20140517_144923.jpg
20140517_145028.jpg
20140517_144332.jpg
20140517_144310.jpg
20140517_144201.jpg
20140513_205900-983.jpg
20140513_205848-437.jpg
20140513_205822-802.jpg
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Just wondering if it is possible to reproduce plastics at home? What equipment do you need? Would it be cost prohibitive? I would think that you would avoid copy-write issues as long as you didn't mass produce and sell them like crazy? Ive never messed with 3d printing. Can you print clear plastics? What about the artwork, would that have to be a sticker applied later or part of the print?

Sorry for so many questions... Im just curious. I broke a couple met plastics, and contacted my distributor for replacements. Apparently you have to buy the whole set instead of just what you need.... I picked up the set cause this met isnt going anywhere for a long while.... But it was expensive at 140ish plus shipping and tax.

Got me thinking .... If I could do this at home....

#2 10 years ago

People use lexan, we have used photo paper with double sided tape sealed with clearcoat along the edges. Works out pretty well.

#3 10 years ago

It can be done. You need not only the plastic sheet, but a cutting plotter to cut the plastic. Then print the plastic. Before that you need a scanner and an artist to put the image right and cutting lines.
If it is cost prohibitive? oh yeah... it's a lot of work so you do it only when there's no alternative. I have done a few times, but only for plastics that are not available anywhere. I will do a sopranos slingshot soon..

#4 10 years ago

It can be done.

Do you have any friends with a silkscreen press for t-shirts in their garage?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It can be done.
Do you have any friends with a silkscreen press for t-shirts in their garage?

Unfortunately not.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

It can be done. You need not only the plastic sheet, but a cutting plotter to cut the plastic. Then print the plastic. Before that you need a scanner and an artist to put the image right and cutting lines.
If it is cost prohibitive? oh yeah... it's a lot of work so you do it only when there's no alternative. I have done a few times, but only for plastics that are not available anywhere. I will do a sopranos slingshot soon..

I was thinking that the met plastic around sparkys feet could be extended horizontally to make a roof over the feet and target. That way it might cut down on air balls. May make more SDTM though. Those plastic pieces are all clear, so no artwork to deal with. But they are very irregularly shaped. Might need to be thicker plastic to take the abuse of getting direct hits

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I was thinking that the met plastic around sparkys feet could be extended horizontally to make a roof over the feet and target. That way it might cut down on air balls. May make more SDTM though. Those plastic pieces are all clear, so no artwork to deal with. But they are very irregularly shaped. Might need to be thicker plastic to take the abuse of getting direct hits

Hmm....... well, you can make a scan of that plastic then i can help you out to draw the cutting line to the new one with your guidance.
lmk if you need help.

#8 10 years ago

What about getting a ramp remade, is that possible? I have a Who Dunnit that has the notoriously cracked main ramp..... Seems like someone should be able to....

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

What about getting a ramp remade, is that possible? I have a WHO dunnit that has the notoriously cracked main ramp..... Seems like someone should be able to....

More than a few people have built a home made vacuum forming table to do exactly this. Minimal investment required. Results probably heavily dependent on your skill level though.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Hmm....... well, you can make a scan of that plastic then i can help you out to draw the cutting line to the new one with your guidance.
lmk if you need help.

What model/type of cutting plotter do you use? Did a quick search and i see ones that print cut vinyl, but not plastic/lexan. I see some suggestions of using wood working tools like a ban saw to cut out the design...

#11 10 years ago
#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

What model/type of cutting plotter do you use?

Nobody has those machines at home. You have to go to a printing company. Witch sucks because most of them don't accept customers like us, just companies for mass production.
I work on the advertising business and i know a guy on a printing company, that's why i can get anything. But I rarely ask for these kind of jobs because the guys have to stop a 100 ton machine to do a crappy little plastic lol So i only do it when i can't find plastic sets.

#13 10 years ago

there's a lot of hype about home 3d printing, and justifiably so, but there are lots of real limitations as well. Home 3d printers are not capable of smooth plastic ramps of a quality that would be presentable on a pinball machine. The results that come off a printer are ruddy and lined and not super high resolution. you can work the surface with various chemicals by hand, but it's really hard and you lose precision and will end up with a ramp that looks like you molded it out of play dough. it would both look terrible and break down quickly. you'd have better luck trying to recreate something mechanical like an actuator arm or bracket or something.

