(Topic ID: 245476)

Is it just me, or has Pinside become less helpful???

By Blake

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 150 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Buzz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    donate (resized).JPG
    82BE8418-EC90-4CF5-8E7F-E88DD2C16883 (resized).png
    pbateman SLE pinball (resized).jpg
    There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago

From my own standpoint, I'm just burned out. I just don't have the time and energy to devote to tech threads like I used to. I'll still pop into things from time to time, but I'm more selective than I used to be.

-Hans

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I admit I sometimes hit a few of what I would consider low hanging fruit before I'd tackle a thread that takes 20 minutes to read through, plus additional time to research. Unless-- I find the issue particularly interesting, or related to something I was already or recently working on.

Easy to do. And in some ways more beneficial. I am guilty of this too.

Thanks
    Blake

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

From my own standpoint, I'm just burned out. I just don't have the time and energy to devote to tech threads like I used to. I'll still pop into things from time to time, but I'm more selective than I used to be.
    -Hans

I think this is very true for lots of folks. And understandable. Folks like myself should pick up the slack if capable.

Thanks
    Blake

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

I'm just burned out. I just don't have the time and energy to devote to tech threads like I used to.

I would guess that tech help fatigue is a factor for lots of folks. Particularly if they remember answering that same question several times previously.
    It's great when people find answers from years ago, and it also means that someone already answered the question.
    Also, it might really be an odd problem that no one has seen before. Just because no one answered doesn't mean that no one looked.
    I'm grateful to the folks who take the time and have the knowledge to answer tech questions.

I'll answer a few softballs here and there, but don't have the experience to answer any of the hard ones.
    I do try to stay just as snarky as I've ever been though.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

Is it just me, or has Pinside become less helpful?

I so wanted to answer this with: Yes, it is just you who has become less helpful. (But I just couldn't do that.)

However, Pinside is definitely less helpful. I posted here on Pinside that I couldn't afford all the recent NIB games and did anyone open a kickstarter fund for me? Nope. No help from Pinsiders with my anemic pinball funds.

(Please recognize that this post is all in jest and do not down vote me for my sense of humor.)

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I would guess that tech help fatigue is a factor for lots of folks. Particularly if they remember answering that same question several times previously.

I was thinking this myself. Same question asked/answered many times. . . sometimes in the same thread.

One that comes to mind is Vid's How to Wax a Playfield Thread -- I get that there are different opinions but it is currently over 1700 posts and I bet a lot of those are "What wax should I use?"

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

.... "What wax should I use?"

WELL....what wax did you end up using? Nveer mind, I'll just start a new thread.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

WELL....what wax did you end up using? Nveer mind, I'll just start a new thread.

Decided to make my own. A combination of Bee, Ear, and Bikini Waxes. . .

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

For sure it has, you ask for help maybe get a couple responses,
    Post about kenada or to whine about something hundreds of posts.

That's just the signal to noise ratio. Still some good stuff but harder to come across and doesn't always get the attention that it used to. There should be a feature on Pinside where you can temporarily filter out any threads with more than x# of posts to it on the Front page...

#60 4 years ago

Helping people in the Tech threads is a very time consuming endevour. I admire people like Grumpy who jump in and help a lot of people. I try to help from time to time, but I often hold back because I know I may be able to give them some initial help, but I won't be able to followup in a timely manner.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

The hobby has gone from people who buy old machines and fix them up, to guys that buy NIBs and have them professionally setup in their house. You know, guys that listen to Yacht Rock and "summer" in the Hamptons. I'm kidding a little but you get the idea, less people that get their hands dirty with old machines, so less experience and advice to be given. BUT the good thing is there is a huge archive of helpful threads on this site. I just used a 7 year old thread to help me with an issue with my IJ4.[quoted image]

I completely agree.

Fortunately some of us (former) white glove, yacht rockers are putting in the work and learning our pins inside and out. All with the hope that we may be more helpful to pinsiders in the future. A good example of this can be found in the JJPOTC thread.

Hopefully with this latest surge of interest in pinball we will see more pin techs in the future. We might just be in a slump due to reasons mentioned by TheLaw.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

We might just be in a slump due to reasons mentioned by TheLaw.

There's also the typical ebbs and flows of seasonal activity. With the typical summer stuff and shows I've been busy prepping for, I know I haven't been spending nearly as much time on the forums as I was over the winter.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Particularly if they remember answering that same question several times previously.

