• Yes - don't care what others think 28 votes
    11%
  • Yes - geometry is off & game is FUBAR'd 81 votes
    31%

(261 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0485.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Platypus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#73 5 years ago

I brought Houdini home about three weeks ago. At first I thought "oh man this game is too hard". but after a few games into it I was having lots of fun. My wife was a little slower coming around but is still learning the objectives. The variety of modes are great, tons of stuff to master,. This game will keep our interest for a long time. We have maybe 250 plays on it and looking forward to many more You need to be focused on what you are shooting for and I can hit all of the shots, although not always when I need too. We get lots of multiballs (5 or more a game) and stacking those with other modes is very rewarding. I am certainly becoming a better player thanks to this game.

Game flow? I have no complaints, the spinner is doable and always rewarding and makes for a perfect set up to the magic shop. Many people complain about drains from the key lane, my table rarely drains from there. I have had to adjust my scoop eject a little and the skill shot need a tweak too but I love how this game plays. I am on the latest code... It seems forgiving with the ball saves and the center post makes for welcome nudge saves.

The OP suggests adjusting game settings and I think that was the original point of this thread and so important to maximum enjoyment out of this unique machine. I have it set at 5 ball play, 60 sec modes and 5 ball max extra balls and some reduced completions for Houdini letters (oh and I turned off those irritating giggling girls) We regularly get games over 750k. 1.5 mill is our high score with three letters

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Great post - since buying last year, I have since reverted back my game to default settings, except I think I may award extra balls earlier than default. I do think the game is way too hard out of the box, but this also has something to do with it having SO much you can shoot for. I am getting to be really good at hitting the inner loop, and still can make the milk can shot pretty frequently. I have friends who still don't believe you can make that shot consistently (and won a Roger Sharpe bet that I could, on the first shot!). I think my only criticism at all is about the ramp - it is very very hard to hit that ramp consistently, and I do not understand why.
Still, IMO it's too hard to feel like you've achieved anything for most players - perhaps they should allow the stage to be open by default when you start your game, so you can get right into a mode.

I agree the ramp is rather hard, although I hit it a bunch when not trying. the Elephant illusion is maybe my least favorite.

first stage opening is rather easy requiring only a shot or two

Spelling seance is very doable by most players and that multiball is so much fun! and magic shop, often happens by accident but a good achievement.

I don't have a very hard time hitting the inner loop and enjoy setting up the lock at stage alley and FILM letters. all great objectives that are indeed rewarding. Several times I have hit the inner loop on the first flip off the plunge, sometimes coupled with ball locked skill shot and that feels like an accomplishment.

I often don't enjoy complex games when I first play them, primarily because I don't know the rules or what to shoot for. Houdini has great objective call outs and the color coded lighting that should be easy for newer players to pick up on.

#83 5 years ago

I like the secret mission I always keep it in mind and try for it. I get the first one fairly often. The second a couple of times now, but the third never yet.When the ball comes down fast from the left orbit I usually deflect to my right flipper which puts me in a bad position for the scoop.can you score the combo by hitting the left orbit or must it be right (counter clockwise)?

I like Jeffs two suggestions The magic "wildcards" add a nice element but are no gimmes.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

There are only some switches/shots that kill the combo, typically those tied to other major shots. So the SEANCE targets and slings, won't kill the combo. But, I'll take a look at it. I think that often folks are not focused on the missions, so even if they just need one more shot and it is still alive, they don't realize they can still make it and finish it.

That is good to know as I am never sure what "directly" meant. It sounds like mission 5 might not be that bad if I could only hit that damn milkcan more regularly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Platypus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-houdini-too-difficult-with-poll?tu=Platypus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.