Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jj44114
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1010693 (resized).JPG
    P1010694 (resized).JPG
    P1010695 (resized).JPG
    grounded leg (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from 7oxford:

Silly question, but how do you ground everything else if they are not connected to the ground. I know there is a ground wire, but Iā€™d rather charge go through the legs than thru me which is why the ground braid connects to the legs.

Any voltage/current leak finding it's way into the ground braid would not actually travel through the legs in order to find a path to ground, unless perhaps if the game is standing on a concrete or earthern floor. It would likely travel through the ground wire of the power cord, and into the receptacle, provided it is properly grounded. A GFCI outlet would trip and cut power to the game as well. You would be safe from a shock even if the legs were not grounded. The current wouldn't travel through your legs to get to ground, unless maybe if you were standing barefoot in a puddle!

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from NeonNoodle:

I was waiting for some replies to chime back in, and I do appreciate the varying opinions and input. To provide more context as to the purpose of my question, I have several older EM's, some of which have a two prong, non-grounded, non-polarized plug that I will be replacing the power cords on. I am using new three prong cords and want the ground wire to actually be protective. I am planning on running ground wires to the coin door if not already present, and most of my machines seem to already have continuity to the lockdown bar and side rails via direct contact, but legs that are fully isolated by wood and have no wiring attached or really even close just didn't make sense to me to necessitate grounding. So I asked.
    I will add that I believe that when we see modern games with grounded legs, it is likely the result of current NEC requirements, or manufacturers' attempting to cover EVERY possible outcome and be as safe as possible in an extremely litigious society, by being able to say that ALL external metal components capable of being touched by the player are fully grounded. And, I frankly get this mentality from the manufacturer's perspective. But I don't think that mindset applies to my old games that I am not selling commercially.

I think you've answered your own question. I'm with you in thinking the legs on modern games are grounded just for regulatory compliance.
    The worst shock I ever got from a pinball machine was when I touched the grounded leg of a game (reaching down for my beer), while having my other hand on the lockdown bar of an adjacent game which obviously had a hot lead in contact with a metal part of the game (likely the coin door). Pretty bad jolt, and if the leg of the other game wasn't grounded, I wouldn't have gotten zapped. Of course it alerted me to the fact that there was a problem!

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from edednedy:

Question for you JR. When you received this shock, did the breaker trip?

Breaker? Where? It was in a friend's basement gameroom.
    As far as I remember, nothing tripped.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-necessary-to-ground-legs?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.