Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 173 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by KingHebes
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is it OK to level games on location?”

• Yes 104 votes
      40%
    • No 144 votes
      55%
    • Other 13 votes
      5%

(261 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

leg_leveler_heavy_duty (resized).jpg
    armytrainingsir (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

... and 4 of us are kissing cousins

*Looking up length of drive to Oklahoma*

Ping!

What these threads honestly tell us the most, is how many ops there are out there; which is great.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

*Looking up length of drive to Oklahoma*

Ping!
    What these threads honestly tell us the most, is how many ops there are out there; which is great.

We’re the OG’s of pinball collecting!

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Do you clean the dirty taps at the bar, restock the urinal cake in the pisser? No

No, but I go get a wet and a dry paper towel to clean the little shelf where we set our drinks. Don't want T's hand to get dirty.

#54 5 years ago

I'm going to side with no... It's up to the op to decide how they want it set up.

#55 5 years ago

I get the arguments against leveling games on location, but goddamn sometimes it's so bad that it would be impossible to make it worse. I have on occasion gotten on my hands and knees and leveled a game. It has to be pretty bad though.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

I have on occasion gotten on my hands and knees

have you met my friend?

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/bangerjay

#57 5 years ago

Anymore I play very few pins on route that need to be leveled. There is 1 place I play out of town that has all of the new sterns but they aren’t well taken care of. I only go for the antique Weller for ~$10 a pour and great burgers or dogs. The last time I was there GOTG was literally on 3 legs. I did what I could to at least get it stable between adjusting the levelers and adding some napkins.
    As long as a pin is stable I will adapt my playing style to how the pin is sitting.

#58 5 years ago

If it's really bad, I'll adjust it and if the glass is really dirty, I'll clean it. If I can tell the machine is from an operator who takes care of there stuff, then I probably won't mess with it and just tell the location. There's a lot of places out there that don't touch or maintain they're machines at all. In those kind of places you are only helping them, because they don't know any better.

#59 5 years ago

Depends on how badly unlevel the game is. I was at Blainebrook recently and the Metallica was horribly unlevel. After a few drinks my give a shit really goes away and I couldn't help but fix the damn thing. I'm very meticulous when it comes to my games and if a light bulb is out it will drive me nuts. So playing on location is tough for me. But if its a simple thing like throwing a coaster folded up under a leg to help out? I'm going to do so. Metallica is too good to be unlevel.

#60 5 years ago

I'm an operator, I do it for my operator customers and occasionally for other operators out of habit.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from PrinzFred:

I would also have people tell me the game was not level, because of the slope "bubble" was not in the middle and try to adjust legs up or down with coasters. Very annoying to have people moving a pinball machine worth thousands of $$!

I've had someone do this and it made the game super wobbly, kind of pissed me off. I started taking those bubble levels out of my games after that, since I prefer getting at or around 7 degrees.

on the other hand I have been tempted to fix other ops games, but then concluded its not my business and stopped going to that location.

The main thing is it's a liability, whether you get hurt some how or you break the game, chances are it won't be right anyway.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Since I’m in a battle of words with a bad ass, I’m going to just tap out now before I get hurt.

Smart move, Sir.

#63 5 years ago

Not of it's too steep our not steep enough to my liking, or it's a little too the left or right.
    I do however help when it's so unlevel the operator can't possibly be happy with it , and the game would get damage sooner because the game mostly rests on only 3 legs.

6 months later
    #64 4 years ago

How about those rubber feet that go under the legs to prevent them from being slid? I've thought they would be good on location to keep them in place, i figure most level issues arise from slide saves or death saves. I host a tournament at a location and i do level the front legs from time to time because the techs do not even play pinball so they don't get it. I had to diagnose star wars' bad opto sensor on the hoth shot recently, he was ready to pull the game from location and replace a board.. Im like dude its probably just this opto sensor. Game works fine now

#65 4 years ago

At a show, no. At a bar, put a couple of those paper bar coasters under the low leg. Just don't bump the cabinet into anything while doing it.

#66 4 years ago

At SFGE this year I had someone constantly adjusting Spaceballs, and they were intentionally leaning it to the right, a lot. I adjusted it back 3 or 4 times then just gave up.

Was also amazed at the number of people that think it's ok to power cycle someone else's game at a show.

#67 4 years ago

I’ve done it a a handful of times and it was to simply put the front on the game on my knee and give one leg leveler a few turns one way or the other.

There was exactly one instance where i got under the game and messed with the back legs. It was an Addams family where all 4 legs were so bad that it was impossible for all 4 to be touching the ground at once.

