(Topic ID: 314402)

Is it possible to mod a Stern Star Trek Pro into a Premium pinball machine?

By tampa12

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by tampa12
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“is it possible to retro fit Star Trek Pro into a Premium Pinball machine?”

• Yes, worth it! 2 votes
    5%
  • NO Fkn WAY! Can't be done 19 votes
    51%
  • Yes, but not worth it. 16 votes
    43%

(37 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D86F553E-E61A-4FE2-816F-D0BC46A10426 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tampa12.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

According to pinball expert Todd Tuckey from TNT amusements a tech can upgrade and retro fit a Star Trek Pro into a Premium pinball machine if boards were added. I think a wire harness is needed, new premium apron to fit laser and kick back too. Is it possible to add the upgrade gadgets from prem to a pro, and if so if I bought Star trek pro for 6k and retro fit into a premium would I save money or lose money since the prem is going for 9k currently. Note: I'm not talking about the cabinet and RGB lights upgrades, only the tech gadgets like laser light show, drain lane kick-back, Vengeance ship upgrades, maybe upgrade metal wire-forms if it's a simple swap out from the plastic ones. if anyone has info if this tech upgrade can be done please share it below, thanks. see here-

#star_trek #star_trek_le
edits: grammar

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

Yep. It's easy:
ebay.com link: itm
ebay.com link: itm

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from pins4u:

Why?
I heard you can convert a VW beetle into a Porsche 911 - can you help me there?

Those are 2 different VW and Porsche. A better analogy would be Ford mustang to Ford mustang GT.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

yup owned both the le and the pro, not worth the trouble whatsoever

if you owned pro and prem Star trek pins, do you recommend Star Trek Pro for $6,500 or prem $8,500k? Premium is hard to find under 8k.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

A Star Trek “Promium”?

LOL Promium. I'm really not going to turn a pro into a prem but I think that would be interesting to see if anyone did that, since Todd Tuckey mentioned that in his video I thought this would make an interesting post. I really hoped to find someone that tried it.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from tomtest:

Here is the video of the laser unit I designed and installed in my Pro that I sold several months ago, it is initiated by the flasher on the Vengenance ship, a timer triggers the time the laser is on and is adjustable, you cannot add the laser unit and have the Pro factory MPU initiate it, the laser parts are in the $300 range + a timer and relay.

WOW, very clever, thanks for sharing. This is what I was curious about if anyone done a prem upgrade. Is it possible to add a kickback?

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from tomtest:

Not sure about the kickback, never looked into it.

After watching your video I'm sold on upgrading.
Fantastic job with the laser show, are they still available? If so can you share the link. Do you live near Tampa FL? I traded my Bride of Pinbot for Star trek for extra 2,500. I plan to upgrade... Premium apron, add kickback, laser, 3 LED mod ships, software premium update, metal wire rails, cliffy ramp protectors, color DMD, beam me up diffusers, shaker, dim backbox led kit and kickback lane curve plate. Might make an interesting video. I have 10+ years tech experience. I'll share the video on this thread when it's complete this summer. Star trek Promium like Mr Tantrum said

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I feel like you're really underestimating the numerous small differences in the game. Like clear inserts vs colored inserts for the RGB lighting. How the premium software is expecting to drive a bunch of RGB leds and how they're wired differently than pro lamps. Luckily this was still when Stern made a manual kinda worth a crap and you can figure out a lot of the differences and might be able to make what you need.

True I agree. I don't expect full transformation but Promium conversion like Mr Tantrum said. Pro goes for about 6500 and premium 8500 so if I can upgrade laser, kickback, color DMD, metal wire rails, 3 LED mod ships, warp ramp LEDs, I estimate the cost about $800 to 900. The biggest challenge is the kickback but laser upgrade was done already as seen posted above. A fun challenge makes for an interesting video.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from tomtest:

Here is the video of the laser unit I designed and installed in my Pro that I sold several months ago, it is initiated by the flasher on the Vengenance ship, a timer triggers the time the laser is on and is adjustable, you cannot add the laser unit and have the Pro factory MPU initiate it, the laser parts are in the $300 range + a timer and relay.

-Can you link where you got the laser and parts, please for the pinball mod community?

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from tomtest:

Quoted from tomtest:

I think I found it and order LASER green low, it's the only laser they had left. http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/star-trek-laser-upgrade-p-40.html
and TIMER / RELAY I found on amazon, please let me know if I ordered the correct stuff- https://amzn.to/3KXC5eV I'm in about $100
Do i need to drill a hole in the apron?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

arcade-cabinets.com

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tampa12.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-possible-to-mod-a-star-trek-pro-into-a-premium-pinball-machine-?tu=tampa12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.