(Topic ID: 207916)

Is it a sin to retheme an already great game?

By PACMAN

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B10320F2-AD02-41F8-B5B4-9E8A3EACEBCF (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6166 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5258 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6162 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4959 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4958 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4957 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4772 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4690 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4684 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3089 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2728 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

So i've seen a bunch of rethemed games. The graphics and sound, etc. are redone but it seems only kinda lame games (game-play wise) are rethemed.

I'd like to do a couple myself, but to good playing games with weak themes like CONGO, FLASH GORDON and THE SHADOW.

What do you guys think?

#2 6 years ago

With your skills do that shit!!

I am you would do it justice!!

#3 6 years ago

Of that list I would guess Most would say don’t... but given the quality of your work I say go for it. Probably end up with something far better.

#4 6 years ago

Only if the game is already trashed.

Otherwise it's kind of tragic to do that to a serviceable game--especially ones that are popular and hard to obtain.

#5 6 years ago

Nope, do what you want with your stuff.

#6 6 years ago

Blasphemy!

Thou shalt not retheme The Shadow!

#7 6 years ago

If it's thrashed, go for it. Makes more sense to start with a good playing title then to sink a bunch of work into a game no one wants to play.

As Forceflow said, just don't destroy one in better than average shape. Maybe find a thrashed playfield to make the change if you already own a nice one.

#8 6 years ago

Only a sin if you screw it up and create, well a lesser machine.
    Create Art and a unique one of a Kind re-theme, the crowd will rejoice your efforts.

#9 6 years ago

None of the pins you mentioned are rare.
    Go for it.

#10 6 years ago

The Main reason im in this hobby!

IMG_2728 (resized).JPGIMG_2728 (resized).JPG

IMG_3089 (resized).JPGIMG_3089 (resized).JPG

IMG_4684 (resized).JPGIMG_4684 (resized).JPG

IMG_4690 (resized).JPGIMG_4690 (resized).JPG

IMG_4772 (resized).JPGIMG_4772 (resized).JPG

IMG_4957 (resized).JPGIMG_4957 (resized).JPG

IMG_4958 (resized).JPGIMG_4958 (resized).JPG

IMG_4959 (resized).JPGIMG_4959 (resized).JPG

IMG_6162 (resized).JPGIMG_6162 (resized).JPG

IMG_5258 (resized).JPGIMG_5258 (resized).JPG

IMG_6166 (resized).JPGIMG_6166 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago

It's your money and your machine so it doesn't really matter what we think. I say go for it one less shadow isn't going to hurt if any thing you will make it better.

#12 6 years ago

I'd love to see a rethemed Congo.... But what about the game code?

#13 6 years ago

Do it!

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Only if the game is already trashed.
    Otherwise it's kind of tragic to do that to a serviceable game--especially ones that are popular and hard to obtain.

No offense, man, but tragic? Seriously. It's just a pinball machine.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

What do you guys think?

I think its a great idea, I'm considering buying a Met pro and making into a Slayer Pin, with the voices turned down new art and changing the music I think it would work.

#16 6 years ago

PiperPinball I would love to see a thread of a step by step how you do the playfield art and side art with materials etc. I assume its some kind of overlay then cleared but not sure.Amazing work there buddy.

#17 6 years ago

Those are some cool rethemes. I see the t2 in the background, You have more pix of that one, very cool looking?

#18 6 years ago

I’ve always thought STTNG would be an awaesome pin with a refreshed theme.

#19 6 years ago

I’ve been considering buying a Stern Kiss to retheme into a music machine of my liking.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from MMGB:

I’ve always thought STTNG would be an awaesome pin with a refreshed theme.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#21 6 years ago

Is it a sin?

I asked God, and hes cool with it.....plays pinball too!

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

Those are some cool rethemes. I see the t2 in the background, You have more pix of that one, very cool looking?

#23 6 years ago

I expressly chose a game no one would miss and made it way better. If a game is good already, why mess with success?

#24 6 years ago

Pacman,

I'm in the camp of supporting your decision to re-theme a game you love but are unhappy with its current aesthetics.

I too, am in the same situation. I picked up a Gottlieb Team One Pinball and really enjoy the gameplay and rules, however, the artwork is horrible. Considered fairly rare, with lesson 600 or so produced, it's in fine shape. I struggled with the decision to re-theme, but decided to move forward when I realized that each time I played the machine, I thought about how much more I would enjoy it if the artwork appealed to me.

Move forward, re-theme it, and share your vision with others. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Rody

#25 6 years ago

Yeah... I don't really care how good the rules are, some games just need a swift kick in the Theme/Art department. Prime example of why I'm using WPT if I ever get my Voltron project off the ground. It's great rules and layout, but absolutely terrible art, dots, and sound really.

#26 6 years ago

Would be a shame to change a game in great shape but, I am all for re-theming. It keeps a pin out of the dumpster. BTW, I love your HH and Getaway re-themes.

#27 6 years ago

I assume that there is a pinsound board in that T2. Tied the gattling guns with the skill shot gun, wow stunning work. I want to buy that mod and don't even own a T2!

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I'd love to see a rethemed Congo.... But what about the game code?

I was thinking the same thing (but with The Shadow). Would you redo the code as well, so that it fits the new theme? Sounds complicated, but I've seen it done (and done well). What new themes are you considering?

