Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Craig
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cheers-egm.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    wonka.jpg
    TheWalkingDeadSlot.jpg
    batman.jpg
    image-5.jpg
    kandckeda.jpg
    TombstoneHead.jpg
    Trilogy.png
    KISS Pachinko.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pepermintswirl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 8 years ago

I have always wished the DMD was in the playfield, slightly north of the flippers. This would allow the player to see the animations while playing and pretty much eliminate the need for any backbox.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Like the embedded LCD screen on Heighway games?

Long story short, I will be in the market for my next pin in October. I already have Alien near the top of the list. This will only push me further from a NIB Stern or used WPC and closer to you.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Terrible idea because it limits what can be done in that space. No scoops, no lights, and no ramps.

I guess I fail to see how having the dmd in the playfield prevents these three things. Take the new ST for example. The entire center of the playfield is wasted. If the screen were there I could see all the cool screen action without really losing track of the ball and all of the current features would still fit exactly where they are.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

These are commercial units. The backbox is the giant ad designed to be seen from across a room and get you to play. W/o a backbox you can't tell what game is in front of you until you are at the machine, if you even see the machine on the other side of the room.

I understand this, but I am not a commercial operator. In the land where I wish for things, I don't really care about such nonsense.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Pinball Machines have an "iconic" design. The head is a part of that, even if it is not really needed anymore.
    It is not going anywhere.

The design of pinball machines when it comes to dmd placement is flawed. It is very difficult to watch the screen while you play and that is a major focal point of the machine.

My point being, lots of iconic designs have been changed over the years when something better came along.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pepermintswirl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-time-for-a-reshaped-head-on-pinball-machines?tu=pepermintswirl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.