Topic poll

“Is Guardians of the Galaxy an underrated/under appreciated pin?”

• Yes 68 votes
    54%
  • No 59 votes
    46%

(127 votes)

#1 3 years ago

I’ve been keeping my eye out for a newer Stern pin to add to my collection. I’m intrigued by Guardians of the Galaxy. I’ve played it on location and have enjoyed it very much. However, I never hear much about it, but I also never see it on the secondary market. What are everyone’s thoughts? Is it a hidden gem so to speak?

#2 3 years ago

I love my GotG pro. The rules are fun, it has some good clear goals to go for (cherry bomb, immolation initiative, save xandar), and the game has a great theme and incorporation of the movie.

Mine isn't leaving.

#3 3 years ago

I have a feeling amongst owners of the pin your opinion isn’t unique.

#4 3 years ago

I say yes - and have had my eye out for a bit they dont come up often. If your reading this don't agree and what a STNG you know what to do. Louisville

#5 3 years ago

I have the Cleland sound package on my LE which inserts the real actors voices and I really enjoy it. It’s right next to a Metallica Pro and I can go back and forth between the two of them and don’t get sick of either of them despite the similar layout.

#6 3 years ago

I love mine and don't see it leaving any time soon. It's probably my second favorite machine I own behind Metallica.

I think the initial code was really bad and it was judged by many as a dumpster fire back then. But with current code (and Cleland's sound mod), it is really a fun game.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

I have the Cleland sound package on my LE which inserts the real actors voices and I really enjoy it. It’s right next to a Metallica Pro and I can go back and forth between the two of them and don’t get sick of either of them despite the similar layout.

To me this sound package took the game from Good to I want

#8 3 years ago

Get the game, the cleland code, and a Pinwoofer kit and enjoy your interactive movie experience. Love the Rocket shot.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Love the Rocket shot.

Oh yeah! I also have an F-14 because one of the shots I love is the Yagov kickback.

#10 3 years ago

We have had our LE since new and love it. It is a good solid game with plenty to keep you interested and coning back for more We have no plans of letting it go at this stage.

Pinball is all about you and what you like.

#11 3 years ago

My brother owns it and loves it. I never got to play much other than the original release that was pretty lack luster. You had early (or just uninteresting?) code, Met layout, and peeps were not liking the non speaking movie clips.
Seem to be getting some love these days now tht it's more put together so I'd still say maybe so

#12 3 years ago

I think they're underrated for sure, I prefer GOTG over MET personally (they seem to get compared a lot due to similar layouts) and the Cleland mod fixes the biggest issue I have with the game. Would love to own one in the future.

#13 3 years ago

It’s a hidden gem for sure. With Cleland code this sucker is bolted to the floor

#14 3 years ago

I sold my met so on my radar now for sure! Should go nicely with my other underrated bargain game, Aerosmith, which comes next week

Presently is a toss up between GOG and a Maiden pro... will see what the universe throws at me first.

#15 3 years ago

I got one for me and my son. The last stern game we had was GB premium. I loved the art of GB the movie callouts. But the game was just a bit too constantly frustrating. Even with the new code it wasn't quite right for us.
Gotg has really re ignited my sons love for Pinball. He has always loved the movie and the music from the film. We have Clelands new code and a shaker and sub....it really kicks ass.
The rule set is detailed but simple to understand and there are lots of visual cues . the game still has a few tight shots but the flow still exists when you find your footing. Great multiballs and the art package isn't too bad either .....under rated....probably

#16 3 years ago

As the OP, if anybody wants to sell me one let me know!

#17 3 years ago

Great pin with Cleland sound but there is no option for rated accurately. It's a fun pin that everyone know is fun. The reason most people don't talk about it is because it's the least popular "Borg bash up the middle" design. Also, some people find the cutscenes repeating annoying.

That said it's one of my favorite modern Sterns so if you like the theme then go for it.

#18 3 years ago

Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga

Worth it for that, alone.

#19 3 years ago

Very underrated! Turned out to be a great one.

#20 3 years ago

I've only played it about 20 times but I think it's a great game. Satisfying shots, sound and animations are awesome, and I never feel lost.
Not sure if it's an apt comparison, but I enjoy it as much as Iron Man

#21 3 years ago

Ok what problems does the Cleland code solve?

