(Topic ID: 237811)

Is isopropyl and Flour OK for 6803 playfield paint?

By Oldschool77

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I've only done mylar removal once, many years back on a Whirlwind...it sucked but i got through it. Just picked up a D&D (Bally 6803) that has the mylar pulled by the previous owner, but he didn't remoove any of the glue (it's fresh and still somewhat tacky so that's good at least). I'm not familar with 6803 pf finishes (my first one) so my question is if it's safe or not to use the isopropyl and flour method on it? It seems to be in super nice shape and the paint seems higher quality than most system 11s i've seen.....other than he lifted half the insert art yanking the mylar off.

Anyone have 6803 mylar removal experience?

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

I just removed the mylar on an eight ball champ, early 6803 game. It was terrible trying to remove that adhesive. I used plenty of goo gone, iso alcohol, and flour. someone told me to get the high strength goo gone but I didn't. I wish I did. It took me many hours of carefully scraping with plastic razor and it did suffer very minor damage which was easily repairable. Anyway, I hope your adhesive is a little more forgiving.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

I just removed the mylar on an eight ball champ, early 6803 game. It was terrible trying to remove that adhesive. I used plenty of goo gone, iso alcohol, and flour. someone told me to get the high strength goo gone but I didn't. I wish I did. It took me many hours of carefully scraping with plastic razor and it did suffer very minor damage which was easily repairable. Anyway, I hope your adhesive is a little more forgiving.

Good to know, thank you! It's very thin adhesive (can't even tell it's there untill you touch the PF), which i would think is worse because there's not much there to "ball up". Should be fun!!

#4 5 years ago

I removed the mylar from my Party Animal a couple of months ago. I used a hair dryer to warm it, and it came off easily. There wasn't much residue, and what there was came off with goo gone and a plastic razor blade.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

I removed the mylar from my Party Animal a couple of months ago. I used a hair dryer to warm it, and it came off easily. There wasn't much residue, and what there was came off with goo gone and a plastic razor blade.

Did you use the regular strength goo gone spray gel, or the goo gone power pro spray gel?

#6 5 years ago

Regular strength. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, and scraped away the excess adhesive.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Regular strength. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, and scraped away the excess adhesive.

Sweet thanks!

#8 5 years ago

Update for all that are curious...and your results may vary......the goo gone pro power (all they had at my Home Depot) gel and flour method didn't put a dent in the mylar glue even after letting it sit for various lengths of time. So i moved onto 91% Isopropyl and flour........worked better, but i kinda felt like the flour was hindering things (may of been user error too). Next I went with straight isopropyl applied liberally and directly onto the PF....and this worked amazing! I let it sit for about 3 mins, went behind with a small plastic paint scraper, and 90% of it came right off. Then i soaked down the same area again and used a rag to wipe off the rest. I did about 1/3 of the PF in about a half hour once i got the process down.

On a side note, for all the crap people give these 6803 games for their cost cutting and cheapness (myself included), the PF paint, in my opinion, seems very robust and resilient comparted to my dealings with system 11 paint.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-isopropyl-and-flour-ok-for-6803-playfield-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.