BCcolor (resized).jpg
IMG_4739 (resized).JPG
IMG_4738 (resized).JPG
IMG_4736 (resized).JPG
IMG_4735 (resized).JPG
IMG_6638 (resized).JPG
IMG_6637 (resized).JPG
IMG_6636 (resized).JPG
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I ordered a full set of decals for my Whirlwind last week, and they came in on Monday. I got them home, and put the new decals up against my existing WW cabinet and was shocked to see the difference in color. My Whirlwind is a nice, bright blue... The decals I got are more of a gull gray color. Do any of you think the blue in these decals is way off too?

IMG_6637 (resized).JPGIMG_6637 (resized).JPG
IMG_6636 (resized).JPGIMG_6636 (resized).JPG
IMG_6638 (resized).JPGIMG_6638 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Its way off and so is the yellow and oranges. Too much black and needs a little more magenta and cyan.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, it's way off.

That is what I was afraid of... I just hope I don’t have a difficult time returning them.

#5 6 years ago

Definitely off based on those pics. Too dark

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I ordered a full set of decals for my Whirlwind last week, and they came in on Monday. I got them home, and put the new decals up against my existing WW cabinet and was shocked to see the difference in color. My Whirlwind is a nice, bright blue... The decals I got are more of a gull gray color. Do any of you think the blue in these decals is way off too?

Wow that looks like crap. Are these "official" or from some place in Europe?

#7 6 years ago

Wow, it’s not even the same image!! Where did you get it from?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes would love to know where you got these

#9 6 years ago

Definitely not the same. Too dark.

#10 6 years ago

Thats a huge difference in blue.

#11 6 years ago

Looks like the curves of the clouds and the colored circles around the "W" logo are different as well.

#12 6 years ago

The backbox art looks the same, just mirrored. Probably the decal for the other side of the cabinet. That colors though... damn. Someone needs to fill the printer with the correct ink!!!

#13 6 years ago

Are those so-called "Next Gen" printed decals or old school screen printed decals? I bought some Next Gen decals for the head of my Dr. Who, and the colors were off like your Whirlwind decals so I didn't even use them, and just restored the original art on my beat up Dr. Who head instead. I'm afraid that the Next Gen decals might lack the vibrancy of screen printed decals. Anybody else have similar experience with Next Gen vs screen printed decals?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Thats a huge difference in blue

Yep!

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Those can’t be official, not only do they look terrible, the images themselves are totally different, I would take a bet these have been “re-drawn” and not very well done, the clouds curves are way off and the Williams logo itself is in a completely different circle outline, the colours being off are just the last straw, clearly a product made without any attention to detail.

Sorry to see you having this trouble OP, can you get your money back/full refund? It’s what I’d be asking for personally.

#16 6 years ago

Where did you get them from?

#17 6 years ago

Curious about the source now to.
I see the notorious eBay seller known to have color match issues is selling these...

#18 6 years ago

Bummer,
I saw some on ebay that looked off like those. Hopefully you can return them.

#19 6 years ago

Ship them back for a refund.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Are those so-called "Next Gen" printed decals or old school screen printed decals? I bought some Next Gen decals for the head of my Dr. Who, and the colors were off like your Whirlwind decals so I didn't even use them, and just restored the original art on my beat up Dr. Who head instead. I'm afraid that the Next Gen decals might lack the vibrancy of screen printed decals. Anybody else have similar experience with Next Gen vs screen printed decals?

I had gotten some a set of the Next Gen decals for my RFM when I had it and they looked fine, but I think that game originally used a printed decal to begin with so that could be the difference.

I would not use Whirlwind decals though. Your original art looks way better compared to them.

#21 6 years ago

It would be nice to know where those came from so someone else on here doesn't fall into the same trap. Please do tell!

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I had gotten some a set of the Next Gen decals for my RFM when I had it and they looked fine, but I think that game originally used a printed decal to begin with so that could be the difference.

I'd like to verify whether this lack of color vibrancy/correctness is or isn't an issue with Next Gen decals, as I would like to buy some more full sets of decals in the future, but am leery of doing so, based on my experience with the Next Gen Dr. Who head decals. Just the head decals were relatively cheap, so I didn't complain and just chalked it up to experience, but a full set of decals is quite a bit of money.

#23 6 years ago

Those can’t be PPS decals. I just installed a set and the blue is very vibrant.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I would not use Whirlwind decals though. Your original art looks way better compared to them.

What you don't see is the peeling paint o the other side of the cabinet, and the delaminating plywood on the other side of the head. Restoring the art on this one is not a possibility.

I hope you guys will understand, but I don't want to out the seller until I get my money back. I posted this thinking that just maybe all the WW decals were this color. I see now that they are not. So bear with me for a while guys, I will up date this situation once it gets resolved.

#25 6 years ago

I got my whirlwind decals from PPS........they are the correct bright blue.......but the blue circle around the logo is different than the original artwork.......my cabinet art was also not repairable

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

I got my whirlwind decals from PPS........they are the correct bright blue.......but the blue circle around the logo is different than the original artwork.......my cabinet art was also not repairable

Any pics that the OP and the rest of us of us can use as reference for future WW decals/restores?

#27 6 years ago

here are my current pics.....sorry kind of dark

IMG_4735 (resized).JPGIMG_4735 (resized).JPG

IMG_4736 (resized).JPGIMG_4736 (resized).JPG

IMG_4738 (resized).JPGIMG_4738 (resized).JPG

IMG_4739 (resized).JPGIMG_4739 (resized).JPG

#28 6 years ago

Nice. I like the white trim.

#29 6 years ago

I have the same question/issue with a set of Bad Cats decals I bought from ClassicArcades on Ebay. I've spotted issues with CA's products before, but in this case I thought the decals they were selling were the same as those from PPS! Same stock image and same description, both refer to "Next Gen, and the CA listing even said "licensed" so I felt safe and took the plunge during the ebay 20% off frenzy.

Well, the color on this set, while not as horrifically "off" as that Whirlwind one, is still not correct to me. Unfortunately I need to pose a better photo but what is obvious is that the original decals were a "hot" flourescent orange (as seen under hinges, rails, etc). The replacement decals are rather dull with no "pop" at all. They don't quite match the painted head I have either, but are close enough to excuse...

I will probably try to get a better photo later. I'm not sure if I should return these or not. There was some controversy when the BC decals were released a few years ago and Rick supposedly corrected them. But I'm probably out of luck since I bought these from CA....

BCcolor (resized).jpgBCcolor (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago

What you don't see is the peeling paint o the other side of the cabinet, and the delaminating plywood on the other side of the head. Restoring the art on this one is not a possibility.
I hope you guys will understand, but I don't want to out the seller until I get my money back. I posted this thinking that just maybe all the WW decals were this color. I see now that they are not. So bear with me for a while guys, I will up date this situation once it gets resolved.

It happened to me once so I'll take a stab at it ...Does it start with "Classic"?

#31 6 years ago

Something tells me you will get your money back but will get "banned" from any future purchases.

#32 6 years ago

I hope you guys will understand, but I don't want to out the seller until I get my money back.

It's one thing for a color to be off, but the actual artwork is more of a "rendition" not a "recreation". Those cloud lines and circles around the 'W' logo are completely lazy and inexcusable in my book.

Hope you get your $ back!

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

It happened to me once so I'll take a stab at it ...Does it start with "Classic"?

Aren't his decals bought from PPS he says they are "licensed" I cant imagine Rick would let him sell them if he wasn't supplying

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Aren't his decals bought from PPS he says they are "licensed" I cant imagine Rick would let him sell them if he wasn't supplying

I'm not 100% sure but IMHO, he can say they are "licensed" all day long but I don't believe his decals are from PPS. I had a similar experience as the OP. I eventually got my money back but he failed to reimburse the money I had to pay to ship his faded decals back to him. The decals were nothing like the pictures in the ad! Not even close! I ended up buying my decals from Mr. Pinball and WOW what a difference! Yes a bit more expensive but I guess you get what you pay for

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I'm not 100% sure but IMHO, he can say they are "licensed" all day long but I don't believe his decals are from PPS. I had a similar experience as the OP. I eventually got my money back but he failed to reimburse the money I had to pay to ship his faded decals back to him. The decals were nothing like the pictures in the ad! Not even close! I ended up buying my decals from Mr. Pinball and WOW what a difference! Yes a bit more expensive but I guess you get what you pay for

Yes I got mine from Mr. Pinball too good quality

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Looks like the curves of the clouds and the colored circles around the "W" logo are different as well.

The colour definitely looks wrong and that solid outline of the logo is wrong. But I think the clouds are correct, he is just holding up the decal against the wrong side of the backbox to compare. So the black lines inside the clouds are reversed on his compared to the decal. If he held it up against the other side they would probably match.

But regardless I would send those back too and want a refund.

I got mine from RetroRefurbs and was very happy with the colour and quality. Here are a couple of pics of mine during installation (bear in mind these were taken in a darkish room in low light too):

unnamed-2 (resized).jpgunnamed-2 (resized).jpg
unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago

The clouds in the backbox image the op posted may be mirrored but the “R” registered trademark isn’t. Sloppy artwork.

