(Topic ID: 234757)

Is it normal for clearcoat to hairline-crack on a new playfield?

By TheDrewster

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tnut tool3 (resized).JPG
IMG_8318 (resized).JPG
IMG_8319 (resized).JPG
IMG_8317 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Completist.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

From my experience, cracks like that can develop from t-nut installation depending on how they were installed. Especially where you have a nut being installed between two close holes like you see in the sling area. The risk is increased if the pf isnt laid flat on a firm surface (for example installing on a rotisserie).

I installed a couple first and noticed a crack. I know it was from me hammering the t-nut in and i was aware of what could happen and thought i was being cautious. Live and learn... It was between two holes maybe a half inch apart. Thats when i made up a rig with some hardwood with sharp edges sanded off, and some rubber to protect the clear side. Then used some steel washers to distribute the load and drew the t-nut up from the bottom with a bolt. I missed one t-nut and realized it after the pf was partially populated and used this method on a rotisserie, and had no issues. This takes longer of course but is the lowest risk imo. Incedently the pf in question was not a CPR so it can happen with any repro or restalled pf using hard clear coats.

When you get to the topside, be careful as well when you install screws. Need to remove the clear from around the hole using a dremmel (check out Ron Kruzman’s kit) or sharp drill bit so the threads dont grab hold and pull the clear up.

#3 5 years ago

Btw i enjoy your Youtube channel.

#8 5 years ago

Same here. I had the pf on my workbbench with an automotive type carpet and used a deadblow hammer. I know i caused my crack as the pf was perfect before i started. Luckily hidden under plastics but still a piss off considering i was (i thought) being very careful. From now on i’ll only start t-nut with deadblow to sink the tangs, then draw the rest in with a bolt making sure to distribute the pressure over a large area. Stole the idea off of Pinball Mike D’s moster bash retoration series but i think he’s pulled them. Or at least i couldn’t find the vids anymore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Completist.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-normal-for-clearcoat-to-hairline-crack-on-a-new-playfield?tu=Completist and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.