Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chrisbee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've been fixing up my Bally Loop the Loop and noticed that one of the flipper coils would get pretty hot after playing the machine. I checked it with my dmm and it read 5.6 ohms across all the lugs without change, the other coil read 4.1 on the pull coil and 14.5 on the hold coil (I get a reading of 18.2 for the combined resistance), clearly the first coil was bad. I didn't have any spare coils lying around but I did have several other machines in various states of repair/disrepair, so I decided to try and salvage some flipper coils from them. After some trial and error (and a lot of hands on learning) I ended up using a coil from a Bally Captain Fantastic.

Here are the numbers.
Original coil: 4.1 for the pull, 18.2 for the hold
New coil: 1.3 for the pull, 17.6 for the hold

The new flipper has a bit more kick than the old one, it arcs a little bit more than the other one at the EOS switch, and I can hold the flipper up and it does not heat up.
So, the new one has a bit more juice going through it, when the new flipper is activated, the lights flicker for a split second. Is there anything wrong with this setup? Should I worry about added strain on the transformer or any grounding issues? Could/Should a capacitor or diode(s) be added to the flipper setup?
Personally I like the added power to the flipper, I am mostly worried about safety issues with this setup.
Any advice or knowledge would be great.
Thanks for reading

#2 9 years ago

For me, it would be un-fun to play a game with uneven flippers. Don't think there will be any issues using your "New Coil", but would be nice if they matched left and right. Make sure you have the correct fuse in for the coil circuit then if you draw to much current the fuse should protect everything.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-ok-to-use-these-flipper-coils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.