(Topic ID: 212796)

Is it normal to have a new PF have planking?

By Fordiesel69

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

34ed96fb656ea5a36243adc9f1a57cc1bf0a6f45-1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2549 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2548 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2547 (resized).JPG
    hurry-up-and-take-my-money (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 9.59.33 PM (resized).png
    business (resized).jpg
    0321181916 (resized).jpg
    0321181911b (resized).jpg
    FC038599-349B-413C-8A9D-AB62E4625B78 (resized).jpeg
    20180321_185910 (resized).jpg
    20180321_185918 (resized).jpg
    05474974-7A16-4216-BDF5-53DBBE57D050 (resized).jpeg
    1D861FE4-B8CD-4F29-BECD-0DEC5239D817 (resized).jpeg
    494919F2-C59E-4E04-AE83-1054B5E9C2A2 (resized).jpeg
    A54AF87C-B423-4D84-B5BE-312C74EEEF47 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Cpr playfield. You can see the grain through the clear. In fact, you can see the veneer seams prominently as well. This one was sanded and recleared.

That looks like ribbing on your new stern playfield.

It shouldnt affect game play, clearcoat is pretty hard stuff, but it might collect dirt like ball tracking.
    I would try to buff down the worst parts and lay down some wax on it if you cant get a resolution.
    It might be ok after that.

Not all commercial playfields are perfect but mostly they wear ok and settle down after a couple thousand plays.

Framed wall art is another story.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Onwallst:

Yeah my worse luck was CGC AFMr it was planking not ribbing.

Did you send in a ticket or contact the distributor?

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Here we go again. Can we just wait a few days and let stern update their manuals to say planking is normal on pfs next to the ghosting is normal text.

I think ghosting is a problem as the clear hasnt bonded to the inserts. It will ultimately shatter and crater off.
    I would replace the playfield for ghosting.

For ribbing, you never know it could shrink down after awhile with the ball rolling on it. My car clear took a year to finally cure to rock hard.

#51 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I was told that the ghosting and chipping is mostly due to the clearcoat being too hot (of a reaction for the curing), and that using slower cure gives better results. They're using fast clear curing and it's causing the chipping and ghosting problems seen in the last 4 or 5 years.

Ghosting is usually from not using a matching adhesion promoter or improper surface prep like allowing oil or wax or mold release agent as a containment when the inserts were made or installed.

Its true that a slow cure might eat off the contaminant and raise it to the surface and adhere well enough. But it might take months to harden fully.

In that case you couldnt put the game into service right away.

So it is what it is these days.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

So people are complaining that wood looks like...wood? I hope vid1900 will share his opinion here.

Im not entirely sure that automotive clear is appropriate to apply on a sheet of plywood ever. But thats what we are attempting with fair to acceptable results over time.

My auto body shop said I was nuts when I had them clear a playboy for me.
    I told them not to worry, I would assume all liability in writing.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

I cannot believe Stern even let a playfield that bad out of the factory....let alone populating it and putting it in your game. I feel for you, and therein lies the basis of my policy of not buying any new Stern games anymore. My Houdini looks awesome and I look forward to more of their games being in my collection as time goes on.

I saw a few rough patches on the GOTG games at TPF this year.
    None of it affected game play and with the constant playing going on they seemed to hold up normally with no abnormal wear or dirt accumulation.

So I think its a non-issue for the most part.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

Is anyone actually making collector games?

Chris and a few others:

http://www.highendpins.com/

But with any type of a collectible be prepared to pay up.
    Otherwise assume that your game is standard from the manufacturers, or a regular to good example.

#108 6 years ago

So should people now buy Paint Thickness Gauges to determine the thickness of the clearcoat on their games within a +/- of x amount of microns, over say 100 small areas?

"My Clearcoat of off by 20 microns" the horror!

Give it a rest people.

Its a pinball machine not a Lambo.

This is getting ridiculous

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I still feel pretty bad for the guys who took one on the chin from CGC. That was just plain wrong.

