Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot from 2022-06-26 13-57-39 (resized).png
    maxresdefault.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Tony Hawk Pinball (resized).jpg
    41938D37-94AA-4906-A403-5D69060291F8 (resized).jpeg
    96f509a879a8bc48b0eac6ad60ada6f4 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220407-174753_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

I just finished watching the new Tony Hawk documentary on HBO Max, and it really made me nostalgic for being a kid in the 80's that used to skate and follow the professional skaters of that time (The Bones Brigade videos were awesome). The Tony Hawk video games were also great and Skateboarding is still really popular with the X-Games and Olympics. The potential for cool 80's inspired pinball art, mixed with some licensed punk rock music and innovative and creative ramps in to simulate a skate-park go hand-in-hand. Also it makes sense that since the greatest pinball player and designer of all time and the greatest skateboarder are from the same hometown that a game should be made. In the documentary Tony even mentioned that he bought a pinball machine in the late 80's with some of his prize winnings.

#2 1 year ago

I think someone should produce a remake of Radical with Tony Hawk on it.
    CGC, Hagis, or maybe American Pinball could do a nice tribute game.

#3 1 year ago

No

#4 1 year ago

A Tony Hawk pin in 2000 would have been hotter than Pinball 2000.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I think someone should produce a remake of Radical with Tony Hawk on it.
    CGC, Hagis, or maybe American Pinball could do a nice tribute game.

I think both Radical and Skateball would be great inspiration for a new pin but I'd like to see something new from the ground up. I'm sure you could do some cool ball tricks and innovative things with ramps and magnets using modern technology.

#6 1 year ago

If they could get some licenses from some of the tunes on the video games that would bring back a lot of memories.

I saw him live when I was a kid with CKY playing. My mom was dating a rich guy at the time so he got the most expensive tickets right at the bottom of the half pipe.

#7 1 year ago

Not a bad idea just not sure enough pinball people were into skateboarding? I still buy decks and love my childhood skateboarding.

#8 1 year ago

Okay, I'd go for that. For a lesser known theme, I'd be into a Sean Murray pin (the Tony Hawk of wakeboarding, IMO).

BTW, my Pinside name is derived from a wakeboarding maneuver that literally nearly killed me back in 2000.

#9 1 year ago

I've thought for years that a tony hawk pro skater pin would be great. You could really do a lot with faux wood ramps, halfpipes etc.
    I also thought it would be cool to have a mode different than standard pinball where you had like 2:00 and you were trying to complete different tasks etc. like in the game.
    It would also open the door for a nice eclectic mix of hip hop, punk, rock, underground music like the OG games had.
    I'd own it.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from blastbeat:

Not a bad idea just not sure enough pinball people were into skateboarding?

Probably millions+ know him more from a video game than being skaters (themselves)

Seems like a fun idea but I'm struggling with an LCD package

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm struggling with an LCD package

Dude, all kinds of cool ideas pop into mind - big air, halfpipes, various tricks, all kinds of grabs, board graphics/upgrades. Main environment on disply could be a skate park or something.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from blastbeat:

Not a bad idea just not sure enough pinball people were into skateboarding? I still buy decks and love my childhood skateboarding.

I think there's more people than you think. I grew up in a tiny town in Wisconsin and we didn't have a skatepark or anything fun to do and skateboarding was still popular. I wish I would have hung unto my old decks.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Dude, all kinds of cool ideas pop into mind - big air, halfpipes, various tricks, all kinds of grabs, board graphics/upgrades. Main theme could be a skate park or something.

Real video? Animation?
    If done right it could be good fo sho. Could be cheesetastic though. Always a fine line.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Real video? Animation?
    If done right it could be good fo sho. Could be cheesetastic though. Always a fine line.

Yes, and licensed with Tony Hawk video/voice/instruction/commentary/etc.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yes, and licensed with Tony Hawk video/voice/instruction/commentary/etc.

Although, I'm thinking if one came out you would need the trifecta:
    - Skateboarding | Tony Hawk
    - Wakeboarding | Sean Murray
    - Snowboarding | Shawn White

Or maybe like Spooky just did - same pin with 3 different themes to choose from.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Although, I'm thinking if one came out you would need the trifecta:
    - Skateboarding
    - Wakeboarding
    - Snowboarding

No Fear here we come!

