Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by jake35
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I've been thinking of building a pin from the ground up. Rather than inventing a new game I thought I'd investigate building an existing title. Namely, The Addams Family. I figure it will be expensive and time consuming but my question is "Is it worth trying?"

My thoughts are as follows:
Great game - Pro
Can purchase parts over time with out the immediate outlay of $7K to $10K to purchase a complete one. - Pro
Playfield, Plastics and cabinet art are available (for now). - Pro
Translight may be hard to find. - Con
Ramps may be hard to find. - Con
Boards may be hard to find. - Con
Wire isn't cheap. - Con

Thoughts?
Comments?
Snide Remarks?

#2 1 year ago

Buy one working and restore it. Cheaper and less time consuming than trying to start from scratch.
And you will have the same result in the end.
A really really nice TAF.

#3 1 year ago

If you're in it for the adventure, it could be done. If you are patient and resourceful then maybe you can source the unobtanium parts. Speaking from experience having built an AFM from parts.

The parts you're listing aren't the parts that would concern me. Ramps and boards and such are all available AFAIK. Try to search online for some of the weird parts like a bookcase mech or thing mech I would bet they are a rare find.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

If you're in it for the adventure, it could be done. If you are patient and resourceful then maybe you can source the unobtanium parts. Speaking from experience having built an AFM from parts.
The parts you're listing aren't the parts that would concern me. Ramps and boards and such are all available AFAIK. Try to search online for some of the weird parts like a bookcase mech or thing mech I would bet they are a rare find.

The hardest part i've found so far while trying to build my TAF from the ground up are those god damn ball guides. Everything else is out there for the most part. That top playfield metal ball guide is hard to find as well.

So far I've been lucky and got my board set for about $150 ish after wheeling and dealing. The next hard part is the cabinet/light board and the backbox PCB mounting panel. While not rare, just gotta wait for something to pop up I think.

#5 1 year ago

Is it possible?? Yes. Should you do it? Probably not, it’s a massive undertaking and you’d probably spend less money and time restoring one. Good luck either way and have fun

#6 1 year ago

Not to mention it would be a copyright infringement and counterfeit?

#7 1 year ago

Agree with the guys above get one to restore, if you do a high end restore it will be pretty close to building one from scratch.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

If you printed your own translite maybe... but most of those pinball parts are not infringable

#9 1 year ago

There are over 22,000 of them. Be patient - you’ll find one. Took me a while, but I eventually found one.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Only if sold?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from lordloss:

If you printed your own translite maybe... but most of those pinball parts are not infringable

Quoted from chad:

Only if sold?

I think making a whole machine that didn’t exist prior would be a copyright infringement, regardless of parts availability. Only if sold.....good question. I would say not, copyright infringement regardless......see the case examples of people downloading “free” music.....yeah they went after those offering the supply, but the downloaders were also breaking the law.

However....if the machine had just one “original” part from a machine that was parted out and thus destroyed.....might make a case there. But only if one new machine became into existence from the parted out machine? Idk I know just enough law to be dangerous.....not a lawyer.

#12 1 year ago

Just from what others have said in building their own MM the end cost was equal or more especially if you include time. So could it be done....yes. Can you do it for less than what you can buy one......probably not.

#13 1 year ago

Excellent inputs all. As I've looked around for parts (since yesterday), it is become evident that it may not be a "fun" endeavor. Restoration now seems like a better option.

Any tips on finding a project TAF machine to restore? The TAFs listed on pinside.com are all in pretty good shape. Craigslist in my area is a crapshoot.

Thanks again for all the great feedback!

#14 1 year ago

It would probably take about $15k to build from parts, judging from other similar projects, and my own parts price list I started for an AFM.

Quoted from Walamab:

Any tips on finding a project TAF machine to restore?

Just keep hunting. It took me about 4 years to find the right project/deal. Also try putting up a WTB ad in the marketplace.

WPC projects are hard to find these days. Demand is high, and supply is low.

#15 1 year ago

Of course its possible to build one, they made over 20,000 of them. Can you do it, that's a different question.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Quoted from chad:

Only if sold?

No and no.

#17 1 year ago

someone did it with a MM back before they were available again and it ended up costing more than it would of to just pay the outrageous price they were going for at the time.

#18 1 year ago

I'd actually love to see someone do this... make their own "TAFr". No original parts tho (like taken from a parted TAF). Use as much original williams-style stuff as you want, repro PF, plastics, the works... but recreate what you can't find (lane guides, etc) and then make it work off of PROC instead of WPC. LCD display. RGB inserts and GI. All teh classic feel with modern tech. That would be pretty rad, IMO.

#19 1 year ago

I feel that the remakes have been preempted by the pinball community's willingness to do it themselves. It's a heck of a market indicator.

#20 1 year ago

I personally built an MM from parts and it cost me about $6800 total and it looks like a brand new original MM. So my answer to your question is of course you can do it. the problem you may run into is that there might be certain ball guides or oddball parts that you cant find and you will need to fabricate them. Also, I would suggest starting with a similar game as a doner(maybe a roached T2 or something), that way you have a lot of the cabinet wiring, transformer, maybe some circuit boards etc. You could even use the donor cabinet and just completely overhaul it if its structurally sound. I have actually considered building an Addams this way but im not sure I want to do another project like this...

6 months later
#21 8 months ago

Hello all I would say GO FOR IT!!
It is totally worth it ,because in the end you will have a brand new game ,don’t worry about time spending because in the bottom line you are learning new skills how to make something from scratch .
Since 2016 I have build Twilight zone,Tales of the arabian nights and now Addams family gold.
In regards for the wiring you can remake it with the exsact color code just find a game wiring from wpc 89 or 95.
Any part I can’t find second hand I remake it ,and if I’m lucky to find used ones on eBay that works even better.
If you build your own game it will cost you less money plus it is a legacy to pass on to your family since it will be much more appreciated because you give it life !!
If you need help here I am knowledge is free as long as you use it for good cause .
Jimakost

image (resized).jpg
#22 8 months ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

lol, you really are serious aren't you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside