(Topic ID: 72456)

Is it me or is there no real direction on X-Men?

By twinmice

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SHE_RA__don__t_STARE__COLOR_by_RyanKinnaird.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CarShark.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Shots are super tight. Definitely not for amateurs.

That layout doesn't make sense to me. Storm ramp, Rogue loop, Xavier lane. Target. Back to back to back to back. All of them in a space about three inches and all of them feed SDTM, at least on the one I played. Wolverine's left arm played a lot into that, plus it blocks the Xavier lane at times, too.

It'll kick your ass all day long. Hence the problem. People generally don't like getting their ass kicked. So they bag the game.

It looks and plays cluttered. In a way, it sort of makes me appreciate the widebody games. They can have more unique layouts without sacrificing playability.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

So,do you feel the same way about TAF, Same layout,just moved around a bit.

A little bit, yeah. I think what helps is having the bash toy further up the playfield, and that the side ramp isn't nearly as steep or perpendicular. The Thing and Bear Kick Ramps are fairly normal-sized, though, whereas it looks like half an inch was taken out of the respective Xavier and Magneto shots and given to the Cyclops shot. There's tight, and there's too tight. I think the shots on Spider-Man are good, while TRON is a bit tight (especially Quorra and GEM), and the shots on X-Men are too tight.

#80 10 years ago

I don't think the problem with The Addams Family being easy is with the layout as much as the rules and the modes themselves. This was a time when modes were evolving from being instant awards and playfield bonuses (pops at max, million shots) like on Whirlwind and Funhouse to mini-games. 3 of the 12 modes on TAF are just instant points awards, no work required. One is a playfield bonus, which would probably just be a random award at the swamp or something similar. Then there's Thing MB, Quick MB and EBL, which are all one shot each. That's over half the game in just three shots. The rest of the modes have the same problem that many (most?) mode-based games of the time have: you just have to start them to get credit for them for the wizard mode. You can time them out, or bring them into a multiball and ignore them for the most part. I was able to Tour the Mansion when I played it last, even though I hadn't seen one in almost 10 years, just going mode-ramp-mode-ramp over and over. That's why I like objective-based games like Scared Stiff and Attack from Mars. You aren't hitting the same few shots over and over. You have to hit the standups (Martian Multiball), lanes (Deadheads), pop bumpers (Lab, Super Jets) and everything else to get to the wizard mode.

Modern mode games are much better (IMO) because they make you win all the modes to get to the final wizard, but they also give you something decent if you just start them all. TRON is my favorite modern game, and I have gotten to Sea of Simulation a handful of times. Getting Portal is something else, however. GEM is the sticking point in both cases.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CarShark.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-me-or-is-there-no-real-direction-on-x-men?tu=CarShark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.