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No Fear here we come!

Yeah, but without all that unnecessary dirt bike, auto racing, sky diving, slalom water skiing crap - hah!

#18 1 year ago

Would love a Tony Hawk pin.

My greatest skate game nostalgia is for the Skate or Die series and 720* on NES, and Radical already nails that vibe well.

Haven't skated in about 5 years after an injury had me not walking right for 6 months. Was never very good at it

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

... and 720* on NES..

Oh man there's one you could never emulate or port form the arcade.

#20 1 year ago

On Iron Maiden, the ball gets hung up at the top of the center ramp on the right side (it takes a nudge to free it sometimes) and comes right back down the ramp...
    Always reminded me of a handplant or blunt trick on the lip!

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I wouldn't experience the arcade version until over two decades later, so nostalgia has me side with the NES version (didn't know any better back then ).

As for the Radical link, I've read "skate-or-die" wasn't a term used in skateboarding until it first showed up in 720* (EDIT: not true), which is the inspiration for the Skate or Die series (true), and I presume the use of it in Radical (probably true ).

The Skate or Die cover art/logo is also mimicked on the side of Guns 'n' Roses LE, and the Radical logo seems to take cues from it.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That’s why I finally found a 720….my grail arcade game. Completely rebuilt the joystick and it’s smooth as butter…spent way too many quarters on that game growing up.

A skate pin could be cool….but modern skaters come and go so quick….not sure enough people know the others besides Tony Hawk. For me it would have to be a throwback featuring Tony Hawk, Lance Mountain, Steve Caballero, Mike McGill and others from back in the day. Other than Bob Burnquist I don’t really know many of the new skaters. Haven’t followed it in forever. I think it would be tough to design the right toys/mechs to capture the theme well.

#23 1 year ago

I think it would be very cool, as mentioned could be a great playfield.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

That’s why I finally found a 720….my grail arcade game. Completely rebuilt the joystick and it’s smooth as butter…

Nice! Can get a little easy with the halfpipe cheat but still not the easiest thing to all gold.

#25 1 year ago

I'd rather see a Big Hawk pin.

Screenshot_20220407-174753_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220407-174753_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg
    #26 1 year ago

Maybe they could re-skin a WWE machine to Tony Hawk... would sell just as many I bet.

#27 1 year ago

Homer agrees...

96f509a879a8bc48b0eac6ad60ada6f4 (resized).jpg96f509a879a8bc48b0eac6ad60ada6f4 (resized).jpg
    #28 1 year ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

being a kid in the 80's

That's when it would have been topical. 30+ years later it far too late... which means a Tony Hawk pin from Stern is confirmed for 2032.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

That's when it would have been topical....

Exponentially more famous after the 80s.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

I've read "skate-or-die" wasn't a term used in skateboarding until it first showed up in 720*

A badly broken leg put an end to my halfpipe and pool skating "career" in 1985. 720 came out in 1986. I still have a photos that show me in an invert, staring at the camera, with "Skate or Die" emblazoned across the brim of the helmet in sharpie. If a kid in NY already knew "Skate or Die", I'm sure it's something I picked up from Transworld or Thrasher magazine... long before 720 came out.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

That’s why I finally found a 720….my grail arcade game. Completely rebuilt the joystick and it’s smooth as butter…spent way too many quarters on that game growing up.
    A skate pin could be cool….but modern skaters come and go so quick….not sure enough people know the others besides Tony Hawk. For me it would have to be a throwback featuring Tony Hawk, Lance Mountain, Steve Caballero, Mike McGill and others from back in the day. Other than Bob Burnquist I don’t really know many of the new skaters. Haven’t followed it in forever. I think it would be tough to design the right toys/mechs to capture the theme well.

You have to go with the throw back skaters. Those guys are all in the documentary. Picking the new skaters would be like picking the new Ghostbusters cast over the original.

Quoted from drsfmd:

That's when it would have been topical. 30+ years later it far too late... which means a Tony Hawk pin from Stern is confirmed for 2032.

The 80's is fresh for pinball themes. Games like Godzilla, BM66, and Beatles are from the 50's and 60's.