A lot of the simple beginner questions I don't bother to answer anymore since I've answered them many times over. Sometimes I'll just post a link to a previous thread if I spot it in a quick search, or I'll just let other people tackle it.

If I spent all day responding to threads on pinside, I'd get nothing done!

#64 4 years ago

I find any threads i post for help get responded to quickly. And perhaps its a smaller demographic of tech supporters but i still get the help i need. Most importantly i always get people like Grumpy, as an example, who will take the time to explain why to do something, not just what to do. so i become more knowledgeable, and can apply this to other issues in the future. I appreciate this support and try to pay it forward whenever i can.

I find Pinside MUCH better than FB for pin repair help. It drives me nuts to see the same “help” advice which is ‘for [insert problem here], send your boards to this guy.’ While I’m sure the work is top notch - there are people who want to learn how to fix their pins themselves....

#65 4 years ago

I dont know what you guys are talking about.. I dont know where i would be without pinside. look at my long list of things that need to be done!
    The things that were fixed and are getting fixed are all because of pinside!

Pinball things to fix:

TWD - Walker switch broken - new part on the way
    shaker motor too strong (FIXED)
    Bicycle girl mod issue (replacement on the way)
    Topper screw missing
    WOZ - Side decals need to be replaced parts are here
    Rattle (glass tape is here)
    Legs - need to be replaced parts are here
    May need Pinstadium
    Black Knight LE -
    Adhesive on the backglass

New shooter rod (part is here)
    Shaker motor too strong (need to change weights)
    Ball getting stuck behind catapault (FIXED)
    Dialed In CE - Cell phone problems (new cliffy coming)
    Star Wars -
    ripped decal (replacement here)
    non working start button (FIXED)
    Shaker motor too strong (need to adjust weight)
    Alien - lights two eggs not working (loose connection?)
    TSPP - Buzzing sound from flippers (replace coil stop - parts here)
    ? Color DMD
    Install pinblades
    POTC CE - Ball getting stuck right back (angle?) (FIXED)
    Medieval madness - new balls
    Install Troll Mod
    Star Trek - Need to fix Opto warp ramp (?)
    Tron - mods ( Flynn sign )
    AFRMLE - nothing wrong
    MBRLE - Left ramp ball getting stuck how to fix (?)

#66 4 years ago

I think the biggest problem with helping people is that the people asking questions often don't provide enough information and often go AWOL on their own thread when the potential helper asks for more information or gives suggestions.

#67 4 years ago

While all the techs are looking, I am totally stumped if anyone would take a look at this:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/53#postbox

#68 4 years ago

It's just you. At least the owners threads for the two pins I own (Getaway & Jurassic Park) are awesome when it comes to support.

#69 4 years ago

I don’t answer anywhere near as many tech questions as I could.
    It isn’t that I don’t want to but the issue I have found is sometimes you kind of inherit the problem or arm the person with the question with enough info or confidence to make things worse.
    Here is just an hypothetical example.
    “My ball wont kick out of the saucer”

Suggestion
    Adjust the switch.

Next
    “Where is the switch,which one,how do I do it ?”

Answer
    It is in the saucer hole,you carefully bend the arm to make it more sensitive then go into switch test and verify it is working

Next
    “Ok I did that but the little arm came off does that matter?what is switch edge test?”

Answer
    Put the arm back on,switch edge test is in the test menus.

Next
    “Arm won’t stay on now half the switches don’t seem to be working now I think I messed something up trying to get the arm back on”

Answer(Public)
    You should probably find someone close that is better versed to take a look at it and help guide you.

Answer(to myself)
    He probably broke a wire in the chain or shorted the switch matrix and also now needs a new switch all in the name of a simple switch adjustment. I should’ve just left it alone.

#70 4 years ago

I try to help when I can but there are reasons that I can't.

• I only answer questions about pins that I have so I can go to the source, if needed. Ask a question about OXO and I will be there if I see the post before everyone else!
    • I make a commitment to see the problem through to resolution before replying to a question. And that commitment possibly means a big investment in time.
    • I have a business now that takes up all of my time. Pecos Pinball has to come first or it will cease to exist. Speaking of, I always admire people like Ed at GPE and other business owners, Comet, Titan, Ball Baron and so many more because they spend so much of their time helping out. Awesome stuff! Value the time they give you!
    • I am getting older and don't have the energy I used to, sadly.
    • Diagnosing an EM problem online is danged hard! It takes a lot of pointed, sometimes obvious but necessary questions to determine exactly what the problem is. Again, a problem of time and commitment.
    • Instead of answering individual questions, I have come to the conclusion that my time can best be spent making a list of EM problems and possible solutions. We have just gone through issues with score reels, and, with any luck, will be able to tackle more generic EM problems in the future.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-pecos-quiz-diagnosing-em-and-early-ss-pin-problems/

I don't know how helpful the thread is. Some of it is pretty technical, but isn't that what we need more of? Clay's guides and the PinWikis are great for less technical, basic information.

