(Topic ID: 167550)

Is it possible to polish scratches out of playfield glass?

By MikeS

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RCA1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

NightMoves (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I know for most games the simple answer is to just put in a new sheet or have custom glass cut but this particular game is a Night Moves Cocktail pin which due to the shape and masking of the glass would be difficult/cost prohibitive to do.

I'd say the scratches are all either light/medium in size. Would a glass shop be able to polish the scratches out? are there any compounds that could be used with a buffing wheel that would be easy to DIY? Just seeing if there are any recommendations out there. I enclosed a pic of night moves (not my pin) for reference. thanks!

NightMoves (resized).jpg

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys! I think i'll bring it in to the local shop and see what they say. The masking that is on the glass is just black and it goes around the perimeter of the glass on the underside. I guess i could always do that part myself after getting the glass cut.-I like the adhesive vinyl suggestion since that is easy to reverse if I screw it up. I should probably just let it be as it plays fine with the glass. I think it's just my pinball OCD kicking in since I tend to always put brand new glass in my other pins whenever I encounter scratches.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Give it about 5 years.... Your kids will fix your OCD for you..... The glass will be the least of your concerns once you see all of the cool artwork they draw on the sides of your machines to help you out...
You could try a kit out like this-
amazon.com link »

So far I've been lucky but I have made sure to put my games with shitty cabinets on the ends just in case... Still will probably happen at some point though! Now I just need to deal with having my coin slots jammed with nickels all the time.-somehow all the nickels in my nickel slot keep disappearing

I've seen kits like that before for auto glass, but not sure how well they would work?
amazon.com link »

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The glass is tempered, so the glass shop will probably charge you .60 cents per inch of scratch to polish out any scratches.

If they charge anywhere close to $.60 an inch than that wouldn't be cost effective as the scratches are all over the glass! They aren't super deep but are very noticeable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 30.00
Apparel - Men
Pinball Haus
Cabinet Parts
Maple Street Sign Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Game Room Info Shop
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 75.00
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
€ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Multigame
€ 279.00
Displays
PINBALLSP
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside