(Topic ID: 273082)

Is it fair to review a game that you haven't played in a home environm

By majicman110

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Just taking an honest look at myself I went back and read some of my early reviews from when I entered the hobby in 2015 and WOW. I basically had to revise or delete every review.
    Some games that I had reviewed I had only played on location a couple of times and had absolutely NO business reviewing. Now, I don't play in a league, and when I play on location, I usually don't play more than two or three games in on any given machine. So, for me, I can't see myself putting enough time in on a modern location game to give a decent review.
    I know there are probably a lot of flawed review approaches, (like people rating new purchases high because they want that word form of self validation) but do you guys think it is fair to review a game without putting in substantial time on it?

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

but do you guys think it is fair to review a game without putting in substantial time on it?

This is an honest, albeit talked aboot to death, thought. The title of the thread is a totally diff'rent and insane question.

#3 3 years ago

It’s not fair to review a game that doesn’t have complete code. Other than that, review away.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s not fair to review a game that doesn’t have complete code.

Uff, don't open the door to another "when is code really complete" debate that has diff'rent answers for everyone!

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Uff, don't open the door to another "when is code really complete" debate that has diff'rent answers for everyone!

Agreed. Just a personal preference thing. Feature complete sans bug fixes and balancing I guess. Like I would review TMNT right now but not Stranger Things.

#7 3 years ago

Whatever you think the right way to review is your own. You'll never get everyone to agree so it's all kind of pointless to talk aboot.
    EDIT: or "academic" as they say?

#8 3 years ago

Sure it's fair. What's the option, to buy em all??

#9 3 years ago

"The world needs ditch diggers too, Danny."

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

"The world needs ditch diggers too, Danny."

In one physical model, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.......in the opposite direction

Unbelievable

Thank you very little.

#11 3 years ago

You need some quality time to properly review a game. Rough first impressions can be fun too.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s not fair to review a game that doesn’t have complete code. Other than that, review away.

If it’s ready to be sold for 6k+ then it’s ready to be reviewed.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

If it’s ready to be sold for 6k+ then it’s ready to be reviewed.

And anyone can. Review away. I choose not to.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

This is an honest, albeit talked aboot to death, thought. The title of the thread is a totally diff'rent and insane question.

I guess i have just never gotten the "full game experience" on location. I can never hear the sound because it is in a packed bar, plus i suck at pinball, so i never get deep enough into the game to get a great feel for rules etc.

#15 3 years ago

Its not that hard... Just qualify your review when you make it. Unless its stranger things... it won't matter what model or where you play that thing, people will understand why the review is negative.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

I guess i have just never gotten the "full game experience" on location. I can never hear the sound because it is in a packed bar, plus i suck at pinball, so i never get deep enough into the game to get a great feel for rules etc.

And thus the problem, not everyone sucks at pinball Not everyone needs a game in their/friends' home to learn it, enjoy it, get a feeling for it. You don't have to be really good for that to happen either; not everyone is lucky enough to have home games to play and plenty love heading out into the wild to play.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m going to go review Wheel of Fortune right now just to defy your comment.
    Bwahahahahahaha.

#18 3 years ago

I don't know anyone who could hate a game on site but then love it at home. If that does happen then the initial hate was fabricated. The only thing for me anyway is that I enjoyed it on site then enjoyed it even more at home. Better sound, better atmosphere, better drinks and other things to enhance the experience, and by other things I of course mean an interesting hat or maybe some a new sweater, not drugs. Never.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

Not every review needs to be the same. Most of them suck because they are exactly the same.

Be the guy who reviews games at bars and sucks at pinball and can’t hear the game and reviews that experience. It would at least be a different perspective, and for plenty of people, that’s how they experience pinball.

Pinball is sagging under boring, self-important, similar pundits who all try to do the same shit. What’s missing from this field is entertainment value. Trying to provide some should be the only goal, not being the 68th person making deep dive into the rules or analyzing every square inch of “world under glass” or obsessing about “build quality” or fighting a DCMA injunction because of the perfect sound coming from the perfect rig.

#20 3 years ago

Why not?
    Pinball began in arcades, a few games then move on to the next machine
    it should not take reading an instruction manual to work out if a game is fun or not (looking at you LOTR)

#21 3 years ago

Seeing as folks might use the reviews to help decide if they want to invest the money to buy a game, a review based on home use experience would be the most valuable. I don’t need a review to help me decide if I want to drop a coin in a machine at an arcade.

#22 3 years ago

Definitely a factor, and why the ratings on pinside are particularly meaningless.

I don't know if it needs to be a home environment, and that potentially doesn't mean much either. Certainly a home environment is one of the only locatiosn where you can truly appreeciate the sound from the machine.

The real key factors are:

1 - Having someone explain the rules of the game, | OR | having enough playtime to really explore the game.
    2 - Mechanically functioning 100%
    3 - A good fast setup.

So many reviews are based on these large shows, where operators bring truckloads of machines, they don't always have time to set everything up well, and people trying to give the games a try just kind of get one play, and then you have other people waiting... yet so many reviews are based on these 'show' plays. ...

But I digress, it is what it is.. and that is why the ratings mean nothing

#23 3 years ago

If there is a market for games on location then rating them having only played them on location is fair. Games like MM, AFM, MB rate well because they play well on location and home. Instant gratification.
    If manufacturers put out new games for sale with shitty code, ratings on location get punished and that’s fair too in my book.
    For me, the comments say more than the scores.

#24 3 years ago

I don't need to bring a wwe into my house to know it sux

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-fair-to-review-a-game-that-you-haven-t-played-in-a-home-environm?hl=7oxford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.