This isn't a list of excuses. It is an explanation of why some of the more experienced guys, me in particular, on Pinside are not always there to help out.

"Is it just me, or has Pinside become less helpful???"

Here, just take a look at all of the people who helped me get Pecos Pinball started:

@atari_daze - sent me some very nice plastics for Hardbody - more than I paid for.
    @jwwhite15 - sent me six coin boxes for a very reasonable price.
    @grnrzr - sold me five great looking Bally displays, inexpensively, keeping the original look for Harlem Globetrotters On Tour.
    @colsond3 sent me a backbox door for #Double-Up, cheap, that is now in use at Hotel McCoy on #op-pop-pop.
    @smohr sent me some pinball parts so cheap I feel like a thief accepting them!
    My Project Pin guy in San Tan Valley sold me Harlem Globetrotters On Tour and Super-Flite, the first two games to go out on route.
    These are just a few of the people who have helped me get Pecos Pinball up and running.

The problem with listing those who have helped me is that the list is so long that I will inevitably and unintentionally miss a few.

There are others who have sent me parts for free. @rwh just sent me a backbox door for #Spanish Eyes and a spin unit for #expo. As much as I tried, he wouldn't accept any money for the parts! Yep, there are a number of exceptionally generous pinball people here - generous of their time and generous of their parts.

Kris Bliznick at Firebird Pinball supplied the MPU that I needed for #harlem-globetrotters-on-tour. The NVRAM guys, @barakandl and @Borygard have been extremely helpful. Recently, Wayne at Pinitech supplied me with some LED displays to test with and has been most helpful. Besides Pinside, other pinball people in Tucson and Phoenix have gone way over and beyond what ordinary citizens would do to help me, little ol'e me, out. Pinball people like to help pinball people!!

Finally, I can say from experience that any help I give is always returned, plus more, and I am grateful and thankful for all of you who have helped me.

I believe that Pinside is, for the most part, an extraordinary community of extraordinarily helpful people.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I think the biggest problem with helping people is that the people asking questions often don't provide a enough information

Or inaccurate information. Then blast you for not knowing what in heck they really mean or are looking for.

LTG : )

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Or inaccurate information. Then blast you for not knowing what in heck they really mean or are looking for.

That is what drives me nuts. I mean we are asking poeple to help us. Giving their own free time and sharing years of knowledge. I post hoping that someone helps, but they are not obligated. And seeing people bash techs like that is disgusting.

#73 4 years ago

In fact I remember a thread where I believe Vid1900 and LTG were helping a guy and he was just being an ass. Don't remember the specifics, but it was disgusting to see.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I’ve seen that snowball out of control many times. Guy asks question, you tell them to do “A”. They do “B” instead and said it didn’t work. Now you’re trying to figure out why “A” didn’t work when it always works. 30 posts later the OP says oops, I didn’t do “A” like you said. Thanks again LTG! You’re the best! Meanwhile you just spun your wheels for nothing

#75 4 years ago

I have offered a couple guys a paypal payment for sharing their time and they always decline. Perhaps pinside should have a way to tip the techs? Perhaps even anonymously? I would feel better about getting help if I could show some appreciation that way.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I have offered a couple guys a paypal payment for sharing their time and they always decline. Perhaps pinside should have a way to tip the techs? Perhaps even anonymously? I would feel better about getting help if I could show some appreciation that way.

robin was supposed to be working on something for Pinside as acknowledgment (not a physical payment) for someone or people who helped your way through a repair. Not sure if that is something that can be added if a repair is done within a club thread. Seems easier to do with separate repair threads.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I just fixed a couple of boards locally for people I actually know (in person). I don't want payment. Reason ... I feel obligated to provide some kind of warranty and support. It's easy for me to support someone locally in person. That's really hard to do with someone on a forum who could be thousands of miles away from you and you have never met.

I agree with a lot of the statements above such as "inaccurate or incomplete information" and "ask a question, get a response and either disagree with the response or don't do it".

