(Topic ID: 172861)

Is High End Restoration Worth it?

By smiley

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0142 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0134 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0136 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0132 (resized).JPG
    100_0221 (resized).jpg
    100_0989 (resized).jpg
    100_0863 (resized).jpg
    20160812_170756 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rondogg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I say not. The joy of having a restoration is doing it yourself. Taking a way cheap beat up example and making it look better than new is fantastic. But over the years, they get just as dirty as everything else and time takes a toll.

I'm guessing most people who use hep aren't the kinds of people who put a lot of mileage on their machines.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's true. Remember the old RGP troll (we won't say his name). Every machine he had was HEP. Never played them, just would turn them on to look at them. Every game was plagued with error codes because they were never played. The room would echo with the all too common, bong bong bong. when the whole room was flipped on with one light switch.

Was that the douche with the kong? Landscaper?

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Yes for grail pins, I speak from experience as I'm about to do a complete restore and I will be using pro help for stuff I'm less confident on and want a professional finish on, cabinet is trashed so I'll have a cabinet made to as close as possible to an original SEGA cab (I'll be adding Stern lollipop rails that's one change I'll be making) with HD decals I've got made and in hand, plus all the powder coating.
    I'm a huge Bond fan so I brought a SEGA Goldeneye years ago because it was Bond, so for me it was a grail theme, the fact I love the game just made it even sweeter. Goldeneye isn't worth a huge amount on the market but I've probably spent twice its value buying up NOS parts - playfield, decals, plastic set, ramps, satellite dishes, new boards, all new mechs and mechinacal parts, translite, literally everything will be new except for the wiring harness
    Will I get my money back not a chance! But will it be "worth it?" Yes, to me and that's all that matters imo.

Such a great game and worthy of a premium restoration - what color are you powder coating the ramps?

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

GOLD
    I need to workout what will hold up better, plating the ramps or powder coating them? I'm open to experience and suggestions.
    I believe when the pin came out of the factory the wire forms where plated gold, they certainly look that way and I want to get a real bright shiny gold finish which I'm not sure powder coat will give me? So I'll probably go down that route as I want to restore it as close to factory as possible with a few upgrades along the way like lollipop rails and custom toys to replace the crappy factory ones.

I'm having my wire forms replated this winter myself. I did mine in as much amber as I could find. Golds and reds fit that theme perfect.

If you haven't already, check out the club here. Also, excellent restoration here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-goldeneye-restoration

Just an awesome underrated machine. Perfect for that slot in your lineup that needs a game with a lot of ramps.

#59 7 years ago

Patina is a good thing to a certain extent. Knowing a game has been in the wild and wondering about its voyage gives the game history.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rondogg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-high-end-restoration-worth-it?tu=rondogg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.