(Topic ID: 30865)

is it just infatuation or love for my roadshow?

By jamespin

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RobT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

RS, I can't get enough and even look forward to the music and I am a rocker. The build of these 90's Williams is superb and full of great toys and features. Anyone have this pin for a while and still love it?

#2 11 years ago

Yep. It is a fun pin for sure.

#3 11 years ago

Man I haven't played/seen a RS in a long long time.

#4 11 years ago

Its a great game no doubt. My only beef with the game is the shaker. I wish one of our talented people would re do the shaker code so it does not like rattle the house down lol.

#5 11 years ago

Yep on my tile floor it really does feel like a bulldozer

#6 11 years ago

I don't play it all the time but when I do, I love it. there is little chance I will dump the game.

this is hands down the best deal for a pin IMO, the fact that its a 2-3k range of pin is beyond me. the game is quite epic for the price*

*I say this in relation to today's insanity, how games like this get a poo-poo over AFM is beyond me in price comparison. personally I feel that 5k is the limit for top selling games. so this is my scale in relation to "epic"

and the dogging the "music" is a joke.. I love hitting jackpot.

#7 11 years ago

I have had my Roadshow for over a year and still love playing it even though I have the shaker disabled. Even on the soft setting it brings the house down. I might open it up and re-align the weights to make it more subtle or more like a Stern shaker.

#8 11 years ago

Cool game, but having 2 Rudys, each dressed like the same Village Person, actually creeps me out. I think its their marionette-style mouths that get me. They have one on location in Blaine.

#9 11 years ago

RS was my first pin. I had it for about 6 years and traded it. I still miss it, lots to do.

#10 11 years ago

I think its a great game and I miss it, but I do not miss the music or voices.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Its a great game no doubt. My only beef with the game is the shaker. I wish one of our talented people would re do the shaker code so it does not like rattle the house down lol.

There is a setting in the adjustments to turn it down. Works great. Mine was a sick rumbler.

Love RS

#12 11 years ago

Had RS for over two years and its still fun!

#13 11 years ago

Had mine for 10 months and finally sold it a month ago. I knew it was probably going to be a mistake but I'm addicted to trying new pins. It was a mistake! I miss it big time. Just a great, super fun pin!

Quoted from shlockdoc:

There is a setting in the adjustments to turn it down. Works great. Mine was a sick rumbler.
Love RS

I had mine set as low as possible, and it still shook the living crap out of the game.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I had mine set as low as possible, and it still shook the living crap out of the game.

Hell, I loved the shaker so much on RS that I installed a second one in the head, then routed more power to it from the transformer, then I had the code re-written to INCREASE the shaker strength and disable that low and medium setting crap, that's right, I wanted my neighbors and my neighbors neighbors to feel that $hit! I wanted it to feel like I was bustin' up the permafrost in Alaska!

And for the humor illiterate, I am kidding. Rs is a great game, miss mine very much, grats!!

#15 11 years ago

Glad to hear you added an extra shaker because as I was playing today I wished I could turn it up! Many here feel the opposite so I am glad I am not alone

Hey The Law, you are not to far away, Maybe when I get the game room straightened around you can make the road trip to play some road show!

#16 11 years ago

My 2nd pin, and my favorite. Mine suddenly went crazy on me yesterday so we're in a rough spot in our relationship right now, but it will pass.

#17 11 years ago

I think RS is one of Pat Lawlor's best games. Better than Funhouse. Lots of cool shots and a really entertaining theme.

#18 11 years ago

Yup, Red is sexy in her wife beater.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from jamespin:

RS, I can't get enough and even look forward to the music and I am a rocker. The build of these 90's Williams is superb and full of great toys and features. Anyone have this pin for a while and still love it?

I thought it was just a Summer fling. But I guess you really do love your RS.

LTG : )

#20 11 years ago

almost 2 years now and still a favorite to play!

