(Topic ID: 212796)

Is it normal to have a new PF have planking?

By Fordiesel69

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

34ed96fb656ea5a36243adc9f1a57cc1bf0a6f45-1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2549 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2548 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2547 (resized).JPG
    hurry-up-and-take-my-money (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 9.59.33 PM (resized).png
    business (resized).jpg
    0321181916 (resized).jpg
    0321181911b (resized).jpg
    FC038599-349B-413C-8A9D-AB62E4625B78 (resized).jpeg
    20180321_185910 (resized).jpg
    20180321_185918 (resized).jpg
    05474974-7A16-4216-BDF5-53DBBE57D050 (resized).jpeg
    1D861FE4-B8CD-4F29-BECD-0DEC5239D817 (resized).jpeg
    494919F2-C59E-4E04-AE83-1054B5E9C2A2 (resized).jpeg
    A54AF87C-B423-4D84-B5BE-312C74EEEF47 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#78 6 years ago

I have a Fish Tales that has what looks like ribbing. Good news is, other than the ribbed look when viewed at just the right angle, the playfield hasn't worn abnormally after 25 years.

Also have an LOTR with slight ribbing on the playfield, again, no abnormal wear.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Maybe, maybe not.
    This one seems to have failed to capture pinside’s imagination like the ghosting and cab separation epics.
    It’s almost as if it’s not a real problem, or something.

Yep, I've seen enough games with ribbing to consider it within production tolerances. It will probably lower the value of a game to some collectors but I haven't seen a problem with unusual wear.

It would be interesting to see if there is a difference in wear on new games that have the ribbing versus those that don't.

If anything, I would think if the ribbing is due to more grain in the wood, it might help the clear adhere to the surface better.

#165 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

All playfields should be top notch quality period. The playfield is the main part of a pinball machine that should never ever be compromised when it comes to quality.

What do you consider "top notch quality"? Is it realistic to expect zero variation in production? If some variation in production is normal, what is acceptable?

Manufacturers usually hold there suppliers to certain standards that for pinball probably includes some level of ribbing, dimpling and chipping, because you see these things on playfields from the big manufacturers.

Problem is, no where is it stated to what degree these defects become unacceptable. In their defense, it seems like it would be difficult to put a hard specification on these types of issues.

My first NIB experience was an early WOZ. It had some ribbing on the playfield and the top of the back edge of the lower cabinet was shredded, like from a dull saw blade. I didn't think these defects were bad enough for JJP to toss the playfield and cabinet out, so chalked it up to unfortunate but acceptable levels of production variation.

I learned that if those kinds of things bother me, better not to buy anything sight unseen in the future.

TL:dr
    Some variations in playfield and overall game quality is normal. Don't buy sight unseen if you're concerned with imperfections.

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The question everyone should be asking is where do Spooky have their playfields made?
    At the moment their playfields are way ahead of anyone else.

Their playfields may be better. It may also be that they don't get as many airballs, have as many exposed wood edges, have balls being shot out of kickers, etc.

I'm not familiar enough with their games to make a comparison.

#187 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

The other thing is, i seen these imperfections immediately out of the box so why didn’t the playfield inspector or inspectors? I would think that these games get looked at more than once to ensure quality before being shipped out. I realize that everything doesnt get caught but i feel that there may be too many things that arent being caught. Its either that or its workers that dont care maybe or someone in management saying......ship it! Ive worked in manufacturing for 34 years so i know how things work and believe me, ive seen some stuff that just makes me shake my head.

I don't think I stated my point very well, let me try again. I work in an industry where we make products and guarantee their performance.

We will charge one price to guarantee a product works from say 7 to 10. Most parts will work from 9 to 10 but a 7 will pop up sometimes, maybe even a batch of them. If a customer wants guaranteed performance from 9 to 10 they have to pay more. Sure, everyone wants to get a 9 or 10 and pay the price for a 7 but it's the luck of the draw.

To me, getting a game with ribbing is like getting a 7 to 8, depending on how bad it is.

#190 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I am just saying that all playfields should be a 9 or a 10 because we are paying alot of money for these games, even the pro models and they just keep going up and up in price.

Yes, these games cost a lot of money but if the current standard gets raised, someone has to eat the cost of the rejected playfields.

Do you think the manufacturer or the supplier wants to cut into their profit margins, unless someone stops buying?

I think LEs should come with flawless playfields. Of course that means better QC, storing separate stock and risking a supply shortage if they don't get enough yield to the higher standard to meet demand.

Nothing is free though and I expect they would try to pass these costs on to us. They could use it as a selling feature and the collector LE buyers might go for it.

#195 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

We as customers are not asking for a rise in playfield quality though and thats the part that you are missing.

I guess we just see things differently.

I maintain that if you look closely, you will be surprised at how many games have playfields with ribbing. The playfields I have with ribbing do not wear more than those without, so it hasn't been a problem other than cosmetic.

Asking a manufacturer to throw away all those playfields is asking for a rise in quality.

#196 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I know and there are people that get paid good money to figure issues like this out. Im also confident that it will get figured out in time and this problem will be a thing of the past.

We agree , but what should the manufacturers do until that happens? I guess they could shut down all production.

Otherwise, for now it's the new normal, live with it, protect your machines accordingly (chipping) or stop buying until they figure it out. Just my opinions, of course.

2 weeks later
    #219 6 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

It is not normal to look like that. My WOZ pf certainly doesn't, nor does anything else. All you can see are a bunch of micro scratches in the clear.
    The only machine I have that looks like that is my JP's cabinet, albeit you hardly need light at the right angle to see that on the JP.

My early run WOZ (August 2013), LOTR and Fishtales all have this. No unusual wear patterns otherwise.

A little gentle ribbing never hurt anyone.

#223 6 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

You appear to have 44 pins. 3/44 would tend to suggest it's pretty abnormal ... and the pre-December '13 pfs for WOZ were considered to be quite problematic - hence the switch to Mirco. I'd be very surprised if you found any Mirco ones like that.

Well, if you consider just the 18 pins I have in the modern era (post 1990), 3/18 would be about 16%. Though not typical or desirable I wouldn't say it's exactly rare. If you look closely, I bet you'll see it on more games than you think.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-normal-to-have-a-new-pf-have-planking?tu=Jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.