(Topic ID: 167550)

Is it possible to polish scratches out of playfield glass?

By MikeS

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RCA1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

NightMoves (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I know for most games the simple answer is to just put in a new sheet or have custom glass cut but this particular game is a Night Moves Cocktail pin which due to the shape and masking of the glass would be difficult/cost prohibitive to do.

I'd say the scratches are all either light/medium in size. Would a glass shop be able to polish the scratches out? are there any compounds that could be used with a buffing wheel that would be easy to DIY? Just seeing if there are any recommendations out there. I enclosed a pic of night moves (not my pin) for reference. thanks!

NightMoves (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

try a glass shop, with the diy part, I think hell would freeze over before you got any results.
I have tried on crt's with no gain. just my experience. maybe shop for a part out with good glass???

#3 3 years ago

I had playfield glass cut and tempered at a local glass shop and it was not that expensive, about $40. It was done elsewhere and shipped in, so it took about a week. In other words, I wouldn't rule out getting a piece of glass made.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

I had playfield glass cut and tempered at a local glass shop and it was not that expensive, about $40. It was done elsewhere and shipped in, so it took about a week. In other words, I wouldn't rule out getting a piece of glass made.

I think there is art screened on the underside of the glass, well not art but the black masking around the border?

#5 3 years ago

New glass is the way to go. I don't think buffing it out would be cost effective even if it could be done. Yes, that shape is probably more expensive than a rectangle, my local glass shop will do octagons, kidney shaped, drill, tempered, whatever I want (I just don't know about the masking part) I had them cut new glass for my Space Invaders wide body, and it is still cheaper than buying and shipping glass.

#6 3 years ago

As far as the glass, most glass shops can probably match that shape without too much problem. The masking on the other hand would be the issue. If it's just a black masking with no artwork or text you could probably do it yourself with black adhesive vinyl. Or possibly mask and spray paint it with paint and then a clearcoat.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys! I think i'll bring it in to the local shop and see what they say. The masking that is on the glass is just black and it goes around the perimeter of the glass on the underside. I guess i could always do that part myself after getting the glass cut.-I like the adhesive vinyl suggestion since that is easy to reverse if I screw it up. I should probably just let it be as it plays fine with the glass. I think it's just my pinball OCD kicking in since I tend to always put brand new glass in my other pins whenever I encounter scratches.

#8 3 years ago

You can definitely get the scratches out but could take several hours depending on how many there are. It requires a special polishing grit and pad that would attach to a variable speed grinder. I have restored many windshields using this method.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think it's just my pinball OCD kicking in since I tend to always put brand new glass in my other pins whenever I encounter scratches.

Give it about 5 years.... Your kids will fix your OCD for you..... The glass will be the least of your concerns once you see all of the cool artwork they draw on the sides of your machines to help you out...

You could try a kit out like this-
amazon.com link »

#10 3 years ago

The glass is tempered, so the glass shop will probably charge you .60 cents per inch of scratch to polish out any scratches.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Give it about 5 years.... Your kids will fix your OCD for you..... The glass will be the least of your concerns once you see all of the cool artwork they draw on the sides of your machines to help you out...
You could try a kit out like this-
amazon.com link »

So far I've been lucky but I have made sure to put my games with shitty cabinets on the ends just in case... Still will probably happen at some point though! Now I just need to deal with having my coin slots jammed with nickels all the time.-somehow all the nickels in my nickel slot keep disappearing

I've seen kits like that before for auto glass, but not sure how well they would work?
amazon.com link »

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The glass is tempered, so the glass shop will probably charge you .60 cents per inch of scratch to polish out any scratches.

If they charge anywhere close to $.60 an inch than that wouldn't be cost effective as the scratches are all over the glass! They aren't super deep but are very noticeable.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If they charge anywhere close to $.60 an inch than that wouldn't be cost effective as the scratches are all over the glass! They aren't super deep but are very noticeable.

That's what it comes down to:. what you can live with. If theres a few minor scratches, I tend to ignore them. I can't seem to keep everything nice (read:kids, pets, my own buffoonery.). If there is a lot and/or really noticeable, it's worth it to correct.

#14 3 years ago

Not sure you can polish tempered glass as it is under pressure and can break when the pressure is released. Make a pattern of the glass and have the glass shop cut it and send it out to be tempered. I worked in commercial glass but we did not do anything but windows and doors but I have popped a lot of tempered glass on my day.

#15 3 years ago

The Eastwood company sells automotive glass polishing kits, never tried but I herd it works.

#16 3 years ago

I am tying to get my Night Moves up and running and I also have scratched up glass. I am interested in seeing what you come up with! The good thing about having non perfect glass is that you aren't as worried about putting something on the glass which is so tempting on the cocktail table games!

#17 3 years ago

Let us know what you come up with.
My Caribean Cruise has some scratches in the glass that I could do without.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 2.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 800.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 50.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside