• 32 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by snyper2099
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is it REALLY that Rare?”

• Gemini is so rare I would sell/trade my rare "Addams Family" as even in value? 2 votes
    9%
  • The old "Carnival" saying about a Sucker? 18 votes
    82%
  • Did Gemini 1 (AKA this pinball machine) actually reach the moon before Apollo 11? 2 votes
    9%

(22 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG4298 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

When I saw this ad on Craigslist I wondered if an extra zero was attached to this machine. Based on the ad this individual has a lot of machines so must know something about pricing (maybe the original price police) so I am not sure if it is a joke .

Am I really in the dark, Is this Gemini EM really that sought after?
Is this on the rare list with "Data East King Kong" $7000 machine level?
Was it a "HEP" retheme of "Twilight Zone"
I can't think of any EM that is priced at that level...Is this person on pinside? I have seen some some outratgeously priced ads including the Rare "Deadly Weapon" I am selling (Can't give away)

Help me break this down?!

delaware.craigslist.org link

#2 4 years ago

Looks pretty rare, only 300 made and only 11 pinsiders have it. Price seems consistent with other *asking* prices over the last 4 years:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive?s=1&ad_machine_key=203

It looks pretty cool for an EM, but I sure wouldn't pay that much for it.

#3 4 years ago

Well, certainly it's going to appeal to a small subset of collectors. 300 made would certainly qualify as uncommon if not 'rare'. (I always laugh at any game where they made more than 2000 people calling it 'rare' - it's not, in the pinball world. Or even more laughingly, any of the top 15 produced machines all over 10k produced, with anything about rarity attached, they just aren't).

I wouldn't trade any number of games for it though, as it would be something I'd be interested in playing, but not interesting in owning. People of course are free to ask whatever they please for their games (he does say "asking" which implies he's open to negotiation) - whether or not he sells it at what price point likely we'll never know.

#4 4 years ago

Gemini in the 2nd to last Gottlieb multiplayer EM (Space Walk).
It's that rare....and nobody thinks 300 remain...widely assumed around 100 are out there.

It will sell for 5K or north - guaranteed - in that condition.

#5 4 years ago

Gemini is rare, valuable, desired, collectible, et cetera.

That said, $7k should get you an utterly pristine example. Nice as this one is, it has some deficiencies that undermine the asking price.

#6 4 years ago

I would not be surprised they get 5k for it.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Gemini in the 2nd to last Gottlieb multiplayer EM (Space Walk).
It's that rare....and nobody thinks 300 remain...widely assumed around 100 are out there.

So it's the last unique playfield layout one since Space Walk is essentially Countdown.

#8 4 years ago

According to IPSND this game was in Illinois in 2016 and listed on ebay for more than $5000:

http://www.ipsnd.net/details.aspx?id=43070

#9 4 years ago

I put it in the same cult category
of pins worth more than other typical pins of their same eras,
for no apparent good reason
other than a small group of rabid collectors (with lots of spare cash on hand)
that want to own something rare and unique.
Spirit comes to mind, or Mermaid.

#10 4 years ago

“Hit the Deck” or “Strange World” would be my choices followed by Gemini simply because those are Wedgeheads. But for $7k, I don’t think I’d be shopping EM.

#11 4 years ago

Submitted by Rod McLarge ???

#12 4 years ago

You can throw TKO into that mix as well for rare late Gottlieb EMs. Having never played a Gemini, I can't vouch for its appeal, but obviously it is rare. TKO gameplay is not great, but they still command very high (for EMs) prices. Collectors with deep pockets won't flinch at the price.

#13 4 years ago

Yes it’s rare.

Still no reason you can’t angrily email the seller “ITS NOT AS RARE AS KING KONG YOU SUCK!!”

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

....it has some deficiencies that undermine the asking price.

Would love to know what those are.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes it’s rare.
Still no reason you can’t angrily email the seller “ITS NOT AS RARE AS KING KONG YOU SUCK!!”