#22 3 years ago

I personally thought the game was overrated. Game wasn’t terrible by any means. It just wasn’t my cup of tea.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Ok what problems does the Cleland code solve?

Lackluster call outs and music. Brings the total package together and the soundtrack is second to none now.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I personally thought the game was overrated. Game wasn’t terrible by any means. It just wasn’t my cup of tea.

Ok cool...what is your cup of tea? and why didn't GOTG do it for you? Did you get a lot if time to explore it or was it on location?. ...I always appreciate a counter opinion but only when it is examined and explained...... That is...if you have a sec...

#25 3 years ago

I was unaware this code exists.
Really need to play one of these now.

#26 3 years ago

Cleland did what Stern should have done. Made it a music pin with an adventure theme. You know ...Guardians of the Galaxy

#27 3 years ago

I think so. The playfield is extremely similar to the much higher rated met. With Cleland update, its a fun sounding game too.

That said, I owned one for a year and enjoyed it but I could never really get extremely into it as much as some of my other games.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I was unaware this code exists.
Really need to play one of these now.

cleland is f'n legend for what he did with this game and TWD, probably more too. Check out the thread and watch the Twitch stream that twenty84 recently posted. There are even multiple flavors of his work https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-sound-replacment-mod

Personally I think this game is a gem of the most recent Stern Pros and you can still get a decent deal on HUO ones occasionally.

#29 3 years ago

Any strong opinions with respect to Pro vs. Premium/LE?

#30 3 years ago

Love the movies, loved the Cleland audio and music, loved the MET like layout...but I just got tired of the repetition of the movie lines in the cut scenes and sold it after about a year. I don't think it is underrated, but it would be good in a larger collection, especially if you don't already have a MET.

Quoted from Krupps4:

Any strong opinions with respect to Pro vs. Premium/LE?

I had a Pro and did not feel like I was giving up too much...but the LE sure is pretty.

#31 3 years ago

The Premium has a great light show and a spinner, the Groot hands are cool but some people feel they block the view of a shot or two. The spinner is the only thing game-play wise you're missing in the pro.

#32 3 years ago

I had a pro briefly w/some nice mods. Love the movie and them, but it was just kind of "meh" for me. Get orb multiball staged, and/or Groot ready, start a mode, start a multi ball, rinse and repeat. It was fast and fine but not remarkable.

One annoyance was lack of call outs when shooting. I had a sound mod installed and you really have to pay attention to what's lit. There are zero audio clues. The overdubbed scenes are pointless.

#33 3 years ago

It's a really solid game now. Fun with good rules.

But has the curse of a terrible release. Was so boring originally.

#34 3 years ago

Who cares if its overrated or underrated? If u like the game that's all that matters.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Who cares if its overrated or underrated? If u like the game that's all that matters.

I agree completely. I was just curious what people thought. That’s all. I always walk to the beat of my own drum. Trust me.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

As the OP, if anybody wants to sell me one let me know!

They're still in production - just buy one.

#37 3 years ago

lackluster when released. very good pin with updated code. cherry bomb mb my favorite. traded my le for tna w butter cab, i figured id find another le someday. guess what, you hardly see them for sale.

#38 3 years ago

Really solid game once the code matured, IMO. I am not a huge fan of the theme, but its a good shooting game. Cleland mod is a must. This is also one that you can throw a noob on and they can get the hang of pinball rules fairly easily. Pick a character and shoot the arrows. I personally think the pro is the best model on this one. The Groot hands obstructing your view and a couple spinners are not worth the extra money to me. I wound up selling my game to a friend who is a huge fan of the movie...so I could still go play it if I wanted to.

#39 3 years ago

I really hate to say it, but in my opinion it's overrated if anything. It's a solid game, but just about as vanilla as they come both in layout and ruleset. There just isn't anything special about it that you haven't seen before over and over in better games. It's also missing atmosphere and character, which is important to me in a game. The Cleland sound mod helps that by capturing more of the movie characters and music, but it is still literally just playing scenes in the background while you play. It never sucks you in to feel like you are a part of what is happening. Then there is my biggest pet peeve...the mid-point mini-wizard mode is a completely unthemed mode that simply plays a song that happens to be in the movie. Just zero effort whatsoever put into that one. They could have at least had the Milano flying around the screen or something, but nope...let's just put some generic cherries and bombs up there since the song is named Cherry Bomb...brilliant! Why bother with pesky theming? That's kind of an analogy for the entire game, unfortunately. I really loved mine for a few weeks, then once the honeymoon effect wore off I realized there is just nothing special about the game. Solid all around, sure, but not a keeper for me, which is a shame. I REALLY wanted to love it and have a keeper as I am a huge fan of the theme.

