(Topic ID: 261538)

Is Haggis revolutionizing playfield production?

By Rascal_H

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinballwil
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you think?”

• Revolutionary 31 votes
      52%
    • I’m not sold 24 votes
      40%
    • Garbage 5 votes
      8%

(60 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200122_223901~01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200121_235955~01 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Judge for yourself

#2 4 years ago

Very impressive! I am not sure if there was just dust on the sample at the end or if there were scuffs; you could definitely see a border from where the ball could not reach around the middle of the piece.

I would honestly expect that with acrylic, but still very interesting! I am sure most of us would take a playfield we may have to polish once after pulling a game from route, over one you have to iron as a NIB...

#3 4 years ago

Cool demonstration. I would like to see the playfield after a couple thousand rounds of a big ass steel ball smahing around on top of it.

#4 4 years ago

In a way I’m kinda old school thinking pinball is meant to be the steel ball on a wood surface. But I also like the idea of having my expensive game look good forever.

#5 4 years ago

Cool, now all they have to do is change their name so I don’t have to think of the most vile revolting “food” ever when I see their games.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Cool, now all they have to do is change their name so I don’t have to think of the most vile revolting “food” ever when I see their games.

And can they make a game that isn’t “Celts”

#7 4 years ago

I want to know how it handles posts and whatnot being over-tightened. Acrylic is not famous for torque resistance.

#8 4 years ago

I saw this and wondered how there wasn't a thread about it yet. I question how it will hold up to hazing/scratches in real world scenarios (I see in the comments they plan to test this as well).

#9 4 years ago

They achieved impressive results

BUT the plywood is now thinner so it will be interesting to see how a playfield with alot of mechs may start to cause a sag - I suppose it comes down to how this is being assembled - acrylic resting on top of the playfield or the the top and mechs sandwiching the playfield

#10 4 years ago

Wonder how different the art application is. Could it be more susceptible to sunlight and fading or is it still applied to the wood and cleared like a traditional playfield?

#11 4 years ago

Isn’t this already a thread?

#12 4 years ago

Is this on the same idea as a Bally Speakeasy playfield? Or something different all together?
    -Mike

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Isn’t this already a thread?

I don’t know... searched the word “Haggis” on a bunch of pages and used the Pinside search feature. Didn’t come up with anything.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I don’t know... searched the word “Haggis” on a bunch of pages and used the Pinside search feature. Didn’t come up with anything.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haggis-pinball-defeats-dimpling-and-pooling-with-sledgehammer-test

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If you ever go to Scotland I highly recommend trying haggis.
    I too thought it sounded gross and all I could think of was that line in So I Married an Ax Murderer where Michael Myers say “I think all Scottish cuisine is based on a dare”.
    When I was in Edinburgh I decided to try it and to my surprise I liked it so I much I ate it several times on that trip.

It’s kind of akin to sausages in a strange way, but I think it’s pretty good.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

If you ever go to Scotland I highly recommend trying haggis.
    I too thought it sounded gross and all I could think of was that line in So I Married an Ax Murderer where Michael Myers say “I think all Scottish cuisine is based on a dare”.
    When I was in Edinburgh I decided to try it and to my surprise I liked it so I much I ate it several times on that trip.
    It’s kind of akin to sausages in a strange way, but I think it’s pretty good.

Never. I haven’t eaten meat in over 20 years. If I ever “cheated”, it’d be with a Chicago deep dish pizza, not that gruesome horror plate.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Never. I haven’t eaten meat in over 20 years. If I ever “cheated”, it’d be with a Chicago deep dish pizza, not that gruesome horror plate.

Fair enough.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

lol

#20 4 years ago

If only deeproot had thought of it.
    I sure hope they don't try to infringe on haggis' design

#21 4 years ago

I lived in Scotland for over a year, and tried Haggis a few times and it ain't that bad,
    The ingredients sounds worse than what it actually tastes like.

The new Haggis Playfield design, looks kinda like those Spanish InterFlip pins from late 70s
    which had acrylic Playfields, and they have held up very well over the years.
    Also Sonic/Segasa used some special coating that made their Playfield look as good as new after 50 yrs of use.

2 weeks later
    #22 4 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

They achieved impressive results
    BUT the plywood is now thinner so it will be interesting to see how a playfield with alot of mechs may start to cause a sag - I suppose it comes down to how this is being assembled - acrylic resting on top of the playfield or the the top and mechs sandwiching the playfield

thinner wood means shorter screws.
    More loose megs.
    Its more easy to make a normal playfield and put a 1.5 mm polycarbonate on top off it.
    Polycarbonate is Unbreakable but perplex is not.
    Cost 15 euro.
    And it works on every brand and playfield.
    No more pooling.
    What is 15 euro for a 6500-15000 machine?.

IMG_20200121_235955~01 (resized).jpgIMG_20200121_235955~01 (resized).jpg
    #23 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

More loose megs.
    Its more easy to make a normal playfield and put a 1.5 mm polycarbonate on top off it.
    Cost 15 euro.
    No more pooling.
    What is 15 euro for a 6500-15000 machine?.[quoted image]

No offense, but that looks like shit.
    Especially the roll overs.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I've seen that image posted a few times and I have no idea what I'm looking at. It's like an impressionist painting of an image of his playfield.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

More loose megs.
    Cost 15 euro.
    No more pooling.
    What is 15 euro for a 6500-15000 machine?.[quoted image]

This photo gives me nightmares, is this an advert to use this product or DONT use it as it looks shiteeeee. Like it was cut with a steak knife or something??

#26 4 years ago

Also can you just put a tiny layer of clear over the acrylic? Might cause the ball not to skid as much and feel tiny bit more like a standard pf?

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Yes correct, it look like shit.
    Its handmade not finished yet.
    Its better to laser cut.
    Some afther market company can do this 1000 times better.
    Btw: this "painting" looks like this, its my homebrew playfield in progress.
    Its was the idea i wanted to show, not my game.
    IMG_20200122_223901~01 (resized).jpgIMG_20200122_223901~01 (resized).jpg

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Also can you just put a tiny layer of clear over the acrylic? Might cause the ball not to skid as much and feel tiny bit more like a standard pf?

Why? it plays like all machines with a playfield protector or mylar sticker.
    Its not acrylic, that can break.
    Its polycarbonate, cant break and skits less than acylic and other hard plastics.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-haggis-revolutionizing-playfield-production and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.