• 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

StuckBall-In-The-ShooterLane-1.jpg
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Maybe not, but you don't want people that make great code not to be allowed to play in tournaments; that may come back to bite us

I'm not saying that I don't want people make great code to not to be allowed to play in tournaments. Just saying that in other non pinball events it's people like that and more.

Also big events need judges who not not playing in event to make rulings as well.

The NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB has refs that are not playing in the events also the players are union and have say in the rules as well.

Gameshows have lot's of rules to make so people can't get insider info. Just saying if some day there was some BIG pinball event they may have to look into issues like that. Or at the very least have non playing judges to make rulings.

#102 9 years ago

It's not cheating when it's in the

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from DutchTommy:

Fair enough ok,. Agree.. Director playing pinball tournament at an public venue, yeah thats something i can see as non cheating.. But running an tournament as an host at ur own house fullfilled with pins is another story dont you guys think?

I think I am VERY grateful for anyone that invites a bunch of people into their home to play on their immaculate personal collection AND to organize and clean up after the entire event!

I think if you precieve it as an unfair advantage then you would be doing everyone else a favor if you did not show up.

I think of all the events I have hosted I have done well in one and the majority of the time it is a huge disadvantage to be playing when you are more worried about others having a good time, games playing well, score keeping, adressing issues, the ocassional ungrateful visitor, clogged toilets, out of beer, food not just right or some have dietary restrictions, ... you get the point.

Hosting any event is boat loads of work and I am thankful for anyone willing to do so and think they deserve any perceived but completely fair advantage the get for hosting.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

some have dietary restrictions

Man, thank you for pointing that out, as someone that has a kid that has peanut, egg, milk, and soy food allergies.. =|

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

I'm not saying that I don't want people make great code to not to be allowed to play in tournaments. Just saying that in other non pinball events it's people like that and more.
Also big events need judges who not not playing in event to make rulings as well.
The NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB has refs that are not playing in the events also the players are union and have say in the rules as well.
Gameshows have lot's of rules to make so people can't get insider info. Just saying if some day there was some BIG pinball event they may have to look into issues like that. Or at the very least have non playing judges to make rulings.

Some day is the right term. Pinball isn't big enough now to be able to have paid officials, like those other sports you mentioned. Even so, at big tournaments like Pinburgh and PAPA, the tournament directors don't compete. Thank Bowen and Kevin the next time you see them.

If IFPA came out now and said tournament directors or hosts can't compete in their own event, the number of tournaments would drop noticeably. Most all tournament directors are players. If they can't play in their own tourney, what point would there be to enduring all the hassles of organizing a tournament? If you want paid officials, play in as many tournaments as you can and support location pinball. Home buyers alone won't be enough. We need non-owners competing too if we want to continue the growth.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Some day is the right term. Pinball isn't big enough now to be able to have paid officials, like those other sports you mentioned. Even so, at big tournaments like Pinburgh and PAPA, the tournament directors don't compete. Thank Bowen and Kevin the next time you see them.
If IFPA came out now and said tournament directors or hosts can't compete in their own event, the number of tournaments would drop noticeably. Most all tournament directors are players. If they can't play in their own tourney, what point would there be to enduring all the hassles of organizing a tournament? If you want paid officials, play in as many tournaments as you can and support location pinball. Home buyers alone won't be enough. We need non-owners competing too if we want to continue the growth.

It not about needing paid officials or even unpaid non playing ones at each event it's more of stuff that may be needed at some big events down the road (say pinball keeps getting bigger and bigger) also let's say there is a big event with lot's of sponsors there may be some legal issues that may force the issue at least big evens. The smaller stuff for the most part is fine as it is now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-considered-cheating-when/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.