If it even happened...?

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from Onwallst:

That said stern does fully honor warranty and replaces with a populated playfeild unlike CGC.

This is not true at all. Very few populated playfields have been issued by anyone to anyone.
    It is very individualised as far as service as its a very expensive option.

But then very few games have needed this drastic of a repair.

However insert ghosting will get you a replacement playfield in all cases, from all manufactureres, just ask them or send in a ticket.

The Distributor will help with installing the replacement playfield in most cases, if they are worth their business.
    Most distributors really want your repeat business and will work hard to insure it.
    The distributors generally handle the warranty work issues for you as part of their agreement with manufactureres, much like car dealers.

A car manufacturer will not send you a replacement car if the paint has lifting or bubbling issues.

The statement "unlike CGC" is complete hogwash.

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

CGC distributors are apparently handcuffed by CGC. It is fairly well documented in the AFMr Owners thread.

The distributors I talked to will do whatever work is needed on their end as required by the manufacturer.

If you contact the manufacturer they will ask you if you talked to the distributor on whatever issue you have first.

If the distributor is a piece of crap, and will do nothing to help you after the sale, then the manufacturer will try to help you out if you have a little patience.

We will all know if the distributer isn't worth dealing with on this forum

As far as Onwallst issues with his game, Im skepitcal if it ever happened at all. He has not shown any proof that his distributor wouldn't help him out or that he even sent in a ticket to CGC to get any resolution at all.

If his distributer wouldnt help him on a new game, I would like to know who it was and never deal with them.
    CGC does not sell direct.

He could have gotten a replacement playfield blank any time he wanted, just send in a ticket.
    I would very much like to see a capture of the ticket he sent in, if he even did it at all.

The issues that were fully documented have all gone up in smoke under even the slightest scrutiny.

So Im skeptical that any of the issues mentioned in that thread ever happened at all, and might just be mindless trolling.

So again, a lot of all of that was just hogwash in my view of it.

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

By your statement here, you obviously have no idea what your talking about and you obviously did not read the AFMr Owners Thread. He posted his ticket number! Why is that you guys continuesly post BS on this site about that issue. If you really want to be informed on what really happened, try reading the thread, learning how to read or PMing him before posting false staements.

I dont know of any distributor worth dealing with that wouldnt resolve any issue I might have and I have had plenty.

I have great empathy towards guys that have been screwed by distributors. It happens.

But this is not an entirely accurate reflection of a manufacturer.

There will be several once in a lifetime problems that are hard to resolve, but generally can be in time.

CGC doesnt deal direct unless they have to intervene due to a bad distributor. Its amazing that they as well as others have even attempted to deal with the public! Im not sure that I would.

Not too long ago NO manufacturer of any item would ever "deal direct" and refer all calls to a distributor nearest to you. End of story. It was considered the distributors job to handle the public.

If the distributor is a bad guy it will become well known and documented and they might lose the business of a manufacturer.

If you dont know who's who, ask on pinside and everyone will chime in on the good, bad, or ugly.

In my experience all problems and issues can and will be resolved with a little good will and a willingness to compromise by both parties involved.

I have been in business a long time and nearly all issues that have come across my desk have had positive outcomes.

However nothing is perfect, nor should I think it would be.

#151 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

The world must be a wonderful place when looking through those CGC Diffuser glasses.

Stern, JJP, CGC, I dont have any favorites or any favoritism intended.

I have dealt with all of them.

I think for the most part they all do a pretty good job in a pretty rough world.

Dont get me wrong, I sympathize with the 1 in 1000 or 1 in 1500 guys that have serious problems but, again its unfair to make it seem that 100% of all transactions are troublesome or bad.

This would be from any manufacturer be it a pinball machine or a any consumer level item.

2 weeks later
    #221 6 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

thousands of other pinball playfields

Maybe not thousands...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-normal-to-have-a-new-pf-have-planking?tu=pinballinreno and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.