Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dmacy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3224 (resized).PNG
    IMG_3552 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3551 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3550 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3549 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3544 (resized).JPG
    100_5827 (resized).JPG
    100_5393 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

In my old hobby of car restoration a real plus was to find a car that was matching numbers. The body, drive train and such all had the same stamping or series of number. This way you're sure all the parts are original to the car.
    Do we have a way to know that about pinball machines? How can I tell if my coin door, legs, or back box are original issue? What if anything can I find out from the serial number ? Is there a data base for who originally purchased the game? Not that it matters in the big scheme of things but just wondered.

#2 7 years ago

Gottlieb system 80 boards all had the serial number on them, but it was just a sticker. They didn't bother with things like the coin door or legs, probably just stuff that might have been warrantied/etc

#3 7 years ago

And from what i understand, they might not all have the same number even when they were brand new.

#4 7 years ago

I bought a NIB TSPP and had an issue with the power driver board right out of the box. Stern sent me a new board with a different sticker and I had to send the old board back. I don't think it devalued the game at all.

I might have only a handful of games where everything matches. I don't think having non numbers matching stuff is a concern.

#5 7 years ago

TL;DR: No.

Having asked very similar questions to many other pinball folks, here's a summary of what I've been told.

Contrary to what I assumed, playfield condition is A1 when folks want games. Generally speaking: the PF is the most difficult to replace and repair. Next are every other cosmetic item that is difficult to fix or replace. Toys, cab art, translite, etc are all very important. Custom parts and ramps are also high up the list. Original, good condition is great, NOS is great, restored is pretty good, aftermarket is usually fine, original crappy shape is far down the list.

All the generic mechs like pop bumpers and coils don't seem to matter as long as the game shoots well. Each game seems to have it's "thing" that goes wrong and finding one without that thing wrong is important. If it's been fixed, then the next buyer feels good that it doesn't need to be fixed in the future.

Another way of thinking about this is a pristine game that doesn't work is (usually) worth more than a working game with worn out cosmetics. Most pinball folks can fix / replace a stock part, but replacing art is rough.

#6 7 years ago

I think its neat when i get a pin with all its original boards and no hacks ......it usually means it wasn't played alot and was well cared for for. All my b/w pins have all original stuff and are in awesome condition so they seem to go hand and hand in most cases. In general condition is king and is all i will pay extra for

#7 7 years ago

From a restoration aspect, a lot of the original number labels may be either damaged or peeling so in that case it is easier to just reprint them with new repros rather than leaving a half ruined decal in place for the sake of originality.

When I tear down a machine for a complete restoration I just make a note (photograph) of all the board serial numbers and the country of origin decal before removal and redo them to match the originals.

Obviously the primary concern is the condition of a machine, in particular the aspects that BrewinBombers mentioned, but if you are bringing a machine back to factory fresh or better then it makes sense to put the effort into the finishing touches of a restoration that will differentiate them from those who restore machines with the sole purpose of keeping their resale profit margin at the forefront.

#8 7 years ago

I use to think that going through a machine and seeing all the serial number stickers have matching numbers from the cabinet rear to the inside of the cabinet to each and every board was great. However matching stickers can be easily replicated, and it is done by some sellers, so the matching numbers doesn't mean shit. I've even got fooled.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

I use to think that going through a machine and seeing all the serial number stickers have matching numbers from the cabinet rear to the inside of the cabinet to each and every board was great. However matching stickers can be easily replicated, and it is done by some sellers, so the matching numbers doesn't mean shit. I've even got fooled.

Cld be but unless its a restore i dont see many people going threw the trouble since it really dont add value.

#10 7 years ago

Understood . Kind of nice to have original equipment but definitely not a dealbreaker.
    What about the other question? Is there anyway to track the serial number to see where the game went when it left the factory ?

#11 7 years ago

I have a few games with matching serial numbers on the boards and displays, which is kind of neat. Otherwise, I don't really care if the serial numbers match--just as long as the boards were original and not after-market.

Quoted from Tropicalcats:

Is there anyway to track the serial number to see where the game went when it left the factory ?

Other than user-submitted serial numbers at ipsnd.net, not really.

#12 7 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but on high end auto restores serial numbers are filed off and restamped. I thought that had become even somewhat acceptable it was so common.

#13 7 years ago

Two old games just out of the boxes, clean as new boards. Matching numbers would go for the same or more.

#14 7 years ago

Wouldn't it be exciting to post clean matching backbox pics here?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from bam10:

Correct me if I'm wrong but on high end auto restores serial numbers are filed off and restamped. I thought that had become even somewhat acceptable it was so common.

Not claiming I did high end auto restoration but the car I did was matching numbers and I never would of or heard you would file off the original stamping to restamp. The only reason I could see someone wanting to do that is to deceive.

Quoted from Elvisinmypants:

That's a great idea. I'll see what I can get from mine this week.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Elvisinmypants:

Well, I'll start. Here's a super-clean, HUO, all-original Pinbot I picked up a couple years ago. All boards matching and like new, only change I had to make was clipping the battery holder. Same with the DE Simpsons below it.

100_5827 (resized).JPG100_5827 (resized).JPG
    100_5393 (resized).JPG100_5393 (resized).JPG

#17 7 years ago

My Gottlieb Spirit has all matching numbers on the boards and displays

1 week later
    #18 7 years ago

Have not had a chance to look at the boards for numbers but did find these 2 stickers on the top of the back box. One is an easy ID that shows it's the original back box. The other sticker is hard to read and I'm not sure what it was for. I do know that this was a game made for export judgeing from the 3 coin slot door which appears to be original.
    Any ideas on the stickers ?

IMG_3544 (resized).JPGIMG_3544 (resized).JPG

IMG_3549 (resized).JPGIMG_3549 (resized).JPG

IMG_3550 (resized).JPGIMG_3550 (resized).JPG

IMG_3551 (resized).JPGIMG_3551 (resized).JPG

IMG_3552 (resized).JPGIMG_3552 (resized).JPG

#19 7 years ago

I believe the "I" on the serial is meaning international so reimport. Domestics will have no "I" in the front of the number. At least this has been the case on the machines I've owned.

The other is on top right of most all B/W back boxes of the DMD era I believe. You can get it from those that offer restoration sticker sets.

Flashinstinct sells them in his sets:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-decals-on-sale-for-3-days-only-25-off#post-3356585

IMG_3224 (resized).PNGIMG_3224 (resized).PNG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-matching-numbers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.