It's not even in the same league as KK. $$,$$$.00

John

#16 4 years ago

When I was actively searching I had the choice of 3 of them. I passed on them. I got a call out of the blue from a good friend who asked if I was interested in buying his. I had forgotten he had one! 3 seconds later I was getting his PayPal info. I’m happy to be a Gemini owner, as it’s a grail for a 2 player Gottlieb collector like me, although I find many EMs just as fun (if not more fun).

#17 4 years ago

To answer your question I would not spend that much on a perfect Gemini unless you look at it more than you play it. In that case it’s arguably the prettiest Gottlieb art package, period.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

I've seen and played 3 of these, including this exact one. This nicest looking of the three I've played. I doubt you'll see a better one come up for sale.

#19 4 years ago

Some games are rare, others are scarce. Production numbers can be misleading. I've seen many more copies of "Neptune" than "Gemini", but perhaps because I'm in an add-a-ball state bordered by another add-a-ball state. Distribution and survival rates determine how often a particular title will turn up. I would think at least half of the number of any late '70s EM title would still exist today, but for some reason, certain titles seem to come up far less frequently than others with similar production numbers.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

It's not even in the same league as KK. $$,$$$.00
John

The ad doesn’t mention King Kong, the OP does.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

Broken plastic on the lower right sling, faded and blemished apron, assorted cabinet nicks, and the worn area (planking/graining) below the left pop bumper. It’s the last thing that harms it the most. Still, pretty nice. But not $7k nice.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Some games are rare, others are scarce. Production numbers can be misleading.

I think one needs to factor in what games were exported to Europe,
and I think MultiPlayers had a larger percentage exported to Europe than stay in USA.
Poseidon (Italian export) are like hens teeth,
where as Neptune and Hit the Deck (by comparison) are almost a dime a dozen.

another example of scarce in USA game but more common in europe is GTB NOW (production @ 1125)

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I think one needs to factor in what games were exported to Europe,

Yes, most certainly. Particularly Bally games. Some had fairly substantial production numbers, but they're just about non-existent here.

#24 4 years ago

I recently acquired a Gottlieb “Amazon Hunt.”
I found it interesting that 1500 were made and only 8 people admit to having it in their Pinside collection.
Compared to Gemini- 300 made, 11 people have it in their Pinside collection.
King Kong- 9 made, 3 people have it in their Pinside collection...

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Broken plastic on the lower right sling, faded and blemished apron, assorted cabinet nicks, and the worn area (planking/graining) below the left pop bumper. It’s the last thing that harms it the most. Still, pretty nice. But not $7k nice.

There is a point with hard to find items where those small things tend to not affect price all that much. It’s hard to explain but the harder something is to find, the less condition affects the overall price of the item. If there are 90 or 5, condition is less “expected” than a game where they made 5,000. In fact, I would rather own a a decent players condition original over a restored rare piece any day.

#26 4 years ago

Gemini is great, and I would trade an Addams family for it.
True, I'm no fan if Addams.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Particularly Bally games.

Bally SeeSaw comes to mind

#28 4 years ago

Right, next to my old Jungle. Seller is a good guy. This is his second Gemini if I recall.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Gemini is great, and I would trade an Addams family for it.
True, I'm no fan if Addams.

DAMMIT MAN...why didn't I think of that when I HAD AN ADDAMS. My wife's been after Gemini for YEARS...and I keep asking her when she's going to come up with the 6k to buy one. I mean...she called it good on Crescendo, after all.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Neptune and Hit the Deck are almost a dime a dozen.

Please, by all means point me in the direction of any sub-1k Neptune OR Hit the Deck you come across. I'll even trade my Cyclone for one. Not kidding.

#30 4 years ago

guy picked one up by me recently, think he got it for a few hundred dollars. seen several sell at 5k

#31 4 years ago

Local guy has a kong we get to play

IMAG4298 (resized).jpgIMAG4298 (resized).jpg
#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Local guy has a kong we get to play

You play that on purpose? Sounds like torture.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Staunton, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kent, WA
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-really-that-rare and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.