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I was thinking the same thing (but with The Shadow). Would you redo the code as well, so that it fits the new theme? Sounds complicated, but I've seen it done (and done well). What new themes are you considering?

I thought about retheming a Congo into Star Wars Rouge One or Empire Strikes back or another killer Goonies retheme.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

The Main reason im in this hobby!

I can't believe that 4 people have given a "thumbs down" to your works of art. You've created some masterpieces. Who cares if there's one less beat up High Speed or T2 out there. I appreciate your creativity and vision. Your creations are amazing and if you ever consider parting with one, please let me know.

QSS

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I can't believe that 4 people have given a "thumbs down" to your works of art.

I don't know how it still surprises you... Pinside is full of grumpy people!

#32 6 years ago

For my re-theme, the initial plan to use a cheaper title as my donor game. I bought a Hollywood Heat and later a Spring Break. My logic was it would be easy to find and cheap so if I screw it up then no big loss. However after I played them for a while I thought they weren't as fun I would have liked so I sold them.

I came to the realization that if I'm going to spend a bunch time (way more time than you think it will take) and money re-themeing something it better be a fun/great game to start with. Even the best theme imaginable theme can't save a boring layout or rule set (I'm looking at you Back to The Future). So I decided to use a Williams Diner as the donor game for my Ash Vs Evil Dead. A huge advantage with a more modern game like Diner is that it works with pinsound so its way easier to customize music and speech.

Speaking of Ash vs Evil Dead, Starz finally released the official season 3 trailer. Feb 25'th can't get here fast enough. Groovy!

#33 6 years ago

Love my lethal weapon 3 I just got.
    But buying another and retheming it to an original Beverly Hills Cop has definitely crossed my mind. Imagine the callbacks on BHC - “it’s the banana in he tailpipe” axles laugh, the theme song music. Love that movie.

#34 6 years ago

I'd love to see any of these with different code.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deiterd2:

But buying another and retheming it to an original Beverly Hills Cop has definitely crossed my mind. Imagine the callbacks on BHC - “it’s the banana in he tailpipe” axles laugh, the theme song music. Love that movie.

B10320F2-AD02-41F8-B5B4-9E8A3EACEBCF (resized).pngB10320F2-AD02-41F8-B5B4-9E8A3EACEBCF (resized).png

Do it! I would love to see a Beverly Hills Cop pin.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deiterd2:

It's NOT a sin to retheme a NOT great game.

Quoted from J85M:

Do it! I would love to see a Beverly Hills Cop pin.

It's a sin to retheme any game to a worse theme.

#37 6 years ago

Go for it! There's great examples of this already, just have fun

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

So I decided to use a Williams Diner as the donor game for my Ash Vs Evil Dead.

Played at Pintastic and it was fantastic. I'm all for a great re-theme.
    -Mike

#39 6 years ago

Why not?
    these are games are not rare, or museum pieces

you can do what you like to your game

#40 6 years ago

The Cars retheme is amazing and my kids would love one! My wife cares nothing about pinball but asked if we could get a Cars pin...

#41 6 years ago

The original creators were not Gods. They are fallable and their resources were not limitless. Might you make it worse? Sure. Anything is possible.

I think you should do what makes you happy. Isn't that why we own and play pinball machines? For happiness? If you can increase your own enjoyment by modifying something that is your own personal property, and it doesn't hurt someone else, then go for it.

Then again, this isn't just a hypothetical for me

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I can't believe that 4 people have given a "thumbs down" to your works of art. You've created some masterpieces. Who cares if there's one less beat up High Speed or T2 out there. I appreciate your creativity and vision. Your creations are amazing and if you ever consider parting with one, please let me know.
    QSS

Thank you!

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

For my re-theme, the initial plan to use a cheaper title as my donor game. I bought a Hollywood Heat and later a Spring Break. My logic was it would be easy to find and cheap so if I screw it up then no big loss. However after I played them for a while I thought they weren't as fun I would have liked so I sold them.
    I came to the realization that if I'm going to spend a bunch time (way more time than you think it will take) and money re-themeing something it better be a fun/great game to start with. Even the best theme imaginable theme can't save a boring layout or rule set (I'm looking at you Back to The Future). So I decided to use a Williams Diner as the donor game for my Ash Vs Evil Dead. A huge advantage with a more modern game like Diner is that it works with pinsound so its way easier to customize music and speech.
    Speaking of Ash vs Evil Dead, Starz finally released the official season 3 trailer. Feb 25'th can't get here fast enough. Groovy!
    » YouTube video

All the pins I retheme have pinsound cards in them. One of the most enjoyable parts is customizing all the call outs and music. My custom mini-gun T2 sound track has evolved alot more from that video link above. Ill make another video soon.

Ive thought about getting a STTNG and retheme it into what Steve Richie was orginally designing it for> Under Siege. That would be a fun project. But STTNG is already a great theme and game. Congo or Johnny mnemonic or Shadow

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

None of the pins you mentioned are rare.

I've had my eye out for a Congo and Flash Gordon for ages. Haven't been able to get my hands on either one yet. I did manage to find a shadow in the last year, but they have been getting harder to find since they tend to stay put in collections.

In terms of the original production numbers, yes, there were a lot of them made. However, they haven't been that easy to find today.

11 months later
    #45 5 years ago

My most desired rethemes would be harry potter, the godfather, or Zelda.

Why dont these exist?????

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-a-sin-to-retheme-an-already-great-game?hl=jeep-mustang and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.