• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pf18 (resized).jpg
IMG_0532 (resized).JPG
72418031 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooldan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 7 years ago

we're having the same kind of discussions over in the UK in our forum, except even gloomier as our £ just plummeted so US-made goods cost us even more. so we go back to discussing livestock and our treasured historical monuments.

was there a winner from Expo? us Limeys seem to mostly agree that Batman66 is a joke at that price, Alien looks great and is well priced, but the most fun-looking of them all is the unlicensed Pat Lawlor game that's been set at such a ridiculously high price that nobody i know will be buying one. shame. so yes, we all recognise the greed at work by Stern and Joisey Jackoff, and it's not earning either of those companies any good PR.

bring on Homepin. Buy Heighway. nothing will kill pinball, but this may give it a severe case of diarrhoea and vomiting.

1 week later
#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Quoted from cooldan: we're having the same kind of discussions over in the UK in our forum, except even gloomier as our £ just plummeted so US-made goods cost us even more. so we go back to discussing livestock and our treasured historical monuments.

I get your not happy with your brexit Euro vs USD... but really you just liked the fact that you could get the machine for cheaper than usa. Now that the Euro is weaker; it's now not cool that you have to pay near what we pay? Seems... off.

what on earth are you talking about? pins have always been cheapest in the US where they're made - in recent years we typically paid the same in pounds as you guys did in dollars for a game (a year ago, a NIB game that was $7000 in US (say) was £7000 in the UK) - and a pound is worth more than a dollar, according to conversion rates. used to be about 1.6, currently only 1.2. all other countries apart from the manufacturing country have to bear the costs for transportation, import tax, customs charges, even currency conversion admin fees.

if your currency is strong, it buys relatively more dollars and makes US products relatively cheaper. my point was that the weak pound makes this already-way-more-expensive-than-in-the-US luxury product another 25-30% more expensive to import, as a pound now buys 25-30% less dollars than it did a few months ago. please let me know if i misunderstood you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooldan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-greed-finally-going-to-kill-pinball?tu=cooldan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.