(Topic ID: 259685)

Is it bad to use small grit sandpaper on a circuit board?

By cyberslunk

9 days ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by amxfc3s
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

spin relay (resized).png

#1 9 days ago

For instance, at the arrow point on a Spin-A-Card Spin Relay. It is really dirty on mine and want it to make good contact with the spinning switch.

spin relay (resized).png
#2 9 days ago

I use 600 or finer in that situation and then clean residue with alcohol and the put tiny amount of superlube on rivets. Had that game before, really fun.

#3 9 days ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I use 600 or finer in that situation and then clean residue with alcohol and the put tiny amount of superlube on rivets. Had that game before, really fun.

Nice, good to know that won't mess it up. That's sweet, yeah i like it a lot despite it's age. Glad to hear you did too

#4 8 days ago

I wouldn't sand it unless it's causing a problem.

#5 8 days ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I wouldn't sand it unless it's causing a problem.

For sure, I originally thought it might be but think it's the Spinner Unit itself inside the cab.

#6 8 days ago

I usually clean with a degreaser (simple green) to remove any grime. For tarnished contacts, I'll use a pink rubber eraser. That way, it doesn't thin the material. Sanding is my absolute last resort, and I generally only use it if a contact is scorched from sparking.

#7 8 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I usually clean with a degreaser (simple green) to remove any grime. For tarnished contacts, I'll use a pink rubber eraser. That way, it doesn't thin the material. Sanding is my absolute last resort, and I generally only use it if a contact is scorched from sparking.

Yknow now that you mention it, that's originally why I wanted to do this is because one side of the board had scorch marks. What causes this sparking and is there a way to prevent it?

#8 8 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

+1 for eraser rubber!

#9 8 days ago

Try to work your way through white/green scotchbrite pads before you go sandpaper. They have a lighter touch.

#10 8 days ago

Scotchbrite green pad works well to shine up the surface, but you must clean well afterward.

#11 8 days ago

fiberglass scratch brushes are also good to have on hand

ebay.com link » 5 Jewelers Nylon Fiberglass Scratch Brush Pen Type

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Lighting - Interactive
TheDudeMods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 50.00
$ 8.99
Lighting - Other
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 248.85
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside