(Topic ID: 77148)

is it just me or did i buy a lemon--i am at wits end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By henhel

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

5 weeks ago I wanted to get into the pin hobby so I did some research and my 4 YR. old grandson loves cars so I ended up buying a NASCAR pin from a person in the amusement field for $2300 AS IS--that was my first mistake---$850 later I just got my pin back fully shopped board and all (batteries had leaked, I was not aware of and he never offered up that little bit of info) been here two days we have been having a ball with it now in the middle of a game it just starts giving out pts. like its in some kind of bonus mode, I ended up with 128 million pts for the game. I called the guy he said it sounds like it is in the board. I do not know if I am the only one with these problems but I should have followed what I always tell my children---YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND I SEEM TO HAVE GOTTEN A LEMON!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had this pin for 5wks and maybe have played it a total of 5 hrs. Now here is my next dilemma --tomorrow I am suppose to go look at a WCS this time from a store, kind of makes me think twice seeing what I am going through with the first pin. Needed to get that off my chest I hope there are better pinball days ahead. Thanks for listening!!!

#2 10 years ago

Not sure how savvy you are, but open the diagnostics mode and go to switches...see if there's a switch stuck closed that is machine gunning you points (usually like an opto). Might need a bit of bending if its a regular switch or maybe a cleaning or resoldering if its an opto

#3 10 years ago

NASCAR is probably not a good first pin to own. That game is a mechanical nightmare in my opinion. For $2300 you did pretty good though i'd guess. If you are fed up with your game, i bet you can sell it easily for what you paid for it.

Owning pinball is going to require some maintenance. Maybe try meeting some fellow collectors near you, try and buy from them, and not a retail store.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

-tomorrow I am suppose to go look at a WCS this time from a store

Generally buying from a store has its advantages and disadvantages. Price is generally way higher, but many of the "stores" offer warranty and service. Depends on how much you want to spend and how much repair you want to learn.

Quoted from henhel:

now in the middle of a game it just starts giving out pts.

I would bet there is a playfield switch stuck somewhere. Turn the game off and back on and if a switch is stuck, you will see a report about it on the DMD right away.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

NASCAR is probably not a good first pin to own. That game is a mechanical nightmare in my opinion. For $2300 you did pretty good though i'd guess. If you are fed up with your game, i bet you can sell it easily for what you paid for it.

He said he paid $2300 and then stuck another $850 into it.

#6 10 years ago

Sounds like a stuck switch listen as well is it making the same noise over and over no matter what you hit check switch edges in diagnostics

#7 10 years ago

I agree. An opto aligned incorrectly= bonus points!!

#8 10 years ago

yes it is the same noise over an over like a crash noise.

#9 10 years ago

Check contact switches for the test car...the two targets to the right if the garage opening

#10 10 years ago

If a switch was stuck wouldn't it show up as a credit dot?

#11 10 years ago

Generally, I would not advise buying from a retail store. Post a want to buy ad on these forums and you will hopefully get better options. Most people on here are honest sellers and have nice working games in their collections. And ask lots of questions.
Also, search the marketplace to see what's for sale in your area.

#12 10 years ago

ITS A MIRACLE!!!! Just went in to try a few of the things and I literally took the glass off looked around did not touch anything started a game and it was playing fine. Now I know what it was doing what do you all think???? should I still have a tech come over????

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

If a switch was stuck wouldn't it show up as a credit dot?

Stern machines dont have a credit dot

#14 10 years ago

join a local pinball league , usually host are private individuals that let you into their homes , start asking who is selling , you'll be surprised how nice some people are and in helping you find a game

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

ITS A MIRACLE!!!! Just went in to try a few of the things and I literally took the glass off looked around did not touch anything started a game and it was playing fine. Now I know what it was doing what do you all think???? should I still have a tech come over????

I had an issue like this, started happening after I tightened a flipper. Regular play, flipper movements, etc, would cause points to generate. Banging on the playfield would cause points to generate. Finally traced it back to a switch that had its pieces too close together and they would fire with any movement on the game. Bent to adjust and all good.

There are ways to isolate that switch/trigger if it happens again, do points generate if NOTHING is happening, or just when playing? Try the playfield bang method to see if that generates points.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

Glad to hear it's working!

If it starts doing it again, it should be a pretty easy fix. No sense in calling a tech on this one. People here will be happy to talk you through it

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Stern machines dont have a credit dot

There's a "Credit star" though when you go into the menus.

#18 10 years ago

I'd play it until it happens again. A tech may not be able to find anything if it is not acting up. Just wasting his time and your money. The crashing sound is key. Listen as you play for that same sound. See if you can figure out what targets make that sound. Then, next time the game acts up, check those targets first to see if they are bent or stuck.

#19 10 years ago

Great idea, I do not know where I would be without all of you, Thanks again

#20 10 years ago

Pull the glass off and trigger each switch, drop target, bumper, etc. by hand and listen for the "crash" noise and see if something is sticking on.

#21 10 years ago

will do. Thanks

#22 10 years ago

You can get tremendous advice at Lanes and Games - Cambridge Mass (45 minutes from Providence..no traffic).
Main pinball mainstayers attend the 2nd to last Friday night of each month..for a social $5 tourney.

You will get great advice...and the owner of the arcade is usually on-hand and is a Stern distributor.
Plus...they have the latest titles..mostly all of them - in great condition.

I agree with another poster...buying from Amusement places is a bad move.
I personally like Nascar to play, but the pin has a bad reputation.
Out of 30-35 Stern pinballs from the 2K's - only 6 go for less than $3,000 on a regular basis...and Nascar is at the very top of this list. (Wheel of Fortune, World Poker Tour, Terminator 3, Ripley's, Monopoly).

T3 is a great game for the money...and made with far better contruction than Nascar.
You can just feel it in the shots, and the game.
Good luck with your next one....and there will be a next one.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Owning pinball is going to require some maintenance. Maybe try meeting some fellow collectors near you, try and buy from them, and not a retail store.

How do you meet local pinball people?

Put an ad on Craigslist "For Sale, Addams Family Pinball machine by Bally. Has original keys. $1,000 or best offer. Been in basement since we bought the house in 1994. Won't start up; it's probably a fuse somewhere. Bring several strong people. It's very heavy. "

When they start calling, tell them the first guy bought it, but you also have a NASCAR that needs a little tweaking. You'll meet lots of people.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Not sure how savvy you are, but open the diagnostics mode and go to switches...see if there's a switch stuck closed that is machine gunning you points (usually like an opto). Might need a bit of bending if its a regular switch or maybe a cleaning or resoldering if its an opto

My Flintstones was doing this and was indeed a drop target opto. Wire was not making good contact in the connector. Pushed it down and problem fixed.

#25 10 years ago

Buy from local hobbiests that come recommended! Become a tech.

#26 10 years ago

welcome to pinball

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

How do you meet local pinball people?
Put an ad on Craigslist "For Sale, Addams Family Pinball machine by Bally. Has original keys. $1,000 or best offer. Been in basement since we bought the house in 1994. Won't start up; it's probably a fuse somewhere. Bring several strong people. It's very heavy. "
When they start calling, tell them the first guy bought it, but you also have a NASCAR that needs a little tweaking. You'll meet lots of people.

I met local people through RGP and now Pinside. Just by posting, chatting, helping, meeting up at the bar to play some games etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Black Mountain, NC
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-just-me-or-did-i-buy-a-lemon-i-am-at-wits-end and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.