#68 4 years ago

At ReplayFX yesterday, there was a Cyclone that was insanely out of level. It had an out of order sign that said, "whomever leveled this, is a moron". A bit extreme, but the next time I went past it, it was leveled.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Was also amazed at the number of people that think it's ok to power cycle someone else's game at a show.

Do you know why they were doing it?

#70 4 years ago

My league location is a place that cares about the silver ball, and they have as many or more pins than vids. There's a logbook of pinball issues you can report and they get fixed.
    As a photographer who sometimes plays pinball, I might carry a camera tripod hotshoe with a small bubble stick (like in a straight edge) that I can set on the glass near the lockdown bar if I suspect a table is off level.
    As for trying to level games myself, probably not, at least where the games are cared for, and if they're not they're probably unplayable for other reasons.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Saw this so many times it pissed me off. Actually asked one guy if it belong to him. He said no and i told him to leave someone elses shit alone. He actually got upset and went to another game.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Do you know why they were doing it?

Not sure. Usually a problem I guess? I saw it several times where it was because a ball was stuck and the people thought power cycling might help or something?

#73 4 years ago

Oh i meant power cycling. Now that I think of it, it was probably because of Jackwagons pumping 4 player games.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh i meant power cycling. Now that I think of it, it was probably because of Jackwagons pumping 4 player games.

Hah I just realized that and edited my post. Could have been because of 4 player games for sure, but most games have the "hold start for reset" function right?

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cruster:

Go for it. I have people “level” my games on location all the time. Usually some combination of back legs jacked all the way down, front jacked all the way up, leaning hard to left or right... Id love it if they actually were lvld correctly when i get to my locations

You are supposed to level a game from the playfield. So people are leveling other peoples games from the glass?

#76 4 years ago

I’ll level a game on location if it is bad enough, because I am paying money and I want the full experience. I’ll complain to management if the pitch is off. Won’t adjust any show games or those in private collections.

Pinball is built for public play. Someone adjusting a leg leveler shouldn't rise to same level of offense as assault and battery. Can’t be worried about whether leveling the occasional pin is right or not. I’ll continue doing it until shot dead, and then God can judge me.

#77 4 years ago

No touchy-touchy of others machines.

#78 4 years ago

i fix that shit if i wanna play the game.

#79 4 years ago

I hate it when OPs don't level machines correctly on purpose to try to compensate for some defect, like a scoop that tends to shoot SDTM, or because the game plays too long.

#80 4 years ago

To actually change the leveling, that is wrong. If the machine rocks and you are just making it steady, then that is fine. It is just about impossible to play a game that is rocking on you.

#81 4 years ago

I don't know how off level a machine would have to be to get me to crawl under it at a bar.

#82 4 years ago

Level that sob!

#83 4 years ago

My games on location would never be so far out of level side-to-side that anyone would try to fix them in that direction. And if they were, please do fix it!

But, I removed all the bubble levels because occasionally someone would come jack up the front legs to center the bubble, and then it would play slow, flat, and terribly. Dear person: you've made it worse and are not the People's Hero. I've seen someone walk up to a game, look at the bubble level, and then say to their friend "this isn't level" as a way to brag.

PSA: YOU CANNOT TRUST THE BUBBLE LEVEL. If you center the bubble on most NIB games, your game is now way below the pitch at which it was designed for.

Anyway, I have steepened games on location that were unbearably flat. I justify it by telling myself that the operator set it up correctly but some other person came in, looked at the bubble level, and made a stupid adjustment on their own.

#84 4 years ago

I've be doing that since I first hit the arcades in the mid 70's.

I don't mind doing the arcade owners job that should have been done during initial set up.

I just do the side to side levelers though mostly. Unless there is no pitch at all on the game then that's another matter.

I use the matchbook cover trick instead of adjusting the levelers most times though.

#85 4 years ago

I've leveled a game on location more than once. When a game is leaning left or right significantly, it can usually be improved with a couple twists (if it's not rusted up). I'm not going more than that because it's not worth my time, but I also do not trust any of the operators around here to know what level means when they don't even know what a software update is.

As far as power cycling goes... I'm also surprised by the "hands off" advice. I power cycled Skateball on Saturday at ReplayFX. The game was in a Tilt state and wouldn't resolve because the ball was trapped under the upper flipper. The flipper can't be moved because it's in Tilt, so the ball will not reach the drain. I power cycled the game, started a new game, raised the flipper and skillfully nudged the ball out from being stuck.

#86 4 years ago

Do it all the time, guys throw our games around a lot on location.
    Almost every week a game needs an adjustment.
    We have our tilts set up to discourage it mostly.
    But when they lose a ball they rage tilt anyway (losers) Lol.
    Sometimes moving a game just an inch or two is enough to throw off the side to side movement of the ball.

