(Topic ID: 99285)

Is it possible: Connecting a LED/Flasher to a Magnet board/activation?

By Edenecho

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Edenecho
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have had this idea brewing in my membrane some months now.
On Goldeneye, at certain times the ball is saved by a magnet just between / under the flippers when it is about to drain. Yes, the famous crotch-rot. The game itself gives noe indication through DMD, sound, or lights that the ball is being saved except for the magnet humming.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience when it comes to connecting a LED light(bulb, flasher or strip) to the magnet controller board somehow, so when the magnet is activated, it also activates a LED light? This to create a more effect.

I am quite new to modding so I thought Id ask the wise men of Pinside for some initial ideas

Cheers,
Morten

#2 9 years ago

Hi Morten,

If memory serves me, does not the shoot again light activate when the magnet grabs the ball?
If so, then a 6.3 V extension, in the form of a strip could be placed in the outhole to go with this.
If not, Others will post help too, to tie off magnet....

#3 9 years ago

Use a reed switch.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8642

GI~ -----> Reed Switch -----> LED Bulb -----> GI~

Solder a wire from one side of the wiring GI to one side of the reed switch. Solder the other side of the reed switch to one side of an LED bulb (preferably an AC/GI bulb) then solder the other end of the bulb to the other side of the GI wiring. (You can just tap off a GI bulb somewhere near the magnet).

Zip tie the reed switch to the magnet. Each time the magnet fires, the reed switch will close and that will complete the circuit, lighting the bulb.

If you want to get really fancy you can buy a PIG II from www.dkpinball.com and make the light fade, pulse, blink, flash, blow a horn, whatever. But it's a bit expensive for a single mod.

#4 9 years ago

This game really needs to let you know the magnet is active somehow

I was thinking of doing the same thing myself but never got round to it

1 year later
#5 8 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

Use a reed switch.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8642
GI~ -----> Reed Switch -----> LED Bulb -----> GI~
Solder a wire from one side of the wiring GI to one side of the reed switch. Solder the other side of the reed switch to one side of an LED bulb (preferably an AC/GI bulb) then solder the other end of the bulb to the other side of the GI wiring. (You can just tap off a GI bulb somewhere near the magnet).
Zip tie the reed switch to the magnet. Each time the magnet fires, the reed switch will close and that will complete the circuit, lighting the bulb.
If you want to get really fancy you can buy a PIG II from http://www.dkpinball.com and make the light fade, pulse, blink, flash, blow a horn, whatever. But it's a bit expensive for a single mod.

So, better late than never, just ordered some reed switches. Will see if I can get to test out this when they arrive =)
Will update in this thread,

#6 8 years ago

I don't understand. The magnet doesn't sit there active while the ball is bouncing around the playfield. The magnet senses the ball and activates all at once. It's like the Metallica magnet. The light would come on only when the ball is being saved. Isn't it obvious enough that the ball is being saved since it gets flinged up and doesn't drain? You need a light to come on at that moment also?

#7 8 years ago

I know its there. I just observed that many players dont register it and turns around in anger cause they think it drains. So in additional to suggesting anger management its a small minor fix which will be fun testing.

bedides its a feature which im sure would be accompanied by sound and lights on a modern stern. So what the heck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet Parts
Gameroom Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-possible-connecting-a-ledflasher-to-a-magnet-boardactivation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.