(Topic ID: 229826)

Is it normal for distributors to just stop responding?

By seenev

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Travish
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

my-10-big-learnings-on-raising-a-13m-seed-round-rakesh-soni-7-638 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seenev.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I've been looking to get my first NIB pin and while a couple distributors have been helpful and taken the time to answer my questions even if they don't immediately have what I want, I feel like most distributors I've talked to give very short responses and won't even respond to follow up questions if they don't think they'll get an immediate sale. Is this normal? The impression I'm getting from a lot of these guys is that I should consider myself lucky to do business with them.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Two trains of thought-
    "If you don't want my business, I'll take it elsewhere"
    or
    "This dude seems like he will be a pain in the ass, so it will be better if he goes elsewhere"

My questions have been minimal. I guess right now there's a lot of demand so if someone asks something like "When could I expect it to be delivered?" it's just too much work for some of them.

All I seem to be getting out of this process is a list of dealers that won't take the time to answer a question. I figure if I have any problems, they won't do anything to fix it if they won't answer a simple question before the sale.

#10 5 years ago

There was one that seemed to have what I wanted and I said I was interested. I asked if they could nail down the delivery window and I never heard back. I have the money and was ready to lock it in and pay. I just don't get it.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

What pin or pins are you interested in?
    Then we can be more help.

There's a few I've been asking about. I'm starting to think some of these dealers mislead you on their stock or anticipated stock to get you to make a deposit with them so it's harder to go with another dealer. If you ask for more specific details they just stop responding. A few of them even gave me estimates I know were false based on info from the manufacturer.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

What games are you inquiring about and how many emails do you send to each distributor?

I only send one email... I've had 2 or 3 tell me pirates le is in stock or will be imminently but the conversation always drops off. I've inquired about MBr LE, trying to see if they have any allotted for early shipments. A few of them straight up lied about it. Game room guys told me I could have it first week of January even though cgc said they won't start production until after Christmas and there are many other orders...

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

I literally got my Houdini less than two weeks ago from Hemispheres Amusements. I left an inquiry via their site late at night, and woke up to an email, and a voicemail from Kurt. Him and Mark, (billing/invoice) answered my calls immediately, gave me three phone numbers, and even reply to texts. Honestly, I couldn't have asked for more support, and Kurt answered every single question I threw at him, and elaborated well past what I asked. I never felt like I was bugging him once, or couldn't get ahold of him.
    https://www.hemispheresamusements.com

Hemisphere is one of the few to answer my questions. I have a pretty good impression of them but he's being honest and telling me I'd be way at the back of the line. I have a vacation coming up and if I can't make it happen before then I'm better off waiting.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buju:

Hold up, send a pm to doomid he ownes acey gogi and i think he is now a jjp distro. Thats like 30 min from glendaletucky, no?

Really? Wow. I was just there on Saturday. It was nuts. Not sure if i want to deal locally. Let's just say I'd like to avoid any imperial entanglements.

#28 5 years ago

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll look into them. If you're a dealer, I suggest not leaving people hanging. I was considering buying an AFM that one dealer had in stock if the one I asked about didn't pan out, but because they just ignored my last question I don't want to buy from them now. Put in a little time. It will make a much better impression.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ok dude, IN THIS THREAD I have counted at least 3 games you have “inquired about”. Unless I’m missing something, you need to pick a game, say “I’d like to buy THIS... game” and be prepared to put down a deposit immediately. Otherwise you seem like a tire kicker.
    I want you to get a game in your driveway ASAP.. just want to make sure you understand how your “inquiries” might make somebody sniff (right or wrong) that you may not be serious -enough-. Lots of people want a game. The serious ones “have the $$ right now and here it is, when do I get my game? “

There's a priority schedule for the games I want. If I can get the one I want the most by the time I need it I would buy it today. If I can't, I would inquire about the next game. The dealers hear me ask when I could expect it and just stop responding, and I don't even get to the second or third game. Ideally I would check as many dealers as I can for the one I want the most before moving to the next. I don't understand why dealers expect me to throw a bunch of money at them without asking some questions. It's like answering some questions is just too much of a demand when buying a 7-10k game.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seenev.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-normal-for-distributors-to-just-stop-responding-?tu=seenev and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.