Putting some carpet sliders (cushioned ones) help with the shaking.. and putting it on the low setting.

#21 11 years ago

I just picked up a pretty nice one on Sunday for $1.6k. I'm enjoying it tremendously so far. My family used to play it all the time at the Forest Fair Mall in Cincinnati, so it has a lot of sentimental value too.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I just picked up a pretty nice one on Sunday for $1.6k. I'm enjoying it tremendously so far. My family used to play it all the time at the Forest Fair Mall in Cincinnati, so it has a lot of sentimental value too.

very nice collection you have there!

Ps, where did you find one so cheap?

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from BlindVoyeur:

Yep on my tile floor it really does feel like a bulldozer

Buy the rubber feet / pads from pinballife. My RS is on a ceramic tile floor over concrete and without the rubber pads the shaker REALLY gets attention.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Yup, Red is sexy in her wife beater.

YUCK !

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from jamespin:

very nice collection you have there!

Ps, where did you find one so cheap?

Thanx. I heard about a couple who were not playing it anymore and wanted to change the use of their gameroom. This game was never advertised, so as with most good deals, patience is the key.

#26 11 years ago

good pin I want one, at the right price.

#27 11 years ago

I have wanted one for a while. Look at everything you get in this machine.

#28 11 years ago

We had one in a pizza place I used to manage in Chicago...spent plenty of hours after close playing the game! The tilt was very loose too so the games would last a good long time

every little dream i dream about you...

For the most part i dislike country music but hearing that song after jackpot was still satisfying and I didn't mind having it in my head for a while.

#29 11 years ago

Yep, great game with lots of great shots and great humour.

Also love how many modes it has. Awesome pin!

#30 11 years ago

This game is awesome. My favorite pin by far. I think it's hilarious how people talk smack about the music. It's very fitting to the theme. The creepiness just adds to the appeal of the machine in my mind. The whole theme itself is supposed to be over the top wacky and the music just adds to it. My friends can't get enough of the machine. I love tilting the machine when Ted says "now that's pinball". Everytime someone new comes over, I love tilting the game so they can hear that. It's so funny. The game also has so many shots that make it very satisfying to play. I love the ramp shot through the bumpers. My machine is on carpet so the shaker motor is perfect. I love how the programmers really captured the theme thru the programming of the shaker motor. At the start of multi-ball it feels like there is a bulldozer in my gameroom. It's just amazing. I can't speak high enough of this game.

#31 11 years ago

I love Roadshow, I owned it for about 6 months and played it constantly. Its a great game, but it wore on me after awile to the point of me not even wanting to turn it on anymore. I actually love the theme song and I do not like country music at all. Sold it to Rob T and he uncharacteristically kept it for probably the longest time of any of his pins. I think I just got tired of it due to its linear play. Same thing pretty much every time, gets old after awile unless you are making it across country every game. I am going through the same issue with my W?D right now, great game, just wearing on me.

#32 11 years ago

Hands down the best pin I have ever owned. I shouldn't have ever sold it

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from jamespin:

I've had mine for about 4 years...still love it! It's in my garage right now as it's having some board issues...but as soon as I fix it I'd like to bring it back in again. It's just a CHARMING game and like you - I'm no country fan but I LOVE the music...it just fits the theme and personality of the game and puts me in a good mood!

#34 11 years ago

It's kinda interesting how many people in this thread say they love they game but no longer own it. I'm in the same boat -- owned one for a year or two, sold it, think back on it pretty fondly. I'm always excited to play it again when I see one at a show or on location. And yet I almost never played it when I actually had it. I loved the layout, the sound and art package, the bridge-out combos and some of the modes. It has a lot of mechs and a lot going on, and just feels like a great value. But I hated the linearity, the lack of difficulty (almost every time I played it took 30+ minutes even with the settings pretty brutal), the bizarrely pointless (super jackpot notwithstanding) Red mouth shot, etc. It has a lot of great elements that bring about nice memories, but it doesn't totally hold up for me as a complete package. I think there's a good reason it's $2k-ish, and it's not just because of the goofy theme and music. It really feels like the buy-in was at the forefront of the design, with as many modes crammed in as possible in hopes that people would keep buying in to "see it all," like plugging $5 into the Ninja Turtles arcade game to see the ending. The linearity that resulted makes it a kinda boring and predictable game for more experienced players.

