(Topic ID: 133138)

Is interest in pinball temporary?

By littlecammi

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 8 years ago

For myself, I started collecting 11-12 years ago, initially there was a local dealer who often got new games and I was able to buy and trade every so often. But after 4-5 years he left the area. I did not really know about Pinside, although I was a member I never looked here, I didn't know or have contact with the community so when that one guy left the area, I was stuck with 5 games for a number of years. Call it 5 years with the same 5 games.

Those were IJ, TZ, TOTAN, CFTBL and POTC. Over time, I must have got tired of the same 5 games and also there were some intermittent bugs or issues and finally some of the games didn't work at all. Also during this period, I didn't play much and was more out of the hobby than at any point.

Finally, I said to myself, maybe sell the pins and get back some money. But as I did that, I found Pinside again and found that a lot had changed in those 5 years. I found out about WoZ (still in the planning stage) and AcDc had just come out and XM was just about to come out. I also found out that my old pins were worth about what I paid (maybe more).

I could have fixed those older pins but as I'd had some 10 years at the time, I elected to sell all my older pins (also the ones that were not working as well) and kept Potc which was the only one I had bough new so it was still 99% like new.

I got XMLE, Tron, AcDc premium, SM, STLE, IMVE and TSPP (to add to my POTC).

This all occurred over 3 years, and I play more than ever. I still don't play a ton, but I have such a big collection, that I can not really get tired of my games. I mean if I am tired of PotC for example, I won't play it for a few weeks and then get back on it for a few games.

I got back a good deal of money from my 4 old games (almost enough to buy 3 new games).

I am much better at understanding the rules now, so I'm more interested in trying stuff out and keeping the games I have. I don't have one that I'd like to sell. I would like to buy more, but realistically 8-9 is all I think I need. At least because I don't play a ton. I could keep each game another 5-10 years easy so they are keepers to me. The time may come when my saturation point hits and I don't want to add any more (maybe that's 9 total) and then I'll need to think about selling some to get new pins. But for now it's all aces.

I do appreciate that pins, while expensive, not gonna lie. But at least I feel that I'm not throwing money away like I feel with my pool or hot tub where the end result is a pool that costs ungodly amount of money every year and does not get used a ton, and a hot tub is something that is used rarely as well, but I won't see a fraction of the price if I wanted to get rid of it.

I have had a nice car (several) and to me, they are not really worth the costs. I'd rather have basic transportation and nice pinball collection then have a really nice car and no pins.

#37 8 years ago

My biggest issue, is with mods for my games.

I got the subs and the few key mods for each game, but the question is when is enough? Do I need chrome on my Tron armor? Do I need LEDs on my Tspp? Do I need color DMD on my games (I have on AcDc and it's fantastic). Do I need Invisible glass?

I know, that I'll get enjoyment out of the mods, but they add an extra layer of cost and in total, would add up to a whole new game (I mean the cost of the mods add up to several thousand dollars when you have 8 pins).

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from KennyL:

This comes up a lot in the automotive hobby, as far as how many mods is "too many" or how much of something is "too much". I say, it's your car/pin. If you want to deck it out with all the modifications possible and YOU enjoy that, then that amount of mods is perfectly fine.
    As far as money allotment, it is true that you could spend less on each and have more games but it's kind of like quantity over quality. Will you look at your extra large number of pins and think "you know, I could have modified the ones I had more"? Modding is it's own sickness (just like pinball ), I can't see having a completely stock car so I bet my first pins will be the very same.

In my mind, I'd prefer to mod a game if I feel it's a keeper, such as Tron.

Anohter point sometimes overlooked about the pro vs premium debate, while the pro is better bang for buck, I find that the premium/LE often need much less mods. For example my XMLE has no mods except shaker and my STLE has just the blackout mod, the lighted Vengeance. By contrast my Tron while very cheap I had to add LED kit, Arcade, ELI ramp kit and will be adding chrome armor, PF supports and maybe shaker. So the Tron will end up in the $6K+ range despite an initial cost $4800.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-interest-in-pinball-temporary?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.