As always...just my opinion. I know there are many that love the game, and I am happy for them, and wish I were one of them!

#40 3 years ago

I recently got to play a gotg pro at my local player one.I personally didn’t enjoy at all.I thought of it as a plastic mess and a boring game to play.The shots didn’t appeal to me at all,I felt like the modes were bland,the music was ok, and didn’t have much fun playing it.I definitely agree that it’s overrated but,that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get one.All people in the pinball community look for different aspects in a game then other people do.I think you should play the game first before making a decision on whether or not you’re getting the game.Maybe one day I’ll give another chance if I see one.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I really hate to say it, but in my opinion it's overrated if anything. It's a solid game, but just about as vanilla as they come both in layout and ruleset. There just isn't anything special about it that you haven't seen before over and over in better games. It's also missing atmosphere and character, which is important to me in a game. The Cleland sound mod helps that by capturing more of the movie characters and music, but it is still literally just playing scenes in the background while you play. It never sucks you in to feel like you are a part of what is happening. Then there is my biggest pet peeve...the mid-point mini-wizard mode is a completely unthemed mode that simply plays a song that happens to be in the movie. Just zero effort whatsoever put into that one. They could have at least had the Milano flying around the screen or something, but nope...let's just put some generic cherries and bombs up there since the song is named Cherry Bomb...brilliant! Why bother with pesky theming? That's kind of an analogy for the entire game, unfortunately. I really loved mine for a few weeks, then once the honeymoon effect wore off I realized there is just nothing special about the game. Solid all around, sure, but not a keeper for me, which is a shame. I REALLY wanted to love it and have a keeper as I am a huge fan of the theme.
As always...just my opinion. I know there are many that love the game, and I am happy for them, and wish I were one of them!

For someone who hated to say it you sure took your time to do it!!

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

It's a solid game, but just about as vanilla as they come both in layout and ruleset. There just isn't anything special about it that you haven't seen before over and over in better games.

I appreciate your point of view - curious to hear what you'd consider as an alternative to GotG for your collection that checks some of the boxes you mentioned.

2 months later
#43 3 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

Just set my Pro up and the crappy voiceovers are a felony, IMO. I read a bunch about Cleland music (including in my recent PMs w Cleland)...but does his file also sub in the real actors?

Praying for a yes...

Mike

#44 3 years ago

Not a huge fan. If I want to play "that kind of game" I'll be much happier with Iron Man, Metallica, or any other number of virtually identical Borg games that aren't saddled with a dumb theme for a movie I'm never going to watch.

It's rated just right. Not like you see people blowing them out for Munsters prices. Plenty of people bought it, want to buy it, and like it.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from slcorrado:

Just set my Pro up and the crappy voiceovers are a felony, IMO. I read a bunch about Cleland music (including in my recent PMs w Cleland)...but does his file also sub in the real actors?
Praying for a yes...
Mike

Yes...all the voice overs are movie samples on the Cleland mod.

#46 3 years ago

Yes, we LOVE our GOTG Pro. It's a keeper in our collection. We also have Deadpool and while it's fun, we like GOTG more for sure. After cleland sound mod (must do) I feel this game is highly underrated. Its easy to step up to any time and enjoy, but also takes time to progress through the modes to get to Wizard Modes. Groot is fun, Orb is fun, orbits are smooth, ramps and rocket shot challenging. Really love this game. But be ready for the Borg left outlane fun!

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from slcorrado:

Praying for a yes...
Mike

The real question is why haven't you already installed either the cleland or applejuice code? Game is a lot of fun and to counter CrazyLevi it plays nothing like Metallica and you don't have to listen to their shitty music while playing. It also doesn't suffer from the chopping wood rules of Metallica.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 25.00
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 28.00
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-guardians-of-the-galaxy-underrated?hl=thegunnett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.