(Topic ID: 212796)

Is it normal to have a new PF have planking?

By Fordiesel69

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

34ed96fb656ea5a36243adc9f1a57cc1bf0a6f45-1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2549 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2548 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2547 (resized).JPG
    hurry-up-and-take-my-money (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 9.59.33 PM (resized).png
    business (resized).jpg
    0321181916 (resized).jpg
    0321181911b (resized).jpg
    FC038599-349B-413C-8A9D-AB62E4625B78 (resized).jpeg
    20180321_185910 (resized).jpg
    20180321_185918 (resized).jpg
    05474974-7A16-4216-BDF5-53DBBE57D050 (resized).jpeg
    1D861FE4-B8CD-4F29-BECD-0DEC5239D817 (resized).jpeg
    494919F2-C59E-4E04-AE83-1054B5E9C2A2 (resized).jpeg
    A54AF87C-B423-4D84-B5BE-312C74EEEF47 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#211 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

If mirco would just make sure they used the better clearcoat method they used to use that NEVER had chipping problems, they would be the perfect vendor to supply these. The ones they did for Houdini are beautiful, and so far no chipping, so maybe AP paid more for a better CC process?

Mirco had issues with clear chipping a while ago, too. In earlier times the clear was simply laid on too thick, so bits of it got smashed off by ball impacts, where there was a profile. This was mainly apparent in the shooter lane and ball drain. That was solved when they started using thinner coats. But now there is significantly more pressure to produce serious volume, and quickly, than there was. So inadequate curing time is no doubt a problem, and the probable cause of current chipping on DI.

Generally, they are a lot better than Churchill (CGC / Stern), I would agree.

The craptastic 'FUN' pfs that Stern used when trying to move away from Churchill were an industry low.

I don't know who Spooky's supplier is, but looking at my RZ, and reading about other people's Spooky produced machines, they're likely to be a lot more durable due to wood that's obviously drier than Churchill's, and a clear that's *not* 'automotive' - i.e. gloss, shiny, thick and brittle. It's more like the old Diamond Plate. Hopefully they kept it that way on TNA & ACNC?

IMO the best playfields made at the moment are the B&T Automaten ones, since they use better wood, and whilst they use an automotive clear, they leave more than adequate curing time both between coats, and afterwards before shipping. However I doubt any manufacturer is going to use them as a supplier, because it would inevitably cost more than they'd be willing to pay, and lead times would be longer than desired.

CPR, from the couple I've seen, and stories I've heard, are hugely variable, but generally quite poor - and certainly no better than Churchill.

#213 6 years ago

I highly doubt that is not one of the early run pre-Mirco pfs - i.e. before December '13.

I've never seen a heavily ribbed or planked Mirco pf ... or indeed one with any at all.

But thanks for the image, Jody.

#216 6 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

The irony is my point was that is not planking never has been never will be. Seeing the grain at an angle with the proper lighting is not planking splitting or racing of the wood grain is planking.

It is not normal to look like that. My WOZ pf certainly doesn't, nor does anything else. All you can see are a bunch of micro scratches in the clear.

The only machine I have that looks like that is my JP's cabinet, albeit you hardly need light at the right angle to see that on the JP.

#220 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

My early run WOZ (August 2013), LOTR and Fishtales all have this. No unusual wear patterns otherwise.
    A little gentle ribbing never hurt anyone.

You appear to have 44 pins. 3/44 would tend to suggest it's pretty abnormal ... and the pre-December '13 pfs for WOZ were considered to be quite problematic - hence the switch to Mirco. I'd be very surprised if you found any Mirco ones like that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-normal-to-have-a-new-pf-have-planking?tu=rubberducks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.