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

robin was supposed to be working on something for Pinside as acknowledgment (not a physical payment) for someone or people who helped your way through a repair. Not sure if that is something that can be added if a repair is done within a club thread. Seems easier to do with separate repair threads.

I could see if techs dont want to give out a paypal address to public, but maybe to pinside could facilitate a tip to their paypal. Maybe it wouldn't work like that, but techs deserve a little appreciation. How nice it would be to just say thanks with a 20 spot. How much would we pay someone to come fix our games? In my case, I wouldn't even have a person to call.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I just fixed a couple of boards locally for people I actually know (in person). I don't want payment. Reason ... I feel obligated to provide some kind of warranty and support. It's easy for me to support someone locally in person. That's really hard to do with someone on a forum who could be thousands of miles away from you and you have never met.
    I agree with a lot of the statements above such as "inaccurate or incomplete information" and "ask a question, get a response and either disagree with the response or don't do it".

This is why anonymous would be good. But yeah, with the way people react to free help. I guess we need a disclaimer to send a tip in today's world.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Pinside donations can be made in the name of another Pinsider. I have done that before when someone did something for the pinball community that I appreciated.
    donate (resized).JPGdonate (resized).JPG

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Pinside donations can made in the name of another Pinsider. I have done that before when someone did something for the pinball community that I appreciated.

Yeah, but I want to tip the guy who gave his free time. Shoot, we may get some retirees who make some extra coin doing what they love.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I could see if techs dont want to give out a paypal address to public, but maybe to pinside could facilitate a tip to their paypal. Maybe it wouldn't work like that, but techs deserve a little appreciation. How nice it would be to just say thanks with a 20 spot. How much would we pay someone to come fix our games? In my case, I wouldn't even have a person to call.

I've been helping on Pinside for a while now and it is not always about wanting to get paid something. Just sometimes the repairs threads have up to 4 people responding and suddenly the OP said the game is working without stating whose advise helped the most to get to the root of the problem. Some people are good at showing that appreciation and others seem they need a box to check. Of course, even some repair threads get resolved without the resolved check mark showing it is resolved.

#83 4 years ago

I've been helping on Pinside for a while now and it is not always about wanting to get paid something. Just sometimes the repairs threads have up to 4 people responding and suddenly the OP said the game is working without stating whose advise helped the most to get to the root of the problem. Some people are good at showing that appreciation and others seem they need a box to check. Of course, even some repair threads get resolved without the resolved check mark showing it is resolved.

Well all of the techs I have encountered have been great people, yourself included. So with all sincerity: Thank You!, To all the people who contribute. If any of you visit AK, you have a friend here and a place to flip.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Perhaps pinside should have a way to tip the techs?

Robin brought up an idea like this some years back. Asking for input on things Pinside could add or do.

My response was no. ( at least for me )

The only thing I ever asked for was that as people learn, then in the future they help others. So pinball keeps moving forward. Just trying to make my little corner of pinball better and keep the ball rolling.

#85 4 years ago

Asking nicely and being genuinely grateful goes a long way in pretty much everything I think.

#86 4 years ago

I try to help people as much as I can with early Bally SS games as that is my interest. However some posts are frustrating. If you own a pin and are asking for help, owning a multi-meter is a must. Creating a post without even checking fuses for example is aggravating. Reading Pinwiki should be SOP before posting. If it's not there, post.

I have received more help than I have given. My hat is off to Quench who has made over 100 posts to help me with Bally issues.

I have posted for parts like a single plastic and have gotten them free for just shipping cost. I have also done the same sending small parts internationally for just shipping.

Back when RPG was the only game in town, I was on there every day. Heck we used to wear RGP lanyards to The Pinball Wizards Convention (now Pinfest).

While I've been into fixing pins for 20 years this is just my 2nd year here. Overall a great site.

#87 4 years ago

Yea, it feels like the club threads are now just people bragging or showing off. With not many people jumping to offer any help to problems. I have noticed alot of questions going unanswered.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

The forum you want almost existed when Robin tried to ax this
    [quoted image]
    So for now, enjoy the popularity contest

Woohoo! I’m popular!

#89 4 years ago

I get how this would be hairy if it was a mandatory thing. But if I could go to pinside and send $42 (just as example) and I can send $20 to PinballManiac40 and $20 to GRUMPY and $2 is the cost that goes to pinside, I would be using this service. And then you just a pinside message saying " you received a tip".

