see pinball at a lot of arcades and places like Dave & Busters is because they operate on a formula that determines profit per square foot. Pinball machines don't bring in enough profit and they break down far more than other video based arcade games. So for a place like Dave & Busters, it makes more sense to put one giant pac man or space invaders instead of 2-3 pinball machines.

I think the only way we'll see a large-scale pinball concept to take off would be if it is virtual or video based.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Nope. If normal sized pinballs don't earn well, have a lot of upkeep needs, and are expensive to purchase, why would an op go in on a more expensive, larger machine?

I suppose for the same reason ops aren't putting out traditionally-sized Space Invaders?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I think the only way we'll see a large-scale pinball concept to take off would be if it is virtual or video based.

Good point!! I think virtual pinball at D&B would get traction. Get on that Raw Thrills!!

Only 8000 more tickets and that Hello Kitty Backpack is mine.

#7 6 years ago

If you make some huge gimmicky ticket-crapping pin, it's not pinball because it's not the same experience and pinball players will rightly reject it. I think pinball is doing fine as-is, but the way to improve pinball is to innovate the game without turning it into yet another redemption-style dopamine treadmill. Why would pinball players want that?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

If you make some huge gimmicky ticket-crapping pin, it's not pinball because it's not the same experience and pinball players will rightly reject it. I think pinball is doing fine as-is, but the way to improve pinball is to innovate the game without turning it into yet another redemption-style dopamine treadmill. Why would pinball players want that?

Fair points, but surely there's some middle ground where the physical footprint and immersive experience can be increased and tickets dispensed, but still basically retain the essential elements of traditional pinball? Just seems wild that the dimensions of the game remain so fixed. Different sizes and shapes of cabs will only increase the number of new and unique shots and toys that are possible, at a time when playfield designs are becoming increasingly repetitive.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

The reason why you don't see pinball at a lot of arcades and places like Dave & Busters is because they operate on a formula that determines profit per square foot. Pinball machines don't bring in enough profit and they break down far more than other video based arcade games. So for a place like Dave & Busters, it makes more sense to put one giant pac man or space invaders instead of 2-3 pinball machines.

Dave & Busters should give ear plugs to everyone going in. That place is ridiculously noisy. Could not get out of there fast enough, never will go back. My 3.5 year old son was yelling the whole time and I could not hear him, he was yelling that he wanted to get out of there. Did I say ridiculously noisy?

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Dave & Busters should give ear plugs to everyone going in. That place is ridiculously noisy. Could not get out of there fast enough, never will go back. My 3.5 year old son was yelling the whole time and I could not hear him, he was yelling that he wanted to get out of there. Did I say ridiculously noisy?

WHAT?

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I totally get that justification, but there's something to be said about diversifying. I have a Dave and Busters relatively local. Always hated the ads on tv back when I was a teen since there wasn't one around at the time (same with Sonic back then... why tease me?!?!?).

But now that I'm in my 30s and playing a shit ton more pinball than seizure-inducing vids, I still haven't been to that new, local (once dream of mine) D&B due to the fact there are no pins and the northeast has at least a few good pin places.

Cool, they got a billion redemption games, and they each bring in the biggest bang per square foot. That's great, but doesn't help long term growth. They alienate those who don't want to play quick redemption. It's like an amusement park that only has ferris wheels, or only has roller coasters. Sure, each may fit their niche well, and there may be a market that loves their use of space, and maybe each similar ride may do well for the area it accumulates. But it also turned their back on another market that won't go there as a result.

Pinball may be more costly per sqft. But it can draw in additional markets otherwise left untapped, which is more feet through the door, more money in the token machine, and more money going to food.

I find it wildly hard to believe D&B can't take a back corner next to an emergency exit and put in a TWD, GOT, and SW.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

I find it wildly hard to believe D&B can't take a back corner next to an emergency exit and put in a TWD, GOT, and SW.

Gotta imagine with the new pinball trend they are missing out on a whole new customer base that would go there to play the latest games.

And no. A Hercules 2 type of game would be completely ignored by kids today. Almost all of them go to arcades because they are just looking to gamble for tickets. Unless the tech is mindblowing they want their games to last no more than 5 seconds.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Fair points, but surely there's some middle ground where the physical footprint and immersive experience can be increased and tickets dispensed, but still basically retain the essential elements of traditional pinball?

Canoon Lagoon on the P3 is what you're looking for.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-time-for-another-large-format-pinball-machine?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.