#14 10 years ago

Cut two 1/8 inch Lexan or Poly Carbonate pieces to the correct shape. Cut with band saw, scroll saw or something similar. Sand the edges so that there is a nice finish. Now take a scanned image and print it using an ink printer. Laser printers work but normally don't do as good with the color. Use backlit paper. Sandwich the printout between the two pieces of plastic and install in the machine.

It's not as good as an original. Most people (non pinball geeks) won't notice that it’s not original. The Just make sure to spend time getting both plastic pieces the same and cleanup the edges.

#15 10 years ago

How would you join the 2 pieces and seal the edges using the sandwich method?

#16 10 years ago

I have successfully used a local print shop to do vinyl prints on PETG for me to reproduce plastics very reasonably. I do the artwork myself (300 dpi) and give them the file. A few days later I get the printed sheet of PETG from them and simply cut them out using a scroll saw (high tooth count on the blade) and drill the holes with my drill press. I think the last set I had them print for a Super Soccer was around $25 including the PETG.

Jeff

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from JeffHecht:

I have successfully used a local print shop to do vinyl prints on PETG for me to reproduce plastics very reasonably. I do the artwork myself (300 dpi) and give them the file. A few days later I get the printed sheet of PETG from them and simply cut them out using a scroll saw (high tooth count on the blade) and drill the holes with my drill press. I think the last set I had them print for a Super Soccer was around $25 including the PETG.
Jeff

Any chance we can see pics of the result?

#18 10 years ago

I've thought before that it would be a lot of fun to do alternate slingshot plastic designs, especially with the awful print quality Stern uses on theirs. Seems like laser cutting is the way to go for that.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Any chance we can see pics of the result?

I'll post an example when I get a chance.... I don't have any pictures available at the moment

Quoted from Aurich:

I've thought before that it would be a lot of fun to do alternate slingshot plastic designs

I have done just that very thing (all plastics actually). It's a lot of fun and the print quality is quite respectable.

Jeff

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

How would you join the 2 pieces and seal the edges using the sandwich method?

Don't have to do anything to the edge. Let the caps or nuts hold it together. I've seen this done on a High Speed and had to look twice. With the room lights down and the lighting of the game it looked good. Guess you could use a small drop of super glue if you have a spot where they want to separate. Just be careful it doesn't wick into the paper.

#21 10 years ago

Interesting idea to say the least. What about the thickness? At 1/4", which is quite thick, you have to make compromises almost everywhere to deal with the added height when rebuilding the playfield.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Interesting idea to say the least. What about the thickness? At 1/4", which is quite thick, you have to make compromises almost everywhere to deal with the added height when rebuilding the playfield.

1/4 inch would be two thick. Most have used thinner Lexan. I will be doing this on my Meteor if I ever get a scan of the right kicker plastic.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from hobbypin:

1/4 inch would be two thick. Most have used thinner Lexan. I will be doing this on my Meteor if I ever get a scan of the right kicker plastic.

Right, 2 1/8" pieces = 1/4" in thickness. I don't think that would work well.

#25 10 years ago

Here are some shots of a couple of the plastics I recreated for Embryon. These are vinyl prints on PETG. I'll work up another post in the next couple of days on how I do this.

DSC_5952.JPGDSC_5952.JPG
DSC_5953.JPGDSC_5953.JPG

Jeff

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from JeffHecht:

Here are some shots of a couple of the plastics I recreated for Embryon.

Wow. That's pretty awesome. Would love to see a full post explanation!

What's the thickness difference between the PETG and the original plastic? And does it hold up to heat from playfield GI?

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from JeffHecht:

I'll work up another post in the next couple of days on how I do this.

Nice, please do, I'd love to read.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from supercombo:

Wow. That's pretty awesome. Would love to see a full post explanation!
What's the thickness difference between the PETG and the original plastic? And does it hold up to heat from playfield GI?

The thickness of the PETG is the same as the originals. In fact, the original plastics are also on PETG I believe so they do just fine with the controlled and GI lighting.

Jeff

#29 10 years ago

I am about to try doing some repros for a couple of broken plastics on my machines as well

I am going to scan in the original, correct / complete the missing bits in an art program and and try printing out onto clear on my color laser printer to sandwich between a couple of pieces of petg

I may also try having the local sign company print me a vinyl color print to stick to the bottom piece of petg with another clear piece over that too

so yes keep posting on possible techniques

thanks

#30 10 years ago

Been working with my bro, he has access to cad program at work. I scanned a couple clear no artwork plastics, gonna experiment some with reproducing/modifying them. I found a sheet of acrylic impact reistant plastic at lowes today for 10 bucks. Its 18in x 24in. That should allow us to play some. They have lexan there too but it was more expensive and thicker than the factory plastics....

My dad was really into woodworking, so we have his scroll saw, drill press, sanding station etc. Over the holidays im sure well get some bro time in hanging out in dads old shop/garage. Ill keep ya posted and share any mods we come up with for met pro.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Just wondering if it is possible to reproduce plastics at home? What equipment do you need? Would it be cost prohibitive? I would think that you would avoid copy-write issues as long as you didn't mass produce and sell them like crazy? Ive never messed with 3d printing. Can you print clear plastics? What about the artwork, would that have to be a sticker applied later or part of the print?
Sorry for so many questions... Im just curious. I broke a couple met plastics, and contacted my distributor for replacements. Apparently you have to buy the whole set instead of just what you need.... I picked up the set cause this met isnt going anywhere for a long while.... But it was expensive at 140ish plus shipping and tax.
Got me thinking .... If I could do this at home....

Alan Lewis showed a way to reproduce plastics a couple of years ago at the Texas Pinball Festival using a reverse decal process and they come out perfect. Rich Wiski did 3 plastics using this process on my Dragon Fist. The 2 slingslots and the one with the "Red" fist to the left of the spinner. He built the artwork from all the broken pieces and then put in the necessary artwork that was not avaliable from pictures. Then he did the magic.

They look just like original but they are two sided decals on plastic and one of the decals has Triple thick on it.

Here is the picture.

IMG_8377.JPGIMG_8377.JPG
#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Alan Lewis showed a way to reproduce plastics a couple of years ago at the Texas Pinball Festival using a reverse decal process and they come out perfect. Rich Wiski did 3 plastics using this process on my Dragon Fist. The 2 slingslots and the one with the "Red" fist to the left of the spinner. He built the artwork from all the broken pieces and then put in the necessary artwork that was not avaliable from pictures. Then he did the magic.
They look just like original but they are two sided decals on plastic and one of the decals has Triple thick on it.
Here is the picture.

IMG_8377.JPG 930 KB

Looks great!

#33 10 years ago

For those following this thread, I spent a little time tonight documenting the method I use to recreate plastics.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-i-recreate-plastics#post-1265004

Jeff

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Been working with my bro, he has access to cad program at work. I scanned a couple clear no artwork plastics, gonna experiment some with reproducing/modifying them. I found a sheet of acrylic impact reistant plastic at lowes today for 10 bucks. Its 18in x 24in. That should allow us to play some. They have lexan there too but it was more expensive and thicker than the factory plastics....
My dad was really into woodworking, so we have his scroll saw, drill press, sanding station etc. Over the holidays im sure well get some bro time in hanging out in dads old shop/garage. Ill keep ya posted and share any mods we come up with for met pro.

Did a rough dryrun at making a repro for a rather complex shaped plastic from my met. The one that goes around the back of the left ramp from the sparky spotlight to the cross. This was an ambitious one to start on. But its the one i broke... I just used a jigsaw and a fresh blade in my util knife. Lets just say its not pretty, but i learned the jigsaw isnt the correct tool. I ended up breaking a corner off and having jagged edges... Def need practice and scroll saw....

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from JeffHecht:

For those following this thread, I spent a little time tonight documenting the method I use to recreate plastics.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-i-recreate-plastics#post-1265004
Jeff

Thank you so much! Awesome writeup.