Owners are always told before hand, usually don't care cause they are busy already.

#87 4 years ago

Do not adjust another man's game. Just like in golf "play it as it lies".

#88 4 years ago

If it’s the front legs that need adjusting then yes I will level them. If it’s the back legs then I call or leave a note for the op.
    Also want to tank who ever leveled my game at the York show last year. It was a bit wobbly but had to leave. Came back and the game was spot on level.

#89 4 years ago

Leg levelers should be locked down with the nut so that that game can't be messed with or go out of level. I'm amazed how many ops don't do this.

To all the ops out there, especially if your games are on a hard surface, YOU HAVE TO LOCK DOWN THE LEG LEVELERS WITH THE NUTS. If you don't, the games go out of level when they are shoved around. The levelers spin when the game is shoved. Try it and watch.

I lock down all my games tight. I have never, NEVER had to go back and readjust a game due to it being shoved around. Only time I've ever had to readjust is when I blew it when setting up the game and didn't get it level.

#90 4 years ago

I'm an operator.

Do not adjust leg levelers - it's not your fucking machine.

Something not to your liking? Report it, play another machine, go somewhere else, or buy your own. Those are your options.

Some other things I wish "helpful" people would stop doing:
    Turning off the power - that just delays a fix because I won't know about it
    Power cycling - it can damage the machine
    Putting tape or handmade signs on a machine you think is broken - this just delays a fix because again I won't know about it
    Physically lifting up the machine or nudging so hard the machine moves from where its legs are - now I have to RELEVEL it, yes one inch to the left makes a difference on a worn wood floor

This should be common sense, people.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

...or nudging so hard the machine moves from where its legs are....

Make your fucking tilt tighter

#92 4 years ago

Do you put a napkin under a wobbly table at a restaurant? I sure as shit do.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

At SFGE this year I had someone constantly adjusting Spaceballs, and they were intentionally leaning it to the right, a lot. I adjusted it back 3 or 4 times then just gave up.

Someone stole one of my leveling feet at TPF. I saw people playing the game the whole show, so I assumed nothing was wrong with it. That was until we took it apart and found one of the feet missing. So they took the leg leveler off and releveled the machine somewhat so it wasn't teetering.
    It's stuff like that, that makes me not want to take anymore games to shows for public play.

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

Someone stole one of my leveling feet at TPF. I saw people playing the game the whole show, so I assumed nothing was wrong with it. That was until we took it apart and found one of the feet missing. So they took the leg leveler off and releveled the machine somewhat so it wasn't teetering.
    It's stuff like that, that makes me not want to take anymore games to shows for public play.

unreal! Seems like a lot of work for a few dollar part. People are so fucked!

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

Power cycling - it can damage the machine

Since when can power cycling damage a pinball machine?

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

Since when can power cycling damage a pinball machine?

Can happen. Especially at power up is when things can happen.

On my original AFM I had a customer win a bunch of games and went to cancel them off. Started the games. Turned the game off. Turned it back on. Blew a few fuses.

I prefer that my customers leave me do anything that needs doing. Then I won't blame them.

LTG : )

#97 4 years ago

Gotta be honest... I'm firmly in the "don't touch my stuff" camp.
    That said; I have been known to be so exhausted or constrained for time after setting up my machines at TPF (I bring them all - at least 5 machines) ... that I simply forget to check for levelness. Usually; I do play at least one game after setting them up and if there is a gross level issue I fix it.
    That said; I would really be ok with an attendee taking matters into their own hands - so to speak.
    As long as the Attendee is willing to take the risk of liability. That is if they damage the machine; they have some 'splainin' to do.
    That said; its just wiser to leave me a post-it-note... or tap me on the shoulder.

That said; Turning off a malfunctioning game is the only "real" way to let the owner know it's broken beyond use. IE a stuck ball which prevent continuing game play... or non-functioning flippers. I check on my machines regularly; but do not play them. An "off" machine is the only way I know for sure there is an issue.

#98 4 years ago

Put a sugar packet underneath it
    Lol

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

Turning off the power - that just delays a fix because I won't know about it

Personally I'd rather the patron turn the power off, at least then I'd know something is wrong with a particular machine. When staff doesn't report it, it can get frustrating. I usually rely pretty heavily on payouts and regulars.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

Personally I'd rather the patron turn the power off, at least then I'd know something is wrong with a particular machine. When staff doesn't report it, it can get frustrating. I usually rely pretty heavily on payouts and regulars.

Yep, me too.

I'd rather have the game off and I don't know about it, than have it turned on and stealing quarters from people as an unplayable game. The latter is much worse for your reputation and customer service.

There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-ok-to-level-games-on-location/page/2?hl=ryanbrooks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.