(Topic ID: 315317)

is it safe to set nba fastbreak to current date?

By Femund

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8AAC44B2-0FA4-43AA-A192-F2872F4EF3A1 (resized).jpeg
166007F9-935B-4D22-A7CB-19C87DF8B3CC (resized).jpeg
safe2 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Is it safe to set nba fastbreak to current date and time?

#2 1 year ago

Yes. It is safe. The machines have not taken over. Y2K did not end all life as we know it.

#3 1 year ago

Not Y2K, but somewhat related. Surely WPC games will eventually run into a problem like the Unix epoch overflow in 2038

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

#4 1 year ago

If you want to be responsible for opening a portal to hell, that's on you.

#5 1 year ago

Just be sure to sell it on Jan 18, 2038.

#6 1 year ago
safe2 (resized).jpgsafe2 (resized).jpg
#7 1 year ago

Great a pinball machine will be the cause of a rip in the space-time continuum

#8 1 year ago

Be careful. The trivia questions might change to something more current.

#9 1 year ago

Depends on what timeline you are in. Is Skynet live yet?

#10 1 year ago

Not at all safe; the machine will "break fast!"

#11 1 year ago

Curious what kind of problems you think might arise if you set the time?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Not Y2K, but somewhat related. Surely WPC games will eventually run into a problem like the Unix epoch overflow in 2038
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

That's only if the WPC clock starts counting with 1970. That might not be the case since this game would have no reason to have dates prior to 1997 (or prior to 1989, if you're starting from the creation of the WPC platform, or 1990 with the first WPC title).

I haven't actually checked to see what the starting and ending dates are on WPC games.

#13 1 year ago

This is how stranger things season 4 starts

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I haven't actually checked to see what the starting and ending dates are on WPC games.

I just tested it in the browser-based WPC emulator:

https://playfield.dev

NBAFB's year adjustment range is 1989 to 2099.

Couldn't actually set it that high I think because of how the browser app is coded. Maybe its developer knows something we don't ...
(cue Twilight Zone intro here )

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think demolition man factories at 1989 but don’t hold me to that. It might depend on the revision.

At the end of the day such a small problem I usually disable display time and date anyway.

If you have a TZ just need to have time correct if you want the clock enabled A mode.

#16 1 year ago

The old man at the antique shop said Fastbreak is safe so long as you don’t feed it after midnight, get it wet, or change its date setting.

#17 1 year ago

I’ll buy everyone a drink if I last longer than this.

I checked Indiana Jones same date range

166007F9-935B-4D22-A7CB-19C87DF8B3CC (resized).jpeg166007F9-935B-4D22-A7CB-19C87DF8B3CC (resized).jpeg8AAC44B2-0FA4-43AA-A192-F2872F4EF3A1 (resized).jpeg8AAC44B2-0FA4-43AA-A192-F2872F4EF3A1 (resized).jpeg

#18 1 year ago

Well shit, now I want to set a game to Dec 31, 2099 and see what happens tomorrow

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Well shit, now I want to set a game to Dec 31, 2099 and see what happens tomorrow

I'm going to set mine right now to 23:55 on NYE 2099 and start a game and see what happens.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

I'm going to set mine right now to 23:55 on NYE 2099 and start a game and see what happens.

Happy New Year!

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Please don’t. The world is *still* recovering from 2020. I don’t think we could handle anything worse. It’s not worth the risk!

#22 1 year ago

And I'm 100% sure the Williams Y3K ROM patches will be available by the time it's an issue.

#23 1 year ago

Well, I found out what happened. Something unusual does happen but nothing too exciting. I'll put the spoiler in the "edit" section of this post if you want to know.

#24 1 year ago

Endless midnight madness on TZ then?

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Meldenhut:

Endless midnight madness on TZ then?

That’s a good thought. Does MM have midnight mode? That’s my newest BLY WMS game otherwise I could try on a Stern but that could have different symptoms.

My only fear is the 11:59 to 12:00 crossover is a trigger so you’d always be a second too late. Maybe not.

#26 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-have-a-midnight-madness-mode

October 21, 2015 came and went. If Data East Back to the Future didn't implode when we reached the date Marty traveled forward to, I think were safe.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-have-a-midnight-madness-mode
October 21, 2015 came and went. If Data East Back to the Future didn't implode when we reached the date Marty traveled forward to, I think were safe.

Now that was a missed opportunity for a nice Easter Egg.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

I’ll buy everyone a drink if I last longer than this.
I checked Indiana Jones same date range
[quoted image][quoted image]

becareful what you offer... by then a beer will probably cost $50 or $60!

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

becareful what you offer... by then a beer will probably cost $50 or $60!

I should be able to afford that on my $400.00 an hour wage by then

Maybe we’ll be in the middle of another prohibition then too -or- we’ll have something better than alcohol. (as hard as that might be to believe)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-safe-to-set-nba-fastbreak-to-current-date?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.