#32 1 year ago

Weren't there originally plans to make a Tony Hawk game for Pinball 2000? I remember reading somewhere that Bally made a deal with some sort of skateboarding related company to create a skateboard themed game every 10 years. First it was Skateball, then Radical, and then it was going to be Tony Hawk in 2000.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

A badly broken leg put an end to my halfpipe and pool skating "career" in 1985. 720 came out in 1986. I still have a photos that show me in an invert, staring at the camera, with "Skate or Die" emblazoned across the brim of the helmet in sharpie. If a kid in NY already knew "Skate or Die", I'm sure it's something I picked up from Transworld or Thrasher magazine... long before 720 came out.

I'm inclined to believe your take on it. I've edited my post

What I found mentioned the term had been around since the 50s, but seemed to suggest skateboarding didn't pick it up until 720*, but I probably misinterpreted it (likely just meant the first time it meant you skate or literally die [in the game]). Something I came across when I got Radical, as I wondered if there was any link to the Skate or Die games.

And FWIW, I was born in '85.

#34 1 year ago

How about the Bones Brigade?

41938D37-94AA-4906-A403-5D69060291F8 (resized).jpeg41938D37-94AA-4906-A403-5D69060291F8 (resized).jpeg
    #35 1 year ago

Here it is:

My awesome graphic skills are available anytime for a nominal fee

Tony Hawk Pinball (resized).jpgTony Hawk Pinball (resized).jpg
    #36 1 year ago

I have fond memories playing the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games. I think they would translate well to pinball. It would have a fun soundtrack and a "Loop of Death".

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #37 1 year ago
    Quoted from bballfan:

How about the Bones Brigade?[quoted image]

Damn... Mike McGill either has a gigantic head, or the others are microcephalic.

#38 1 year ago

A modern pin with a skate theme would be cool IMO. Not sure if it has broad appeal but I’d be into it and I can imagine many cool and creative playfield gimmicks.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I just finished watching the new Tony Hawk documentary on HBO Max, and it really made me nostalgic for being a kid in the 80's that used to skate and follow the professional skaters of that time (The Bones Brigade videos were awesome). The Tony Hawk video games were also great and Skateboarding is still really popular with the X-Games and Olympics. The potential for cool 80's inspired pinball art, mixed with some licensed punk rock music and innovative and creative ramps in to simulate a skate-park go hand-in-hand. Also it makes sense that since the greatest pinball player and designer of all time and the greatest skateboarder are from the same hometown that a game should be made. In the documentary Tony even mentioned that he bought a pinball machine in the late 80's with some of his prize winnings.

I think the P3 platform would lend itself well to a Tony Hawk (Skateboarding) style game.

Tony Hawk + Jason Ellis call outs anyone?

#41 1 year ago

Well Tony likes pinball....so it shouldn't be an issue getting a license.

maxresdefault.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg
    #42 1 year ago

Nope not for me

#43 1 year ago

Would buy

#45 1 year ago

Good idea for P3

#46 1 year ago

This is how you get your jaws and skateboard pin in one, these new guys are killing it.
    Seen Milton flip the car wash? 80's sk8ers paved the way, these kids are taking it to a whole new level.
    Jaws pin! All day.
    B

#47 1 year ago

Milton multiball!

2 months later
    #48 1 year ago

I would be onboard(no pun intended) for a new or old era of skateboard pin. If you follow the generational formula for music pins, The Bones Brigade would absolutely be your best theme. Sadly, the realist in me realizes skateboarding might be too niche for Stern to take on. You might get away with something like X Games but probably not. However, someone like Haggis, Spooky, or Multimorphic might take it on. Jump ramps, "grinding" across something with a magnet...lower playfield bowl?(Think Orbitor one but small). I may have to do a home-brew at some point.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I have fond memories playing the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games. I think they would translate well to pinball. It would have a fun soundtrack and a "Loop of Death".[quoted image]

Every heard of THUG Pro? Lots of folks are playing it online.

https://tonyhawkgames.fandom.com/wiki/THUG_Pro

#50 1 year ago

I haven't heard the name Tony Hawk in a very long time. Time for this would have been when he had PS2 games in his name.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-time-for-a-tony-hawk-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.