My factory plastics have a shiny see through almost melted look to them on the edges. Presumably from laser cutter.... But my jigsaw dry run plastic had dull foggy edges even after sanding.... Is there a way to get that factory look so the plastics don't scream homemade?

#36 10 years ago

I know what you are describing. The PETG and the very fine scroll saw blades I use give me a pretty nice edge, but it is still just a bit rough. I suppose it would be possible to try to flame polish the edges of the PETG, but I haven't tried that... might have to give that a whirl and see what happens.

Jeff

#37 10 years ago

If you're doing enough plastics it's probably worth just having a sheet laser cut, way easier, and you'll get super clean edges. It's not like it's that expensive either when you think about what repro stuff would cost you.

#38 10 years ago

Got a scroll saw from Harbor Freight with a fine tooth blade and I made these rough cuts out of 1/8" plexi with absolutely no fabricating experience. Extremely easy to do and I'm very pleased with the results. Going to try the grinding wheel next and post an update.

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/stationary-scroll-saw.html

image-531.jpgimage-531.jpg
image-559.jpgimage-559.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#39 10 years ago

I found that the stone wheel on the grinder is good for very rough edges and the fiber wheel is best for most edges. I cleaned up the pieces quite a bit using this bench grinder:

http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-grinder-with-flex-shaft-43533.html

image-381.jpgimage-381.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image-98.jpgimage-98.jpg
#40 10 years ago

I ran off the prints on photo paper and will be securing it to the lexan using rolling glue. They turned out great!

image.jpgimage.jpg image-755.jpgimage-755.jpg image-898.jpgimage-898.jpg
#41 10 years ago

Nice work Crash! I know LW3 isn't a loved game by most, but with it such an affordable entry level DMD, you'd think someone would make plastic sets as many have the same broken plastics and there's quite a few of these out there. Unless licensing is the issue which may very well be.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I ran off the prints on photo paper and will be securing it to the lexan using rolling glue. They turned out great!

image.jpg 163 KB

image-898.jpg 116 KB

image-755.jpg 135 KB

How do these look with the light shining through the material....Interesting....

#43 10 years ago

Word of advice, drill the large holes before applying decals, or shavings will be trapped between the plexi and paper. Lesson learned, other than that they're perfect!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#44 10 years ago

Installed the first 2 pieces and they REALLY look good with the GI underneath. Surprisingly they literally look no different than normal screened plastics.

image-576.jpgimage-576.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
#45 10 years ago

Man, those are professional looking!!!
Mike

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I was thinking that the met plastic around sparkys feet could be extended horizontally to make a roof over the feet and target. That way it might cut down on air balls.

When I bought my plastic protectors set from Pinbits, they sent me 3 different plastics marked "test". One was identical to the stock plastic, one extended to the half-way point, and one that was flush along the front edge. I ended up using the "medium" one, and it has drastically reduced airballs. I'm not sure what their plans were for making them available.

#47 10 years ago

Just done, Sopranos slings and safe top. You can't even tell the difference when installed:
2013-12-04 19.32.16.jpg2013-12-04 19.32.16.jpg
2013-12-04 19.31.44.jpg2013-12-04 19.31.44.jpg
2013-12-04 22.03.23.jpg2013-12-04 22.03.23.jpg

#48 10 years ago

For large holes, use a blade to cut out after applying the decal.

image-840.jpgimage-840.jpg

Another tip for long plastics whose artwork will not fit on a standard 8-1/2" by 11" sheet. Merge the two pieces with a strip of tape going across the back seam and treat it as one piece when applying to the plastic. Turns out great.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#49 10 years ago

Another long piece done using the same method.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#50 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

When I bought my plastic protectors set from Pinbits, they sent me 3 different plastics marked "test". One was identical to the stock plastic, one extended to the half-way point, and one that was flush along the front edge. I ended up using the "medium" one, and it has drastically reduced airballs. I'm not sure what their plans were for making them available.

Thanks for posting that! Ive been too busy to attempt to make one since beginning this thread, but ill definitely go towards the medium route based on your feedback! Did the non-airballs lead to SDTM drains?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 149.00
7,600 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-possible-to-reproduce-pinball-plastics-including-artwork-at-home and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.