(Topic ID: 259312)

Is it safe to hold up the playfield by the metal rod?

By cyberslunk

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Lhyrgoif
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I feel sort of uneasy letting the playfield rest upwards like that when only supported by the metal rod on one side. Does this cause the playfield to bend or warp in any way? Is there a better way to go about this? It's old so I don't want the wood to warp in any way, but there's only a rod on one side so that's obviously how it was designed at the time.

#2 4 years ago

That's what it does for a living.

The other way is to(EDIT Take out ball) tilt the PF up, pull out the bottom, and rest it against the backbox.

#3 4 years ago

I never liked the one side rod thingie either.

Typically I found a small piece of wood or something like that and used it as a prop that I could locate somewhere in the center of the Playfield. It also allowed me to set the desired angle assuming my prop was the right size. I’d just rest the bottom solidly in the cabinet.

#4 4 years ago

Safe? I think as far as safety goes, it's just fine. It's not like the playfield will suddenly come conking down on your head if you properly secure the end of the rod in one of the two divots under the playfield. That being said, there are some who don't care for the torsional force it puts on the playfield. I don't think there's any danger of warping the playfield unless you leave it that way for a month, but some think it stresses the artwork on the playfield and can cause stress cracks or other damage. Me, I don't buy it.

#5 4 years ago

If I don't lean the playfield back. I use an automotive hood prop.

Set to what height you want, more than sturdy enough for a playfield. I secure the end on ball trough, flipper base plate, or other metal bracket near the center of the playfield.

And less likely to twist or bend the playfield. And a lot harder to accidentally hit and have the playfield come down and nail your head.

LTG : )

#6 4 years ago

For wide body games make sure to use a prop on the left side as well. A lot of twisting if on one side...

#7 4 years ago

I like the metal playfield prop rod a lot better than those hood shocks for automobiles some idiot decided to start using back in the 80s.

I always said whoever designed that system should have one rammed up his ass.

#8 4 years ago

There has been talk in the past that it may cause top coat/ paint issues by flexing the playfield.

Personally I don't worry about it. If you are worried you can make a prop stick to put in the middle of the playfield from the bottom of the cabinet.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That's what it does for a lving.
    The other way is to(EDIT Take out ball) tilt the PF up, pull out the bottom, and rest it against the backbox.

"Clays guide" has a good video and mostly uses the prop rod but demonstrates putting the playfield in "service mode" about four and a half minutes in ...

#10 4 years ago

Tim Arnold said years ago he does NOT like using them:

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/misc/arnold.html (scroll down to #27).

#11 4 years ago

I never use it for the already mentioned reasons. These games wasnt constructed to last 30 years, obviously they didnt take such things in consideration when designing the prop stick solution.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-safe-to-hold-up-the-playfield-by-the-metal-rod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.