(Topic ID: 333082)

Is it possible to over tumble metal parts?

By mmr61184

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AEE66447-7B78-4372-A156-EE501541B8E0 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

I thought I remember somebody saying that you should check on the parts as you tumble them as opposed to just throwing them in there and coming back a few days later because you could over tumble them. I could also be losing my mind, I am not using anything super aggressive for media just walnut shells and flitz.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

I thought I remember somebody saying that you should check on the parts as you tumble them as opposed to just throwing them in there and coming back a few days later because you could over tumble them. I could also be losing my mind, I am not using anything super aggressive for media just walnut shells and flitz.

Yeah, it's certainly possible to take the zinc coating off of some parts that have that.

#3 1 year ago

Depending on what you toss into the bowl, parts could potentially get wedged together and could get damaged that way. Also, if a part gets wedge a certain way against the bowl, it can potentially eat a hole through the bowl (I've had that happen before).

Yes, if you let them tumble for days or weeks on end, parts could potentially get worn down in places that you might not like.

Certain parts are zinc or nickel plated, so it is possible to wear through or strip that plating.

Also, I don't mix small parts (screws, nuts, small brackets, etc) with large parts. That way the small parts aren't banging against the larger ones.

I generally try to check the tumbler every 2-4 hours or so to make sure things are ok, rather than leaving it completely unattended.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Depending on what you toss into the bowl, parts could potentially get wedged together and could get damaged that way. Also, if a part gets wedge a certain way against the bowl, it can potentially eat a hole through the bowl (I've had that happen before).
    Yes, if you let them tumble for days or weeks on end, parts could potentially get worn down in places that you might not like.
    Certain parts are zinc or nickel plated, so it is possible to wear through or strip that plating.
    Also, I don't mix small parts (screws, nuts, small brackets, etc) with large parts. That way the small parts aren't banging against the larger ones.
    I generally try to check the tumbler every 2-4 hours or so to make sure things are ok, rather than leaving it completely unattended.

That makes sense, I dont even bother with tumbling the larger brackets I just replace if they are messed up or have them replated. I stick to mostly screws posts and smaller bracket components

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

I have been tumbling for 4 years now and yes some parts will but most don’t even when your using walnut media and flitz I most use the same thing and learned u can’t hurt with that ,the longer it’s in there just makes them shine more

#6 1 year ago

I usually give a quick check once every night when I turn it off for bed

Only real damage I've had is cases where I made the mistake of tumbling 'smooth polished' metal parts like mirror plated guides/etc with small sharp things like screws, and then they got all scratched up

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I usually give a quick check once every night when I turn it off for bed
    Only real damage I've had is cases where I made the mistake of tumbling 'smooth polished' metal parts like mirror plated guides/etc with small sharp things like screws, and then they got all scratched up

Yes I try too keep the same things in there at the same time

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Yes I try too keep the same things in there at the same time

Should just get a second tumbler then

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Should just get a second tumbler then

Yes u can but I only have the 18lb one from HF and I just do almost the same parts together so things don't get marked up as much

#10 1 year ago

The steel parts you tumble will always be harder than any media you use. If you leave it on for a month, it won't grind your parts to dust. The media will probably be dust, but not the parts. Just check it every few hours. The tumbler is doing all the work, you just need to check to see when it's done.

Also, use a quality polish to speed things up. I use and recommend Blue Magic metal polish. Available at many auto parts stores. Works great and leaves a thin protective film on your parts.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The steel parts you tumble will always be harder than any media you use. If you leave it on for a month, it won't grind your parts to dust. The media will probably be dust, but not the parts. Just check it every few hours. The tumbler is doing all the work, you just need to check to see when it's done.
    Also, use a quality polish to speed things up. I use and recommend Blue Magic metal polish. Available at many auto parts stores. Works great and leaves a thin protective film on your parts.

I was thinking more along the lines of destroying the finish on parts than grinding them down.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

it can potentially eat a hole through the bowl (I've had that happen before)

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

My tumbler has some, uhh, battle scars. I slightly overfilled it once and it ate several holes in the bowl. After patching them up with resin, I ran it a few more times. Then on its first job in my new house, the wingnut came loose on the lid, and the tumbler shook itself to failure until the wire connections pulled right off the motor tabs. I think it's pretty much toast at this point, unable to tighten.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

I was thinking more along the lines of destroying the finish on parts than grinding them down.

Just don't over load it and check every few hours too see how it's doing that's what I do and seems too work well ,when u check and if it's good for u great if not turn it back on and I don't think with using walnut media u won't ever hurt the parts

#14 1 year ago

I use walnut media and find that with the 6/32 metal posts the threads get totally ruined and the nuts won't thread on them so the only way around that is to put double nuts on them first

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomtest:

I use walnut media and find that with the 6/32 metal posts the threads get totally ruined and the nuts won't thread on them so the only way around that is to put double nuts on them first

That’s interesting I have never seen that before it heard that good to know

#16 1 year ago

First round of shiny stuff

AEE66447-7B78-4372-A156-EE501541B8E0 (resized).jpegAEE66447-7B78-4372-A156-EE501541B8E0 (resized).jpeg
    #17 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

First round of shiny stuff
    [quoted image]

Looking great bud

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-possible-to-over-tumble-metal-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.