(Topic ID: 184115)

Is Great Lakes Modular still in Business?

By sulli10

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Twister
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180416-123301 (resized).png
    There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago

IMHO, if you have LEDs in the game, I would get GiOCD without a second thought. Otherwise, I can make a replacment board for you in about a month, if they're still needed.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

Since I couldn’t get a response from GLM I ordered the GIOCD for System 11s to put in its place.. haven’t done it yet, will eventually, just hacked it to the back for now. It should work based on the GIOCD description..

Yeah, they do definitely work in Taxi. I currently have a friend's Taxi on a temporary trade with them installed, and it works great.

Be aware, though, that it is not a drop in replacement. It requires that you put the GI OCD in series with the AC power supply by cutting the wires and adding a couple of connectors.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I need a few system 11 GI relay boards...following with interest as I can't get a reply either .

I have some original sys 11 relay for sale that you are searching.

3 weeks later
    #54 5 years ago

on his website is stated :

January 20, 2018
    Business Update

Over the past year, manufacturing and processing orders have become increasingly difficult due to both personal and professional reasons. We are working to solve these issues, but finding the right solution will take time.

Please be patient and understand that we will continue to manufacture and support our products as best as we possibly can.

Thank you for your support and business over the past 12 years!

so not so good news for us , hoping he will come back realy ..

#55 5 years ago

Yes...

He’s apparently stopped responding to emails and PMs (at least he hasn’t responded to mine). Sure would be nice to have GLM back on the map!

#56 5 years ago

Is he filling orders if they are placed?

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Is he filling orders if they are placed?

you can't order - orders were always contact him as I recall...

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

you can't order - orders were always contact him as I recall...

Correct, you contact him via [email protected] with what you want. Then he sends an invoice for it via PayPal.

#59 5 years ago

I emailed him over a month ago and haven't heard anything...Hopefully, he'll be back before too long.

#60 5 years ago

He is platinum. Hope all is well with him.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Hope all is well with him.

I wonder if anyone here knows him and could check in on him for us. We don't need details but it would be nice to know that he's doing ok and if he has a plan to return or not.

5 months later
    #62 5 years ago

Anyone have any luck contacting GLM? Or, perhaps, know what the deal is?

1 month later
    #63 5 years ago
    Quoted from knazzo:

I have some original sys 11 relay for sale that you are searching.

I need SY11-RB1-A
    System 11 24V Solenoid and GI Relay Board
    OEM P/N #C-11998
    PCB #5768-12243-00

Do you have one?

#64 5 years ago

I'm starting to think that these guys are never coming back. January will be a year since they posted that they were having some issues that would take time to resolve. I'm still holding out hope that they'll come back but with each passing month it feels more and more like they're done for good.

#65 5 years ago

I haven’t heard back from him either and I emailed a week ago. Seems to be a lot of people lining up to purchase from them. Don’t understand how you can turn away money like that, must be a pretty big problem or really doesn’t need the money lol

#66 5 years ago

Great products, very innovative. Maybe someone else will step in? Business abhores a vacuum...

On a personal note hope Tony is ok.

#67 5 years ago

Yeah. I hope that there’s not any health issues with Tony or his family.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Yeah. I hope that there’s not any health issues with Tony or his family.

Tony is fine. He posts on Facebook often. He and his wife seem to be doing fine.

Never a mention of his business, which is a shame. Too bad someone else couldn't fill in where Tony left off.

#69 5 years ago

If anyone knows where to get the 6 ball trough opto emmitter collector bds I would like to buy a set for IJ.

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Tony is fine. He posts on Facebook often. He and his wife seem to be doing fine.
    Never a mention of his business, which is a shame. Too bad someone else couldn't fill in where Tony left off.

hey @rkahr maybe you can work something out with him and you can take over some of his PCB projects! That would be a nice match..

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Then not sure why he gave up his business.

He has the intelligence to truly make awesome upgrades. Maybe tired of the dumbasses who always pressure small businesses. They are the SOLE reason I won’t open my own shop. While punching someone is satisfying in a heated argument, it’s ALWAYS bad for income.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Byran, it seems like you might know Tony, or at least know enough about him to be stalking him on facebook. Any chance you could send him a message on Facebook and ask him what his plans are for his business. There are many of us out there that are hoping that he'll come back so we can buy products from him.

Dave

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Byran, it seems like you might know Tony, or at least know enough about him to be stalking him on facebook. Any chance you could send him a message on Facebook and ask him what his plans are for his business. There are many of us out there that are hoping that he'll come back so we can buy products from him.
    Dave

I got to know Tony visiting with him at past shows. We just happen to be friends on Facebook. Nothing more. I'll send him a message and see if he responds.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'll send him a message and see if he responds.

I don't think we can ask you do anything more than that. I'm sure he's aware that he's got fans of his products out here and we just want to know if he's coming back or not. I sent him an email for a product last March I believe. I never heard anything from him. His website hasn't been updated in almost a year. If he's never coming back it would be good for us to know. If he's not coming back and he can work with someone else to produce his products, that would be awesome.

If nothing else, if we could get an update on what's happening, that would be great.

So, if you wouldn't mind reaching out, that would be great.

Dave

#75 5 years ago

Ask how much he wants for the gerber files and boms.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I got to know Tony visiting with him at past shows. We just happen to be friends on Facebook. Nothing more. I'll send him a message and see if he responds.

Coolness Bryan. Thank you. We miss him and his awesome tech.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Coolness Bryan. Thank you. We miss him and his awesome tech.

Message has been sent. I'll let you know if/when he replies.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Ask how much he wants for the gerber files and boms.

This sounds like an interesting idea. I wonder of he would sell provided he wanted out. I'd be interested could be a neat side business.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

This sounds like an interesting idea. I wonder of he would sell provided he wanted out. I'd be interested could be a neat side business.

The margins on his twilight zone light board look insane.

2 weeks later
    #80 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Message has been sent. I'll let you know if/when he replies.

Tony got back to me last night. Not much for details but he did say his normal job has him working more hours than he'd like and any free time is spent with family and friends. Doesn't sound like he's doing anything with GPM. He did mention looking into a third party to produce his products but finding someone to do that involves a ton of time he does not have. There's also quality concerns if someone else were to make his products.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Tony got back to me last night. Not much for details but he did say his normal job has him working more hours than he'd like and any free time is spent with family and friends. Doesn't sound like he's doing anything with GPM. He did mention looking into a third party to produce his products but finding someone to do that involves a ton of time he does not have. There's also quality concerns if someone else were to make his products.

Thanks for the update. Don’t know if this has been asked but does Tony have existing stock available for purchase? Or was everything made to order?

#82 5 years ago

Bryan_Kelly thanks for the update...it basically sounds like he's done for good. I mean, it's been over a year, and he doesn't seem interested in returning to his business. I guess the only hope is that he'll retire from his everyday job and pick up his business again. How long that's going to be is anyone's guess.

Dave

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

glad he is happy, but please bend his ear to let him know there are many people really in need of some of the great parts he used to supply.

Hell, I think many of us would buy him out of his complete catalog if he said he would come back and do it for 3-6 months and then was closing up shop.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

If anyone knows where to get the 6 ball trough opto emmitter collector bds I would like to buy a set for IJ.

I have these. Email me directly.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

I have these. Email me directly.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Rob >> you should reach out to GLM!!!

You are the one guy that instantly came to mind as someone that could do him proud to maintain quality!!!!

#86 5 years ago

I can't keep up with what I'm doing now. Don't know how I'd be able to add a whole other full product line.

I consider Tony a good friend, and can't say it hasn't crossed my mind to see if we could work something out. Just don't know how to add more time to the day.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

I can't keep up with what I'm doing now. Don't know how I'd be able to add a whole other full product line.
    I consider Tony a good friend, and can't say it hasn't crossed my mind to see if we could work something out. Just don't know how to add more time to the day.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Did you ever find a helper? I remember in the past you were looking for someone. Its tough to find good help im sure.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Thanks for the heads up Bryan. Here’s to hoping Tony is happy, and someone picks up his legacy.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Thanks for the heads up Bryan. Here’s to hoping Tony is happy, and someone picks up his legacy.

Perfect response. It's really disappointing to hear Tony and GLM may be done - I'm a bit confused as to why he wouldn't want to turn things over to someone else, but perhaps it's just about finding the right person. These businesses are certainly not huge money-makers (if they were, I presume we'd all be quitting our day jobs!) but obviously are really appreciated in the community

1 week later
    #90 5 years ago

I really hope someone picks up this business... so many of need these boards. Would be ashame to have them disappear.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I really hope someone picks up this business... so many of need these boards. Would be ashame to have them disappear.

There is someone starting to make TZ mini playfield micro switch kits. Have one on the way, looking forward to seeing how it looks.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

There is someone starting to make TZ mini playfield micro switch kits. Have one on the way, looking forward to seeing how it looks.

I'm on the fence with this product. Would love if you posted some pics and a review on the TZ page when you get them installed.

#93 5 years ago

This company never responds to me!!! I have inquired about parts for my TZ with no response. Terrible customer service. Not sure how they sell anything!!

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from calprog:

This company never responds to me!!! I have inquired about parts for my TZ with no response. Terrible customer service. Not sure how they sell anything!!

Clearly you have not been reading this thread. GLM seems like it it slowing/ shutting down after lots of time helping out the community. Bad for us, probably good for Tony's mental state! Haha

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Link available? Ready for sale or still in development?

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from calprog:

C’mon man. This was a sarcastic response, right?

#97 5 years ago

Edit - Sold already

#98 5 years ago

PinRob, PM sent

#99 5 years ago

I do wish Tony the best. It will be a shame to lose his great business. Just looking at website shows so many great products.
    His system 11 interconnect board saved my ass several times. Great board.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

C’mon man. This was a sarcastic response, right?

People with reading comprehension this strong is probably what makes selling aftermarket boards so fun

I can't imagine the number of people buying a board to fix "x" problem, then bitching to the seller, and the problem has nothing to do with the board AT ALL (like complaining that changing your car's oil did not fix your power window... must be fun...).

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-great-lakes-modular-still-in-business-1/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.