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Robin brought up an idea like this some years back. Asking for input on things Pinside could add or do.
    The only thing I ever asked for was that as people learn, then in the future they help others. So pinball keeps moving forward. Just trying to make my little corner of pinball better and keep the ball rolling.

You know Lloyd, you’re not technically savvy. You’re what we call a looker. You look good. Upstairs? Nuthin.

When your looks are gone you’re in trouble.

In the meantime....here’s a coloring book.

Disclaimer: Lloyd is actually incredibly intellectual. AND easy on the eyes.

#91 4 years ago

Just sign up for Clay's Ninja site, all you really need and he covers everything. Wish there was more youtube vidoes on repair. Ray and TNT are good but looks like Ray has taken a break and TNT really just seems to show the end product. The guy from Pinball help also seems to do a pretty good job, am I missing any must see internet TV?

#92 4 years ago

I think there is valuable information and many people that are willing to help still on the site. With the advent/ progression of social media as a whole, there is bound to be more static, however.

If you do a google search on any tech topic, it will inevitably lead back here....most of the problems have been covered multiple times.

Biggest differences I've seen in the 6+ years seems to be:

a) The bash threads (maybe it's just me)...have they always been this bad? I don't really know...never noticed them in the earlier days..maybe I wasn't paying attention.

b) The mod (not moderator) threads...there has never been such a surge in people buying high dollar, 3d stuff before even owning the game. Completely blows my mind. I've seen FS ads of people selling hundreds of dollars worth of stuff, as they lost interest in the game before it came out. I remember debates over switching to led lighting as opposed to incandescent. Now there are development threads for machines you can't even buy. How does that happen

I'm grateful for Pinside and the vast majority who post. If it's changed, just a sign of the times, imho....

#93 4 years ago

I think there is plenty of great help on this site. Just ask, NICELY. Also, most of the time the problem has already been addressed in another thread so do your homework too.

#94 4 years ago

I find it still and try to be very helpful. But it definitely has changed with a lot of the big personalities gone good and bad. It used to be a little more entertaining for sure and wild.

#95 4 years ago

I think it all comes back around to ya. I like to help whenever I can. I especially look for someone that asks for help that has no responders. It's tough when you ask for help and it looks as though your being ignored (even though that may not be the case) My specialty is WPC. Beyond that I really don't want to respond unless it is somewhat simple. I don't want to be part of the problem. The only thing I ask of folks wanting help is please let us know when the game is fixed and what you did to fix it so we can learn also.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The longer you been around the better everything used to be. That’s just life.

13 years ago when I first popped in here almost nothing was happening, so by default there almost has to be more tech help now than there was then. Sure, there's also more *noise* now, but crowded rooms tend to be noisy.
    Terry.

#97 4 years ago

I’m still finding it QUITE helpful, but this is mostly due to the previous thread postings, and the Owner’s club threads. Makes sense though - this place is a huge knowledge base!

I do think somehow there’s less “fun” going on here though, and I find it sad that some of the stalwarts have seemed to have moved on. These boards are only as good as the people who frequent them.

#98 4 years ago

I think Pinside is extremely helpful for tech issues, especially to help new comers gain confidence by connecting with others.

There is no substitute for opening the machines up, taking your time, documenting what you do, and learning hands on. But, Pinside can be the resource that makes you feel comfortable enough to do that. It certainly was for me.

#99 4 years ago

I find it very helpful and I wouldn't be playing at least 1/3 of the games I currently own or have owned in the past without their help. A couple people come into mind is Quench GRUMPY and more recently zacaj They've been there to help me out step by step. To pay it forward, I try to help with what I can. Sometimes it's real basic things, sometimes it takes more work. But I wouldn't have learned some of those things without the help from my own threads.

There are times where I will start a thread looking for help, but with the intention of breaking it down for myself. It's almost like I'm jinxing myself (in a good way) that if I start a thread, and continue to work and document the problem, that I'll eventually find the answer. The extra help is pudding.

The most recent event was a very simple answer, but the person posing the question didn't want to do any of the work himself, and went on cussing out everyone in that club thread (before and after the question). I found his answer (to prove him wrong) in the manual in about a minute. It's this kind of self-entitled, spoon-fed behavior that really rubs me wrong. Won't be helping that particular person in the future.

For new owners, you have to put in the work! We've all been there at one time. I'm no expert at anything, but I know a lot more than I did 2 years ago, and a good portion of that is due to this forum.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

This is the best attitude for pinball moving forward.

thanks
    Blake

There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-just-me-or-has-pinside-become-less-helpful/page/2?hl=spinout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.