#38 6 years ago

In the minority here but nobody else likes the new colors? I get it--it's not stock/original. But when you re-decal a cab you've already crossed that line...and so what? Just saying the non FunHouse blue doesn't look so bad. Different.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

The clouds in the backbox image the op posted may be mirrored but the “R” registered trademark isn’t. Sloppy artwork.

Why would the trademark need to be mirrored?

It wasn't on my original, it was in the same location on both sides of the backbox?

2lma1ro (resized).jpg2lma1ro (resized).jpg

wa6r82 (resized).jpgwa6r82 (resized).jpg

#40 6 years ago

Artwork in OP's post is also wrong, not just the colors! Notice the circle around the W logo is different, one missing, and some other details are off.

Definitely looks like the work of Classic Arcades - I've had a few things off them and all been poor quality, was really not happy! The police force decals have the wrong colours and the artwork is different too, especially on the coin door! But going off the preview which is also used on the PPS website I should have seen the issue.

What really gets my goat is how some of these sellers are handed the license to print whatever they want yet the more reputable sellers overseas can't get one.

Did anyone else see The Flintstones translite which looked like something downloaded off Google with the Williams logo slapped across it?

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Ripper:

What really gets my goat is how some of these sellers are handed the license to print whatever they want yet the more reputable sellers overseas can't get one.

Pretty sure the overseas guys don't need a license unless they're shipping back to the US/Can.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pretty sure the overseas guys don't need a license unless they're shipping back to the US/Can.

I tried to buy to some stuff from the guys in England who had tons of artwork for just about every game, but couldn't. He said they were forced to stop due to the legal issues brought about from the license holders.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Ripper:

I tried to buy to some stuff from the guys in England who had tons of artwork for just about every game, but couldn't. He said they were forced to stop due to the legal issues brought about from the license holders.

Maybe it was movie-licensed stuff like The Shadow, Flintstones, Indiana Jones, etc and they were getting grief from the movie IP license holders. Original theme Bally/Williams/Data East pinball stuff I don't think was covered in Europe and just can't be imported into the US/Can legally.

#44 6 years ago

A few of you guys mention a company on ebay called "classic" are you referring to this ebay seller? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Walking-Dead-TWD-Stern-Pinball-Machine-Inside-Art-Blade-Panel/111980918666?epid=1971727015&hash=item1a1295378a:g:ih4AAOSw~oFXIM30

I am asking as I want to make sure these are the official Stern side art blades and not some copies, so wanted to make sure I wasn't getting sellers mixed up?

Thanks

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

A few of you guys mention a company on ebay called "classic" are you referring to this ebay seller? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Walking-Dead-TWD-Stern-Pinball-Machine-Inside-Art-Blade-Panel/111980918666?epid=1971727015&hash=item1a1295378a:g:ih4AAOSw~oFXIM30
I am asking as I want to make sure these are the official Stern side art blades and not some copies, so wanted to make sure I wasn't getting sellers mixed up?
Thanks

Pretty sure this is who they're talking about:
https://tinyurl.com/y9llrtzq

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pretty sure this is who they're talking about:
https://tinyurl.com/y9llrtzq

Wow from that feedback I am going to take a stab in the dark that you might just be correct

Thanks Vire just wanted to make sure I wasn’t getting mixed up, worst thing to do is mix up a good vendor with a shit one, thanks for clarifying man.

1 week later
#47 6 years ago

Just to close this topic out, I did finally get my money back yesterday. For those of you that guessed they came from ClassicArcades on Ebay, you were correct. I used the 20% off sale last month to pull the trigger on these. In the future, I may restrict my cabinet decal buying to PPS.

#48 6 years ago

In the future, I may restrict my cabinet decal buying to PPS.

You may find you are blocked from buying again from classic arcades, i know another pinside experienced that after a return.
Glad you got your refund.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

You may find you are blocked from buying again from classic arcades, i know another pinside experienced that after a return.
Glad you got your refund.

Being blocked by a seller who sells bad quality decals? I would say that's actually a very good thing indeed!

1 month later
#50 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Maybe it was movie-licensed stuff like The Shadow, Flintstones, Indiana Jones, etc and they were getting grief from the movie IP license holders. Original theme Bally/Williams/Data East pinball stuff I don't think was covered in Europe and just can't be imported into the US/Can legally.

Hmm no, they specifically said it was Planetary Pinball causing the problem.

I'd never buy anything from those assholes at PPS or Classic Arcades anyway. Would rather get it from the hobbyists who actually care about pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-me-or-is-this-decal-not-the-correct-color and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.