• Yes - don't care what others think 28 votes
    11%
  • Yes - geometry is off & game is FUBAR'd 81 votes
    31%

(261 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0485.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 5 years ago

I find Houdini to be a very HARD game as the shots are tight, the ball can be tough to get under control, and some of the objectives seem to be damn near impossible to complete. Yet, I really enjoy playing it! I also happen to really like the theme, artwork, sounds, and even the graphics which is certainly not the case with many of its detractors.

I don't think it's too hard though compared to some of my other games. TWD, for example, plays equally brutally and I've owned it for quite a while now.

I've made the following game adjustments from my initial set up which have helped increase its enjoyability:

- 5 balls (the BIG change)
- increased time limit of modes from 45 sec (default) to 60 sec
- decreased playfield slope from 6.5%+ to recommended 6%
- closed up outlane gaps to narrowest settings

My high score is 2.1 million and longest game has been about 20 minutes (both on 5 balls). I have never achieved more than 1 letter, played a mini wizard mode, or gotten beyond the second secret mission combo. It's still fun trying though!

#19 5 years ago

Played some late night Houdini games and had a blast! Those who dismiss the game early on as too hard/no fun are sadly missing out as it really opens up the more you play. Inner loop shot is no big deal anymore and at least 1-2 trunk multi-balls per game are typical. Completed a majority of the stage and jail escape modes along with scoring an extra ball in the card toss (a first for me ) in a final 26 min game.

Houdini is truly special and like no other game in my lineup. And ... it's about to get even better with the coming code update from AP!

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Next good game you have, take a pic of your center playfield and show us your Houdini curious what colors the lit inserts are.

Are you referring to the chain links, Houdini letters, or both?

#25 5 years ago

I'll make a mental note to check next time. I've never really paid much attention to these (or the chain links either for that matter) as I usually don't achieve more than a letter or two and I'm typically looking at the screen at the end of a game.

Quoted from pinballjj:

nice to make progress!! how many letters does a 26 minute game get you ? for the trunk mb and completing the modes you have to make some combo's ? can the time limit of modes be increased further ?

Not sure how many letters if any (see above). I tend to attack Houdini on a broad front and as far as I'm aware, I've yet to play (let alone complete) all 10 stage modes, or all 5 film modes, or all 5 jail escape modes, or all 5 secret mission combo shots in a game. Doing any of these earns you a letter. The times I've earned letters must have been for completing trunk or séance multi-ball jackpots or collecting all of the magic shop items.

Shot combos are required for the secret missions. The stage and film modes require a certain sequence of shots be made. Time limits on modes can be adjusted in the settings.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Those locks also light in Turquoise to indicated how many trunkmb locks you have.

I knew about the chain links lighting per non-stage modes completed, but (ashamedly) hadn't associated the locks lighting in the interim as an indicator for trunk multiball balls locked so far. Good info to know and use - thanks Josh.

Looking forward to the coming code update! How soon does AP expect to release it?

Quoted from pinballjj:

great info rosh! would love to see a gameplay video of someone with pro level skills play through the modes and letters even on the " enthusiast" setting . is there one out there or in the works?

A Bowen Kerins tutorial video would be great! Submit those requests for a Houdini video via his Patreon site.

https://www.patreon.com/pinball

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Well - people like me are actively not buying the game based on how it felt and shot. So there seems to be a delicate balance of challenge vs frustration.
My newest game is IMDN. The ramp shots are challenging for me. But I can get in a rhythm and hit them consistently and its rewarding. It seems most are not finding this on Houdini. So maybe it's slightly over the edge. Maybe not.

Yep - like all games, it's a matter of "to each their own". Some more than others.

I happened to sell a NIB IMDN LE in order to buy a Houdini. I routinely play an IMDN Premium on route now and in an ideal world, I'd own both games. No regrets though as I really love Houdini's challenging gameplay and distinctively different character.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well, ok so that was a back of the napkin estimate, for that ONE shot; Joe Balcer gave me some tips (slow ball, light touch at end of the flipper), but yeah I can make it pretty regularly

My tendency is to try and slam the ball in there. Consequently, I rarely seem to make this shot.

Gonna try your (and Joe's) recommended technique. Thanks.

#68 5 years ago

Yep - that one I've already realized. Just a light backhand will do ya.

But you know - the shots are TOO DAMN TIGHT and that's why Houdini's no fun. Or so I hear anyway.

5 months later
#77 5 years ago

I find the Secret Mission shots to be difficult as I'm still trying to get past the second one.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

just because it is a combo, does not mean you can't do a drop catch or similar Keep in mind it is not timed based, it is shot/switch based. So as along as you don't hit a 'kill' switch . . .

Thanks Josh. I apparently need to dial in my game further in order to enable performing a drop catch with the left flipper immediately after shooting the right orbit. Currently, the most left flipper contact I typically get with the ball, after doing so, is just a glance off of its extended tip.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-houdini-too-difficult-with-poll?tu=Tuna_Delight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.