That said, I think everyone should own one for a year or two until they get bored with it. I actually just bought my old Road Show back to put on location, and I'm excited to see how it does! I'll be happy to play the occasional game on it when I show up to clean and fix it.

#35 11 years ago

Still love mine. And I actually feel like shooting for the modes unlike in my TZ. In TZ most of them
are too risky for the points you can get so it's better to shoot for other things while the time runs out.
Not so in RS.
Good value for money.

#36 11 years ago

I had never played RS but noticed it was fairly popular on the IPDB. Therefore I started scouting around for one. Eventually I found one on ebay advertised as mint. Of course I was skeptical and sent an email inquiry. Eventually I was able to speak directly to the seller and he assured me it was very nice. I was nervous about shipping it all the way across the country but the seller did the most awesome job packing and NAVL did their part. Opening it was like a kid at Christmas and I was not disappointed. No dings and the machine looks marvelous. Even still has the accessory bag stapled on the inside! I have had it nearly a year now and still learning the game. I do enjoy it but also agree you do need time to play it because it is pretty forgiving. I liked the Carlene Carter song when it came and out and still like it so pretty stoked to hit MB. Although it is not my favorite game to play, it is by far my best condition pin so sometimes I find myself just looking at it (wishing my other pins could look so good). Where someone had this stashed away 20 years is beyond my imagination. I don't ever see letting this one go.

#37 11 years ago

Why is it that Red looks so much better on the translight than she does on the playfield?

#38 11 years ago

Just sold mine after having it for about 3 years....longest I ever held on to a pin. Great game! I really had to think long and hard before letting it go.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I love roadshow, I owned it for about 6 months and played it constantly. Its a great game, but it wore on me after awile to the point of me not even wanting to turn it on anymore. I actually love the theme song and I do not like country music at all. Sold it to Rob T and he uncharacteristically kept it for probably the longest time of any of his pins. I think I just got tired of it due to its linear play. Same thing pretty much every time, gets old after awile unless you are making it across country every game. I am going through the same issue with my W?D right now, great game, just wearing on me.

Yep, I just finally sold it after having it for a lot longer than I even thought I would own it. Still loved the pin right up to the point that I sold it. I did not sell it because I was tired of it either. Rather, I sold it because I am addicted to trying new pins, and RS was really next in line considering how long I had had it compared to most of my other pins and being just a tad lower on the totem pole in terms of pins that I liked more.

But what is interesting is that I have already sold the pin that replaced RS (WoF), and the WoF has been replaced with a DM. WoF lasted less than 2 months.

Chad, your RS was in *excellent* condition! Adding LEDs to it really brought it to life. Just a cool, fun pin.

The linearity never bothered me much, other than when I first got it and couldn't do anything. Once you are able to progress through the game, it isn't an issue (for me).

Quoted from Rarehero:

I've had mine for about 4 years...still love it! It's in my garage right now as it's having some board issues...but as soon as I fix it I'd like to bring it back in again. It's just a CHARMING game and like you - I'm no country fan but I LOVE the music...it just fits the theme and personality of the game and puts me in a good mood!

Charming is a great word to describe the theme on RS. Americana is another. Also completely agree on the music fitting the theme and personality of the pin perfectly. Don't make the same mistake I did. Don't sell!

I still maintain that RS is the best bang for the buck pin out there bar none. Of course opinions will differ on that, and the theme just doesn't do it for some. But man, this pin is the "kitchen sink" of pins!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.95
$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-just-infatuation-or-love-for-my-roadshow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.